'To Hell & Back' New SMITE Cinematic Trailer

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
'To Hell & Back' New SMITE Cinematic Trailer

Just in time for the SMITE World Championship, Hi-Rez releases a shiny new cinematic trailer.

Only two days before ten teams battle for the title of SMITE World Champion, the fine folks at Hi-Rez Studios released a new cinematic trailer for their third-person moba SMITE. For those unfamiliar, SMITE is an otherwise traditional moba in the same vein of League of Legends or DOTA, but with a few twists thrown in.

The biggest departure is that the game is played in a third-person action perceptive with WASD movement, instead of the traditional RTS top-down. It gives the game a unique feel in the moba space, and has certainly helped with a successful jump over to the Xbox One as well. The characters are also all drawn from real-world mythology and legends. There's roughly 70 gods, demons, and other mythological beings representing seven different pantheons. Cause how else are you going to decide who's the true ruler of the underworld? The Greek god Hades or the Norse goddess Hel?

The 'To Hell & Back' trailer features one of the Roman goddess of war, Bellona, leading the Norse Loki and Ymir into battle as a sort of villainous or bad boys, and girl, team against some more traditional good aligned gods. It took me a second viewing to fully pick up that the whole lava section is a flashback, it's a nod to there being a fire giant that players can defeat for a powerful team buff. Overall, it's an improvement over their previous trailer [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDOxxRf4muE], if for no other reason than you get to see more gods. Though I'm starting to suspect that someone in the Hi-Rez Studios video department doesn't like Thor, he's always getting knocked around in their trailers.

Obviously it's no coincidence that these cinematic are releasing around the same time as SMITE World Championship, and this year's event is bigger and better in practically every way. 2016 has more teams from more regions and a separate Xbox One tournament - which include an open invitational to seat the final slot. They actually had to add a whole separate day to accommodate it all.

If you don't happen to be in Atlanta Georgia with a now sold-out ticket, you can catch all the action at http://www.twitch.tv/smitegame. Matches start on Thursday at 11:00 EST.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
This is a... regrettable choice of music.

Oh well. It was nice to see Bellona, my favourite brawler god, in a trailer.

Fingers crossed to see Kali and/or Athena show up in the next one.

Slycne said:
Though I'm starting to suspect that someone in the Hi-Rez Studios video department doesn't like Thor, he's always getting knocked around in their trailers.
Aaaaactually, Thor tends to feature front and center in a lot of their trailers and promotional art.

I guess because he's easily recognizable. I mean, any chump can tell you who Thor is. Especially in the post-Marvel movies age. Not so many people would know of, say, Serqet or Chang'e.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
So, er, can someone explain what actually happened? Far as I can tell the protagonists (don't play Smite) were in Hell, but the girl got them out of Hell to return to fight?

Edit: Nevermind, the OP explained it. 0_0

Ugicywapih

May 15, 2014
In most match types available in Smite, the main objective is to defeat the enemy team's titan, a strong and well defended NPC with either a hellish chaos/invader theme or a heavenly order/defender one. TBH, I'd say that looked a lot like a joust (single lane 3v3 with titans) and my first impression of the flashback was that it was showing how the chaos team does its recruitment.

Michael Dunkerton

Jan 8, 2013
I figured there was some reference to game mechanics with the hell scenes, but I do wish that this trailer made it at all clear who was on whose side. Everyone kept making Dreamworks Smiles at each other whether they were about to do a Unite Attack or start pounding on each other. Also, while Thor and Monkey King were obvious, and I kinda guessed that who Illidin-Loki was, I would not have guessed that the skinny anime chick was a *Roman* goddess. I was figuring she was one of the new Japanese characters, like a kitsune or something.

K.ur

Jul 31, 2013
A unrelated question: Is there a moba style game, where the buffs you can unlock in match go to the little guys instead to the players?

Draken Steel

May 15, 2009
K.ur said:
A unrelated question: Is there a moba style game, where the buffs you can unlock in match go to the little guys instead to the players?
Demigod you can spend gold to upgrade minions and towers and such, instead of buying items. Wouldn't mind seeing something like that more often.

Nowadays the large league objectives buff minions as well(baron lets cannon minions out-range towers, dragon kills buff towers at 2nd stack, and minions at 4th stack i believe.

I think some of the war3/sc2 custom game mobas have unit buffs.

As for the cinematic, the art quality was great but the actual fights felt...eh. A decent spectacle but a lot of times it felt like some of the poorer parts of the star wars lightsaber duels, where they were being showy instead of actually even attempting to fight.

K.ur

Jul 31, 2013
Draken Steel said:
Wouldn't mind seeing something like that more often.
Thanks. The closest i played to Mobas is Future Cop: LAPD (and damn i wish they would put it on PC) and everytime i get interest and look up mechanics, the lag of stuff you do with the minions puts me, kinda strangely, off. Most times they could have just powerlines like in the hacking game of Deus Ex (Human Revolution).