Scalebound from Platinum Games Pushed Back to 2017

Conrad Zimmerman

Dec 24, 2013
Scalebound from Platinum Games Pushed Back to 2017

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1026/1026548.pngDragon fantasy epic needs more time to hatch.

Scalebound, an Xbox One exclusive action title from Platinum Games, will not release late in 2016 as previously announced. The developer has decided to delay launch until next year, according to a statement on their official forums.

Announced in 2014, Scalebound is a third-person action game in which the player's character is supported in combat by an AI-controlled dragon. Conceived in 2006 when Platinum Games was founded, the project was set aside in favor of developing Bayonetta first and then later shelved following an unsuccessful prototype. Development of the game was restarted in 2013.

The full statement from Platinum Games is as follows:

Hi everyone,

We hope you had a great New Year's!

As we enter into 2016, we want to provide you with an update on Scalebound, the upcoming Xbox One-exclusive action-RPG that lets you fight alongside a fearsome dragon named Thuban.

Development on the game is going well and we're really happy with how it's coming together. Scalebound is one of the biggest games PlatinumGames has ever created: an epic adventure filled with exploration and fantasy gameplay, inventive multiplayer, and action-packed battles on an unbelievable scale - all set in a beautiful and evolving world. It's the game our team has always dreamed of making.

In order to deliver on our ambitious vision and ensure that Scalebound lives up to expectations, we will be launching the game in 2017. This will give us the time needed to bring to life all the innovative features and thrilling gameplay experiences that we have planned.

We know you're excited to see more and thank you for your patience. Scalebound is a truly special project that's been several years in the making, and we are very proud and inspired by all the work our team has done so far.

We will be sharing more about our vision for Scalebound later this year and can't wait to give you a closer look at the world of Draconis and the incredible creatures and experiences we're building.

Thank you again for your support and enthusiasm!

Source: Gamespot [http://platinumgames.com/2016/01/04/an-update-from-the-scalebound-team/]

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Odd, I've never heard about this game
Conrad Zimmerman said:
an Xbox One exclusive action title
ahhh.... well nothing of importance was lost then.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
When a studio that size announces somewhere in the range of sixty thousand games at E3 all for release in 2016, it stands to reason one or two of 'em might need delayed. I'm not surprised at all.

P.S. Thanks

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Saw this game at gamescon last year, looked promising but the xbox one exclusivness is really going to hurt it me thinks.

Definatly has some strong final fantasy vipes going on, having this high tech magic theme and all and the protagonist not exactly having your typical fantasy getup but more of a modern style in clothing (not to mention the headphones)

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Ah I competely forgot about that game from E3!

Watching the recent trailer, the dubstep has competely put me off (I loathe dubstep) but since this is Platinum Games we're on about I can be sure it will be a smash hit.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
If I have to be perfectly honest, the douchey-looking, DmC-esque protagonist in the trailer kind of put me off. For some reason I was hoping for more of a character customization kind of deal, granted I haven't exactly been keeping up with this game. Considering who's making it though, perhaps I should give it a chance.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
I know games get delayed a lot but I don't think I've ever seen a game that announces delay of AN ENTIRE YEAR.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
But why can't we play as the dragon with an AI controlled groundy dude? Platinum...you've done this entirely the wrong way around!
What's that? ...An Xbone exclusive? Ah well, nevermind. Next time though, Platinum...

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
I never heard of this game before, but it seems like it should have been an expansion to skyrim.

Between this and EA's promise that it's 2017 release calendar was 'awesome', I can't help but wonder what is actually coming out this year.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
S C A L E B O U N D

The answer to the question of how to spell vaporware?

Also, it was delayed till 2017 4 days into the year. That's gotta be a record of some kind.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Hey, I remember this game!!!I thought it looked really cool when revealed at E3 and then cried a little when I realized it was an Xbox One exclusive.

Good to hear it's still on the way, now just to wait for a hopeful PC port.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
If it takes a whole year to create a protagonist who doesn't look generic it'll be worth the wait. If not I can't help but cringe. On the other hand I'm not excited for what basically sounds like an all dragon version of Poke'mon.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
As of late Platinum has the annoying habit of making exclusives for all the consoles I don't care about.

JemothSkarii

Thanks!
Nov 9, 2010
I heard it was also coming to PC. Though I feel like I mixed that up with a recent article on another release.

It's a shame, I was excited for the game until I learned it was an Xbox One exclsuive. If it comes onto PC however...

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
I'm glad it isn't a PS4 exclusive. I don't have much of a reason to keep my PS4 (yet?) due to its lack of traditionally fun exclusives (i.e. exclusive games that technically expand on Nintendo games: Sunset Overdrive - Super Mario Sunshine, Forza - Mario Kart without items, Halo - Metroid Prime in a way, Rare Replay - basically just Nintendo games, [okay, this analogy is getting out of hand but you get my point]).

Oh, and consider me hyped. We're talking about a Platinum beat-em-up (see also: Transformers Devastation, Bayonettas, Metal Gear Rising) with a dragon to fight alongside.