Hideo Kojima Will be Inducted into the AIAS Hall of Fame

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Hideo Kojima Will be Inducted into the AIAS Hall of Fame

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/987/987347.jpg

"Hideo is a game creator whose eyes have always looked towards the future..."

The Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences announced (via Business Wire [http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20160105005182/en/Hideo-Kojima-Inducted-AIAS-Hall-Fame-19th]) today that Metal Gear Solid creator Hideo Kojima will become the 21st member to be inducted into its Hall of Fame.

Kojima will accept the award in person on February 18, during a ceremony at the 19th D.I.C.E. Awards in Las Vegas. The award will be presented to Kojima by film director and writer Guillermo del Toro. The two had previously teamed up with the intention of co-directing Silent Hills, but the project was ultimately cancelled [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/141750-Silent-Hills-Del-Toro-Kojima-to-Collaborate-on-New-Project].

"Hideo Kojima's career-defining works have shaped much of how the video game industry approaches cinematic storytelling and player engagement," said Martin Rae, president, Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences. "As one of the most well-loved and well-respected designers of our time, it is a great honor for the Academy to induct him into our Hall of Fame. Hideo is a game creator whose eyes have always looked towards the future, and we look forward to his thoughts on the D.I.C.E. Summit stage."

Kojima timed PS4 exclusive [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/165496-Hideo-Kojima-Reported-to-have-Left-Konami-Creating-New-Studio].

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
That statement is not wrong: our brains take a split second to process the information sent to them by our eyes, so congratulations, Mr Kojima, on having functioning eyes.

munx13

Some guy on the internet
Dec 17, 2008
"Hideo Kojima's career-defining works have shaped much of how the video game industry approaches cinematic storytelling"

Sometimes it really seems like I'm the only one who thinks his games start off really great with a good premise, but are then completely ruined by atrocious storytelling.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
freaper said:
That statement is not wrong: our brains take a split second to process the information sent to them by our eyes, so congratulations, Mr Kojima, on having functioning eyes.
Unexpectedly hilarious. Personally, I think he's got the eyes of a fighter squadron pilot. On the deck of a carrier. In space. Helmet tucked under one arm[footnote]Adorned with custom hand-painted squadron insignia.[/footnote]. Bit of a maverick and a show-boater, but nobody beats him at asteroid chicken.

The award will be presented to Kojima by film director and writer Guillermo del Toro.
...And that is perfection.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
It's kinda funny, Konami were SUCH big dicks about everything that it seems like Kojima is getting showered with praise as a result of being on the receiving end.
Reminds me of that Anita CM panel of how she got to the UN because of all the shit people threw her way.
Still, I think he earned it for having a game series for over 20 years and not doing a single reboot :eek:

Samsont

Jun 11, 2009
Diablo1099 said:
It's kinda funny, Konami were SUCH big dicks about everything that it seems like Kojima is getting showered with praise as a result of being on the receiving end.
Reminds me of that Anita CM panel of how she got to the UN because of all the shit people threw her way.
Still, I think he earned it for having a game series for over 20 years and not doing a single reboot :eek:
Managing to do that and still have a coherent plot, and not really have any games that were flops, or really got anything other than definite praise, while also changing and updating the mechanics each time is definitely something to be impressed by.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Meanwhile, what is left of Konami's gaming division will be inducted to a Japanese septic system.

OT: Awesome that the man is finally getting recognition. Say what you will about his works, but no one can deny he's been one of many great pioneers in the area of gaming. Also, that Mr. del Toro is giving this award to him is nothing less than the perfect icing on the metaphorical cake.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
gigastar said:
Cant wait to see how Konami reacts.
By making a Hideo Kojima Pachinko machine? ;p

OT: Good for Kojima. As Yahtzee has mentioned a few times, Hideo may let his eyes wander a bit much from where they should be, [sub][sub][sub](to ogle digital ladies ;p)[/sub][/sub][/sub], but he does try really hard with his team to make a quality product with a lot of love for it.

Hope him and his coworkers have a better time now that they are away from Konami.