Star Wars: The Force Awakens Dominates Again, Rushes Past $1 Billion

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Star Wars: The Force Awakens Dominates Again, Rushes Past $1 Billion

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1024/1024301.png
Star Wars: The Force Awakens has made a billion dollars just twelve days after its release.

Even before the movie came out, we would have felt safe in saying that Star Wars: The Force Awakens was going to be a financial success. After all, it's Star Wars. Even the 3D re-release of The Phantom Menace managed <a href=http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=releases&id=starwars3d.htm>to make money and we already knew how poor a film that was. That being the case, there was always the question of just how much money <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/165634-Star-Wars-Franchise-Is-Worth-More-Than-Harry-Potter-And-James-Bond-Combined>The Force Awakens would make. The answer, it would seem, is all of it.

The slightly more accurate answer, at least as of this past weekend, is a billion dollars. That's right folks, after only 12 days in theaters, The Force Awakens worldwide ticket sales have reached a billion dollars. This breaks yet another box office record, knocking <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/165586-The-Force-Awakens-Takes-Box-Office-Record-From-Jurassic-World>Jurassic World from its previous position as the fastest film to make a billion. The Force Awakens also crossed the billion dollar threshold in half the time as Disney's other big 2015 blockbuster: Avengers: Age of Ultron.

What remains to be seen, of course, is just how much money The Force Awakens will ultimately make. <a href=http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Early-Star-Wars-Predictions-Huge-72195.html>Early projections had predicted that it would make close to two billion dollars but still fail to exceed the grand totals of both Titanic (2.1 billion) and Avatar (2.7 billion). With the movie's profits already making history however, many fans of the film are likely wondering it might even rise higher than those.

Source: CNN

Link XL1

Apr 6, 2010
and GTA 5 is sitting at the billion dollar finish line, just like "bro I've been here since the third day! where've you been!?"

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I am curious to see if it beats Avatar. I believe it will overtake Titanic, seeing as it's already halfway there in only twelve days, but Avatar is a bit farther. Time will tell.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Link XL1 said:
and GTA 5 is sitting at the billion dollar finish line, just like "bro I've been here since the third day! where've you been!?"
Isn't comparing $1 billion in sales of a $60 game to $1 billion sales of a $12 movie ticket a little in the "apples and oranges" category?

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Yep, Disney will certainly be building a real Death Star very soon. Alright kids, time to get ready for the rebellion.

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Parasondox said:
Yep, Disney will certainly be building a real Death Star very soon. Alright kids, time to get ready for the rebellion.
Dude, I've been ready this my entire life. Dibs on the X-Wings! :)

Justank

Nov 17, 2010
The Rogue Wolf said:
Isn't comparing $1 billion in sales of a $60 game to $1 billion sales of a $12 movie ticket a little in the "apples and oranges" category?
Anyone know if there's a static number counted per ticket sale or if it's the actual amount? I'm curious as prices vary wildly around the U.S., and I went on a Tuesday to a theater that does $5 tickets on Tuesdays, so it was less than a normal ticket for both me and my wife.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
biggest test of all is in a week or so when it opens in chinese cinemas the largest film market in the world, if star wars can crack that the skies the limits

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I think it's worth noting that in a lot of places, Star Wars couldn't make more money.

The theater around these parts has literally been sold out all week.