Oculus Rift Pre-Orders Open on January 6

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Oculus Rift Pre-Orders Open on January 6

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/932/932896.jpg

Pre-orders for the Rift will open at 8am Pacific Time this Wednesday, January 6.

announced today [https://www.oculus.com/en-us/]. Every Rift pre-order will include a free copy of EVE: Valkyrie in addition to Lucky's Tale by Playful.

One key piece of information still has not been revealed, however: the price. Oculus founder Palmer Luckey previously stated [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/142702-Oculus-Rift-350-Price-Tag] that the Rift is going to cost more than $350. When asked if the Rift would be in the ballpark of $350, Luckey responded that "You know, I'm going to be perfectly honest with you. We're roughly in that ballpark... but it's going to cost more than that."

"We'll be sharing everything you need to know to order your Rift on Wednesday when pre-orders go live," the company wrote in the announcement.

Oculus recently announced [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/165704-Oculus-Touch-Delayed-to-Second-Half-of-2016] the delay of its Touch controllers, which will not be releasing until the second half of 2016, stating that the new timeline "will produce an even better product, one that will set the bar for VR input."

Luckey will be answering questions during a Reddit AMA on Wednesday, January 6, at 6pm Pacific Time.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Comes with Valkyrie included. Well, there goes a paycheck if I decide to jump on this - Valkyrie does look cool, plus I already have Elite: Dangerous. The temptation is strooooong in this one - but then I also would like a bigger TV at some point, had a little Samsung 29" since 2006......wow, 10 years, yea the TV would have to come first, especially with post-holiday sales.

zidine100

Mar 19, 2009
I think im going to do the smart thing and wait to see if it actually takes off. Its not like I have a good enough pc to run anything with it at a decent frame rate anyway.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
This is the coolest thing that I don't really need and therefore don't intend to plunk down half a paycheck on. I'll wait for the price to come down (or a less expensive alternative to be released).

XenoScifi

Dec 30, 2013
Likewise. Cool piece of hardware that I could "wow" my house guests with, but will more then likely skip until we know VR hardware is making a stay this go around. I'd hate for something like this to just be another Virtual Boy (not saying it will and it probably will not be)

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
$350? Wait, more than $350?

Given what most 'enthusiasts' pay for gaming rig components, I guess it's not too bad. But that sure is a high number for the rest of us. To be honest, though, if someone gets that working with x-wing alliance I'll buy it in a heartbeat.

Oh man, I just realized what the big deal here is: it's finally going to leave beta. I was starting to wonder if we were looking at another facebook phone.

ron1n

Jan 28, 2013
Will be waiting to see what the competition comes up with first. Managed to try the rift out at PAX Aus a couple years ago. Was cool and certainly fascinating but nothing to rave about. I think the actual games and software is going to make or break this product rather than the visor itself.

Really need some killer apps for it.

Also it will no doubt end up costing north of $600 in Australia sadly -_-

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
no price tag yet... i need time to convince myself that it is worth it but i can't do that until i know the price...

Xyebane

Disembodied Floating Skull
Feb 28, 2009
I tried the Rift in November this year. The input lag was still about and gave me a massive headache. Was enough to convince me to not pre-order until I can try the retail version and know that it is fixed.

tacotrainwreck

Sep 15, 2011
Spooky phrasing. Everything past the foul line is still roughly in the ball park. So are those nasty, nasty toilets below deck.