Angus Scrimm aka "The Tall Man" From Phantasm Passes Away At 89

JaredJones

Jun 8, 2015
Angus Scrimm aka "The Tall Man" From Phantasm Passes Away At 89

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1030/1030226.png

He played a good game, boy, but now the game is finished.

While everyone is rightfully mourning the loss of iconic singer/songwriter/actor David Bowie [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/165810-David-Bowie-Passes-Away] today, there was another famous passing that might hit a little closer to home for horror fans.

Angus Scrimm, the actor and author best known for his portrayal of "The Tall Man" in the Phantasm series, passed away on Saturday, January 9th, at the age of 89. According to reports, Scrimm died peacefully while surrounded by his loved ones, only to be ripped from said bed by a pair of Lurkers [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_B5PxVyess#t=18s] at the last second. It's how he would have wanted to go, if you ask me. (What? Too soon?)

As the mysterious and nefarious "Tall Man," Scrimm first broke into the horror scene in 1979's Phantasm, Don Coscarelli's cult classic which received three sequels between 1988 and 1998 and has a fourth scheduled for release later this year. With his haunting demeanor, superhuman strength, and collection of deadly metallic spheres, the Tall Man emerged as one of the most terrifying monsters of indie horror, earning a spot on nearly every horror aficionados "Greatest Villains" list in the process.

Aside from his role in the Phantasm series, Scrimm also starred in Coscarelli's John Dies at the End, as well as 2008's I Sell the Dead, and had a recurring role on the ABC spy thriller Alias.

While confirming the news of his friend's departure, Coscarelli made sure to mention that Scrimm's performance as the Tall Man "is a towering achievement in horror film history."

"He was the last in a long line of classic horror movie stars. He was a terrific actor and an even better friend. He will be missed."

He will indeed. Luckily for us, we'll get to see Scrimm portray the legendary Tall Man one last time in Phantasm: Ravager, due out later this year. A teaser trailer for Ravager which was released over the summer is below.

Source: 1428 Elm [http://1428elm.com/2016/01/11/r-i-p-angus-scrimm-remembering-a-legend/]

Uratoh

Jun 10, 2011
Oh, this isn't going to create any creepy urban lengends about him at ALL. Dying just after finishing the film franchise you were iconic for, wherein you played an undead shade? :eek:

Also, while memes are hard to track, I'm reasonably sure Slenderman owes a lot of his/its existance to the Tall Man.

American Fox

Le Best Tank
Aug 14, 2012
Uh, as much as I loved Phantasm and the actor, he didn't star in John Dies at the End. He had one scene, and it was a short phone conversation. It wasn't even a key scene.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Damnit! Like I said in the thread about Alan Rickman passing away, this has not been a good start for 2016. So many wonderful and talented people passing away so quickly.