What Was The Escapist's Game of the Year for 2015?

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
What Was The Escapist's Game of the Year for 2015?

In a time-honored tradition, here's what we at The Escapist thought was the absolute best game of 2015.

Read Full Article

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
Inb4 someone complaining that Undertale wasn't mentioned.

Still...not sure about Bloodborne. Fallout 4, for all of its flaws, still felt like the superior game.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
SlumlordThanatos said:
Inb4 someone complaining that Undertale wasn't mentioned.

Still...not sure about Bloodborne. Fallout 4, for all of its flaws, still felt like the superior game.
Probably because we rarely get a Steampunk Fantasy RPG that was GOOD.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Congratulations to what sounds like a very deserving game. Good on ya, CD Projekt Red.

http://twinfinite.net/2015/12/cd-projekt-red-is-auctioning-off-this-huge-geralt-vs-noonwraith-statue-for-charity/

Continuing to be good guys, I see. :)

Coreless

Aug 19, 2011
Absolutely well deserved, the game delivers on almost everything it set out to do. The setting, characters, voice acting, animations, and overall stability have definitely set a new standard for rpgs in my opinion. The combat is probably the only thing I took issue with, the excessive spinning and sluggish movement controls for Geralt were just sloppy and really need to be looked at. If they had gone more Dark Souls with the combat this game would rank up there with my all time favorites.

but seriously CD Project Red, stop with the stupid spinning for every sword swing, its just stupid and annoying, especially if the enemy is literally a foot away.

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
Samtemdo8 said:
Probably because we rarely get a Steampunk Fantasy RPG that was GOOD.
"Good" is relative. A game can do something unique and be well-written, and not be "good". The two concepts aren't mutually exclusive, just look at the mess that was Alpha Protocol.

Story and writing is important, but so is gameplay. Undertale's combat system was certainly different, but not in a way I particularly cared for. On top of that, random encounters are particularly annoying in a game that goes out of its way to beg you to not kill anyone. I would rather avoid combat if at all possible.

Still...I'm not saying the game is bad. I'm saying that it isn't quite as good as literally everyone is making it out to be.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
In the third paragraph of the Witcher 3 section you have "These aren't are not". Thought you'd like to know.

Totally agree with the first place choice. The Witcher 3 isn't just the best game of the year for me, it's now in my top 3 games of all time.

I'd probably pick Fallout 4 for the runner up. Maybe it's because it had such a mixed reaction (at least, from these forums anyway), but I had lowered my expectations quite a bit when going in and have been pleasantly surprised. There are definitely issues that I look forward to mods fixing and I had to adjust the ini files a bit to make it not feel like shit on PC, but overall, I find it to be a ton of fun.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
To me, it wasnt even a competition. Granted, I havent played Bloodborne yet, but as far as I can see its just an upgraded version of a Souls' game. Not that that is a bad thing in ANY way, but it seems it only raised the bar on the graphics side, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Witcher 3 just blew me away in every conceivable way. I predicted a short while after I started playing it that it will go down in history (with me at least) along classics like Baldurs Gate 2 as one of the absolutely best games I have ever played. I havent changed my mind about that.

Congrats CDP, a well deserved win.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Mine is the other way around. Bloodborne was my GOTY with The Witcher 3 being the runner up. Originally I was saying that The Witcher 3 was my GOTY with Bloodborne being the runner up, but I got back into Bloodborne a little before Christmas and I'd honestly forgot how much I loved it. Ended up buying The Old Hunters DLC on Christmas and just finished getting the platinum trophy for it on New Year's day.

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
I look forward to the day I can finally play The Witcher 3. Until then, I'm with Bloodborne as my GOTY and Undertale as runner-up.

Speaking of which, given that we all knew the Escapist would pick Witcher 3, I wanted the silhouette of Geralt on the front page to actually be Undyne with two energy spears. Would have been a nice troll.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
This was a pretty good year for games. Undertale made me laugh, Bloodborne made me rage, SOMA made me reflect (and gave me nightmares), and Journey remake brought me back to 2012. Unfortunately I was busy playing some old good games. Mass Effect trilogy, Fallout: New Vegas and Skyrim. So I still have yet to play Fallout 4, the Witcher series and Xenogears Chronicles X.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Yep. The Witcher 3 deserves all the praise it gets. And more. Celebration and songs are in order!

WolvDragon said:
Because everything needs to be like Dark Souls right? Imo the combat was fine, hell the combat is kinda inspired by Dark Souls.
No, it was an evolution of The Witcher 2 combat system. Inspired by how the witchers were described to fight in the books. Geralt is supposed to preform all those fancy moves with pirouettes and whatnot.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Well deserved win!

The game surpassed my expectations and beyond. It was my most anticipated game since the end of Witcher 2 (because I knew they would make a third game based off that ending). I followed in the coming years to read the 7 novels via fan translation and the immersion boost that those gave me before jumping into Witcher 3 was quite an experience.

So many references I would've missed if I hadn't done that.

With that said..I cannot wait for Blood and Wine expansion in 2016.

RisenStorm

Jan 6, 2016
And as usual, my opinion is rather contradictory.

I just couldn't get into Witcher 3. I put it down, never came back to it.

For me, Rocket League was actually my GOTY. Bloodborne is an insanely close runner-up. If Bloodborne had launched with the Old Hunters DLC (like it really should have!), then it would win GOTY 2015, easy.

But hey, that's what opinions are for.