The Original Run of Pokemon Cards is Getting a Reprint

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
The Original Run of Pokemon Cards is Getting a Reprint

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1024/1024413.png
The original run of Pokemon cards is being reprinted for the collectible card game's 20th anniversary.

If you missed out on getting that kick-ass limited edition foil Charizard from the original print of Pokemon cards, you may have another chance. The Pokemon Company has just announced plans to reprint a complete run of the original series of cards [http://www.pokemon-card.com/products/xy/20th.html] in Japan, in order to celebrate the game's 20th anniversary.

The cards will be sold in a special 60-card collector set, which will include a player's manual and a coin. Featured on the cards are designs identical to their 20-year-old counterparts, which first launched in Japan in 1996. It's not known if there will be additional randomized boosters to allow players to collect all 102 cards from the original base set.

As with the those cool limited edition Pokemon-themed 2DSs [http://www.engadget.com/2015/12/28/japan-gets-nintendos-2ds-in-limited-edition-pokemon-colors/], so far this promotion has only been announced for Japan. A good sign is that the official art for the promotion does show off both the US and Japanese card backs for the game, so fingers crossed that it makes it state-side!

Source: The Pokemon Company [http://www.pokemon-card.com/products/xy/20th.html]

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
I wonder if they'll make them like the original holofoil too. I preferred how they made those backgrounds over the new versions.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
"Pocket Monsters"...

...A year before the end of the Empire, in fact. Two years before the final flight out of the old airport and the closure of the runway. I suddenly feel deeply saddened.

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
But those cards suck
No, really, most of those cards are worthless in an actual pokmeon battle, especially since the power creep. Most of the legendaries use too much energy, along side teh coveted Charizard. and let's not forget that many pokemon had no way of attacking at all. Looking at you, Ghastly.

syl3r

Oct 21, 2014
Objectable said:
But those cards suck
No, really, most of those cards are worthless in an actual pokmeon battle, especially since the power creep. Most of the legendaries use too much energy, along side teh coveted Charizard. and let's not forget that many pokemon had no way of attacking at all. Looking at you, Ghastly.
well, its not meant for competetive but more for the collectors

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
yeah, the later gastly variants had actual attacks while retaining the zero cost retreats that screw up the status campers

speaking of which, are these cards going to be legal in the modern format, because if that's the case i've got all these scythers and wigglytuffs and professor oaks waiting to terrorize the meta

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Bet these aren't going to sell at all. Because normal original pokemon cards don't sell well at all either. Even a holo edition Charizard goes for...

$120

Yeahhh...

Dectomax

Jun 17, 2010
Arnoxthe1 said:
Bet these aren't going to sell at all. Because normal original pokemon cards don't sell well at all either. Even a holo edition Charizard goes for...

$120

Yeahhh...
Here I am slowly rocking back and forth in my chair after my parents sold all of my Poke'mon cards in 2001. Oh sweet mother of mercy, why. O_O

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Dectomax said:
Here I am slowly rocking back and forth in my chair after my parents sold all of my Poke'mon cards in 2001. Oh sweet mother of mercy, why. O_O
I don't think you're understanding me. You're not going to get very much for them right now at ALL. Best bet is to wait for a long while and see if the old pokemon cards start upping in value due to 90's/00's nostalgia.

Dectomax

Jun 17, 2010
Arnoxthe1 said:
Dectomax said:
I don't think you're understanding me. You're not going to get very much for them right now at ALL. Best bet is to wait for a long while and see if the old pokemon cards start upping in value due to 90's/00's nostalgia.
I'd take $120 for a card I no longer use, everyday of the week XD

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
I wonder if this will finally make my 1st Edition Holo Machamp worth something...probably not.