Game of The Year 2016

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
I just love the consistent look of both absence and dread on Geralt's face as the picture zooms further out.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Geralt vs the Hunter would be a good fight to be honest.

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
Fappy said:
Geralt vs the Hunter would be a good fight to be honest.
I think Geralt as a boss in Bloodborne could potentially be much harder than the PC as a boss in the Witcher 3.

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
I think Undertale winning would have made for a better comic, since you'd have all these violent triple A game characters ganging up on a happy cartoon skeleton. Feels like there'd be a message there.

But yeah, now I'm picturing Geralt as a boss in Bloodborne and getting hyped.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
There are two types of people in this world: those who choose The Order: 1886 as their GOTY, and people who are objectively wrong.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Something Amyss said:
There are two types of people in this world: those who choose The Order: 1886 as their GOTY, and people who are objectively wrong.
Must...resist urge...to start a...flame war!

kenu12345

Seeker of Ancient Knowledge
Aug 3, 2011
Looks like Geralt is going to the bone zone today. I do not envy the man

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
Meanwhile, Cities Skylines meanders around somewhere in the distance, desperately wanting someone to at least acknowledge it.

------------

Honestly, I'm kinda shocked Bloodborne isn't the one winning GotY awards left and right. Must be because it's relatively old.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Madara XIII said:
Something Amyss said:
Must...resist urge...to start a...flame war!
You cannot argue with objective fact. Your bias is clearly showing if you disagree.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
I mean obviously it's Super Mario Maker, the first game in years to get more than 100 hours of play time out of me, but if it weren't, it'd have to be Freedom Planet for Wii U, which totally counts as a separate game from 2014's PC version.

P.S. Thanks

VaporWare

Aug 1, 2013
Madara XIII said:
I just love the consistent look of both absence and dread on Geralt's face as the picture zooms further out.
Geralt's face speaks to me of surprise and terror. "How did I get here?" Geralt asks. "Every step that led me to this point made sense, and yet..."

I think part of the disconnect here is that while Witcher 3 is an amazing piece of work by almost every objective standpoint, the Witcher doesn't engender the kinds of emotional connections that the others manage. Geralt is a largely unlikable character, and I've never gotten the impression that he deals with terribly likable people. The Witcher as a series doesn't have the same history with internet culture that Metal Gear does, doesn't have a shred of the sheer character of Undertale, and so on.

And of course, it very glaringly lacks anything even resembling a rocket racecar demolition derby mode. Honestly, I think they must have disqualified Rocket League on those grounds, just so that we don't risk losing the sheer joy of rocket racecar demolition derby to award-hungry feature cloning in games where rocket racecars are not natural features.

Rituro

Critwrencha
Sep 18, 2008
BX3 said:
Meanwhile, Cities Skylines meanders around somewhere in the distance, desperately wanting someone to at least acknowledge it.
100% on board with you. Cities: Skylines eked out Pillars of Eternity for my personal GOTY, which is no small feat considering how much love I have for Infinity engine-era games. C:S hooks me in for hours at a time in a way not seen since my ongoing Football Manager addiction.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
Undertale's Papyrus should be wielding a long bone to bash Geralt on the head with. Also,
Samtemdo8 said:
Surprised you did not put a Fallout 4 reference.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
The race in the back with the sombrero made me chuckle.

That reminds me, I really need to play Rocket League.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
This image makes me think: Damn! We had pretty good games in 2015!

Arcadian Legend

Blame your fate!
Jan 9, 2012
Only thing missing in this comic is a Skell from Xenoblade Chronicles X pointing one of it's weapons at Geralt and ready to shoot while towering over everything else from behind. :p

Covarr said:
I mean obviously it's Super Mario Maker, the first game in years to get more than 100 hours of play time out of me, but if it weren't, it'd have to be Freedom Planet for Wii U, which totally counts as a separate game from 2014's PC version.

P.S. Thanks
Looking forward to FP2?

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Arcadian Legend said:
Looking forward to FP2?
More than anything else currently announced that isn't out yet. Although that could change once we get some real footage of the next Zelda game.

P.S. Thanks

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
Kingjackl said:
I think Undertale winning would have made for a better comic, since you'd have all these violent triple A game characters ganging up on a happy cartoon skeleton. Feels like there'd be a message there.

But yeah, now I'm picturing Geralt as a boss in Bloodborne and getting hyped.
Sombrero soccer car is the most violent of the bunch