XCOM: Long War Creators Announce A New Game

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
XCOM: Long War Creators Announce A New Game

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1025/1025213.jpgThe team behind XCOM: Long War is working on Terra Invicta, a large-scale strategy game about resisting a global alien invasion.

<a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/editorials/reviews/9964-XCOM-Enemy-Unknown-Review>XCOM: Enemy Unknown was great, but to some fans, Long War is the definitive alien invasion strategy experience. In case you've never played it, XCOM: Long War tweaks almost every element of the core game, enhancing your tactical options while making the aliens far harder to defeat. But now we might have a new contender for the alien strategy throne: Terra Invicta, an original game revealed by the rebranded "Long War Studios".

Terra Invicta is advertised as a grand strategy game that applies Long War's core concept to a global battlefield. When an alien fleet arrives at the edge of our solar system, the player is tasked with uniting a fractured planet against this new enemy. Your mission is to assemble scientists, politicians, military leaders, and special operatives who can repel the invaders and eventually launch a counterattack in outer space.

Terra Invicta is still in early development, so we can't say for certain what its gameplay will look like. That said, the game seems to place a stronger focus on large-scale unit management, rather than leading individual soldiers on the battlefield. Long War Studios is currently working on a Kickstarter campaign, at which point we'll know more of what to expect.

Either way, between Terra Invicta and the upcoming XCOM 2, this is a great time to be a sci-fi strategy fan.

Source: <a href=http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Creator-XCOM-Long-War-Mod-Developing-Their-Own-Game-108167.html>CinemaBlend

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Silentpony said:
Ten bucks says Terra Invicta 2 will be about how you failed in Terra Invicta 1.
Well, I have the feeling that you have no option but to fail in the first, too. Why? Just because!

Honestly, I probably take XCOM 2 over this - I was never interested in Long War, it just seemd to do the exact opposite of why I liked XCOM:EU in the first place. And I highly doubt the devs aren't going away from how they made Long War, which is why I doubt this game is going to be even remotely interesting to me.
And considering it seems to be "Grand Strategy" rather than an infantery focused one, which I also don't find appealing, I really have massive feelings of just skipping this.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Bindal said:
Silentpony said:
Well, I have the feeling that you have no option but to fail in the first, too. Why? Just because!

Honestly, I probably take XCOM 2 over this - I was never interested in Long War, it just seemd to do the exact opposite of why I liked XCOM:EU in the first place. And I highly doubt the devs aren't going away from how they made Long War, which is why I doubt this game is going to be even remotely interesting to me.
And considering it seems to be "Grand Strategy" rather than an infantery focused one, which I also don't find appealing, I really have massive feelings of just skipping this.
Thing I really wanted to love about Long War was the expanded tech tree and equipment you could outfit your guys with and the fact that Colonels die on the regular. But it was just too damn long. There's somewhere around the thirty hour mark that all you're doing for five to twenty hours is just plodding along. You can do whatever you want at that point for a while mostly and not lose anyone, but so much of the time it feels like the loading screens take up more time than the actual missions. Pointless grind killed the mod for me. Gonna hope this game's gonna be less grindy.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Grand Strategy?

Meh.

I guess this means no Long War or similar mod for XCOM2.

Double meh.

Dornedas

Oct 9, 2014
Dr. McD said:
Need more men in the field? Why do I need special training to buy a fucking chair, seatbelts and bolts?! And why, oh why, do I need to pay again for a second fucking seat instead of getting two at once?!
Because IKEA was a prime target for the first alien attack.

Dr. McD said:
Why can I only have four soldiers in the fucking field?!
So you can send the other soldiers to different battle fields with your other Skyra- oh.
I mean obviously because you don't want the enemy to know your true strength.
You know divide and conquer. Divide yourself and then conquer the enemy.

At least in Xcom 2 we will have an acceptable excuse for this.
Because gorilla warfare. You don't want to endanger more gorillas than absolutely necessary.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
I'd really like there to be another mix of realtime strategy with turnbased, something like those Jagged Alliance games that no one likes (I did) and 7,62 High Calibre or Marauder. I like that type of game but its really rare.

Pseudonym

Legacy
Feb 26, 2014
Country
Nederland
I hope this turns out good. I liked xcom:eu though I haven't played long war yet.

I played xenonauts, another xcom-style game when it came out and while good and having a superior UI to the original xcom (not that that is an accomplishment) the pacing was so off that I eventually just stopped as the new alien I was supposed to capture just didn't show up for way too long.

Making a well balanced strategy game is hard, so this might be more diffictult than the devs are expecting. I'm cautiously optimistic though, waiting for more information when they are further in development.

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
Long war was great and awesome. But it was also simply *too* long.

It both gave new life to XCOM: EW for me and finally also killed the experience. Because I had an awesome time with the Long War campaign I played and wouldn't want to experience that game any other way again, but at the same time I'd never want to go through a hell like that again.

Definitely interested to see where their new game will go. But they'll probably need to learn not to kick the players in the balls too much with that one.

I think other modders will take over for XCOM2, the projects for that game will likely be even more ambitious in the end.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
I like Grand Strategy, I like the whole defending earth from xenos theme and I preferred long war to how the game was in vanilla form (although like other posters note, the mod dragged on tons past a certain point and became monotonous..in my case that's the point I started cheating and giving myself ressources/used invincibility cheats to skip battles i had no interest in playing, all to reach the finish line quicker because i'd rather cheat and finish a game then not cheat and not finish the game), so my curiosity is tickled.

Heck I'm more hyped for this then I am for Mass Effect Andromeda..And that's just friggin sad.

Dr. McD said:
Need more men in the field? Why do I need special training to buy a fucking chair, seatbelts and bolts?! And why, oh why, do I need to pay again for a second fucking seat instead of getting two at once?!

Why can I only have four soldiers in the fucking field?!
This is the problem with unions :( They will always put the interests of their workers and contractors before that of general population or even the friggin world.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Disappointed that it isn't related to XCom2, yet still intrigued about their new game.
Go on and remember, we will be watching.

Cryselle

Soulless Fire-Haired Demon Girl
Nov 20, 2009
I will be very surprised if they, or someone like them, doesn't do something long war-ish for XCom2. But ultimately when you have a solid team that can produce something that people like, some goodwill towards their work from both consumers and people in the game industry, and the third-party hype from XCom 2's launch, I can't really blame them for wanting to try their hand at something that will make them some money.

I wish them the best of luck. Long War wasn't for everybody, but I think it would have been a lot better if it hadn't been limited by the need to kludge together all the edits without the benefit of real mod support or direct access to all the variables. They did amazing work with what they had to work with.

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
Silentpony said:
I'm sorry, could you refill my salt shaker please? I'm a little low.
(I mean... C'mon now. You really are making WAY too big a deal about this.)

Diablo2000 said:
So no Long War 2 for XCom 2?

Well... I just hope Terra Invicta is good then...
Sadly, JL had stated that he wasn't going to continue the mod. He's finishing it up in response for XCOM2 and the final release should be out soon if not now. They're finally done the mod, which is crazy when you consider what they had to do to make about 90% of the changes to the game.

I'm pretty sure other modders will fill in the gap for XCOM2. Already on Reddit, people are talking about some changes for the game that they want to add. I also know that I'll be picking up the dev-kit to play around with a little bit at least, see how easy it is. The only down-side though is that with the Workshop and how easy they're talking the modding tools are, I doubt that there will be a large group of modders that will band together to really make a "Long War 2."

That being said, about a 5th of LW is the QoL changes. We already got all of those in XCOM2. That's quite a bit of work done already. If nobody steps up to the plate, I might just go around asking modders if I can take their work and build an XCOM1-like campaign, as I never seem to have any time to make anything serious. (Like, all of those mods and code snippits I've made for Space Engies. All incomplete and unloved.)