The Ninja Lanternshark is a Real Animal, Great Last-Minute Stocking Stuffer

PatrickJS

Jun 8, 2015
The Ninja Lanternshark is a Real Animal, Great Last-Minute Stocking Stuffer

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1023/1023919.jpg

When scientists ask their young cousins for help in naming an odd new shark, the result is the Ninja Lanternshark.

What do you call a glow-in-the-dark shark, with skin as black night? Well, if you are the young cousins of researcher Vicky Vasquez, you'd obviously name it the Ninja Lanternshark.

The odd little shark, measuring just a foot and a half (perfect stocking size, shoppers!), lives off the coast of Central America, deep in the abyss. Its twin qualities - camouflage perfect for the dark, and its brightly glowing skin - offer it significant advantages in hunting far below the sun, though scientists are still trying to figure out how.

Its scientific name is Etmopterus benchleyi, after original author of Jaws, Peter Benchley.

There remains an entire world's worth of discoveries in the depths of the Earth's oceans. Like a... gift waiting to be unwrapped, I suppose? Anyways. Happy holidays, everyone!

Source: Business Insider [http://www.businessinsider.com/the-most-unusual-sharks-ranked-ninja-lantern-2015-12?r=UK&IR=T]

Sep 24, 2008
I'm sorry, but with a straight up comic book name like Vicky Vasquez, I'm just waiting for her to find out it's Glowing because it's Radioactive. So once she gets bitten, she can become Ninjark or whatever name she'd come up with.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
In brightest day, in darkest night,
No fish shall escape it's sight.
Let those who demand a fish's right
Beware it's power--Ninja Lanternshark's Bite!

Stupidity

Sep 21, 2013
RatGouf said:
In brightest day, in darkest night,
No fish shall escape it's sight.
Let those who demand a fish's right
Beware it's power--Ninja Lanternshark's Bite!
Thanks
Now I can't not picture it flying around in a green spandex uniform. It wouldn't even be the strangest member of the Green Lanterns.

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
Finally some classically good Escapist articles. Enjoy reading these snippets about the science realm that just gets pushed away from normal media coverage.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
PatrickJS said:
There remains an entire world's worth of discoveries in the depths of the Earth's oceans. Like a... gift waiting to be unwrapped, I suppose? Anyways. Happy holidays, everyone!
Sure, if you enjoy gifts in the form of H. R. Giger's deepest, darkest nightmares but who doesn't, right!