8 Dungeons & Dragons Monsters You Don't Want to Meet

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
8 Dungeons & Dragons Monsters You Don't Want to Meet

If you're a Dungeons & Dragons player, these eight monsters can ruin your day.

Read Full Article

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Illithids are absolutely a nightmare. They're so psionically talented they put pretty much every other race to shame in that department, they're extremely gifted and knowledgeable about the worlds they inhabit but are completely apart from it. I've always saved Illithids in campaigns for extremely high-level adventures because I feel it cheapens the experience to use them willy-nilly.

Plus they have a great theme, tune borrowed from the Wizard of Oz:

I could while away the hours
Polishing my powers
Inflicting lots of pain
I've a rumblin' in my tummy
Some grey matter would be yummy!
If I only had a brain.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
I remember the Illithids in Baldur's Gate 2 were a complete nightmare; if they mind-controlled your main character, it was basically game over.

Strangely, I remember there was also a certain item you could get early in the game that would make you immune to psionic attacks and powers, and if you had that they were easy. Just give it to your best fighter, hold back the rest of your party, and have them run in and beat the tar out of the Illithids.

Also, isn't there some D&D lore that they are actually aliens from space or something?

Scow2

Aug 3, 2009
Illithids are fun because they make humans feel like how the rest of the world probably sees humans. They probably don't even consider themselves the bad guys.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
Ihateregistering1 said:
Also, isn't there some D&D lore that they are actually aliens from space or something?
Yeah. They're definitely not from the campaign setting, although exactly where they come from is rarely specified and not entirely consistent when it is.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
<youtube=_q3s4_Ku5rw>

<youtube=72LQ6W2W_TU>
I remember a Ravenloft supplement that included a pilotable Beholder Flesh Golem that could run amok.

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
On the Lich description it says "a few later" but doesn't say a few what later. I presume hours or days.

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Amir Kondori said:
On the Lich description it says "a few later" but doesn't say a few what later. I presume hours or days.
Whoops. It's a few days later. Specifically 1d10 days later, as I recall.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
What?! I totally want to meet a Beholder. I'd name him Admiral Squiggles Murphy and he'd by my most amazing pet ever! We'd get into all sorts of mystery solving hi-jinks! And he'd have a posh British accent and have a taste for...I dunno, Elf babies? Or something more comical and less evil...like daemon clowns.

Yeah. Admiral Squiggles Murphy, posh crime solver and daemon clown gumbo aficionado.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
My DM warned my highly-powerful psionic would draw attention to himself the more he used his power. The Illithids were the main threat he spoke of, though I did pick up a brain leech from someplace unhygienic.

Synigma

Dec 24, 2014
I definitely agree with most of the list... but... Why you no Dragons? Besides being the titular monster when you actually run into a dragon, in dragon form, it's usually because you're no longer useful in it's chess game and it's going to eat you.