Rise of the Tomb Raider Leads D.I.C.E. Awards Nominees

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Rise of the Tomb Raider Leads D.I.C.E. Awards Nominees

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1026/1026713.png

Rise of the Tomb Raider is up for nine total awards, including the top honor of Game of the Year.

The Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences has revealed the list of nominees [http://www.interactive.org/news/19th_dice_awards_finalists.asp] for the 19th D.I.C.E. (Design, Innovate, Communicate, Entertain) Awards, with Rise of the Tomb Raider leading the pack with nine total nominations, including one for the top honor of Game of the Year. Other nominees for that category include The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, Bloodborne, Fallout 4, and Ori and the Blind Forest.

Other titles up for multiple awards are The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (eight), Ori and the Blind Forest (six), Fallout 4 (five), Her Story, The Order: 1886 and Star Wars Battlefront (four each), Batman: Arkham Knight, Destiny: The Taken King, Rocket League, Lara Croft GO, Life is Strange, and Undertale (three each).

"Looking at the nominees for the 19th Annual D.I.C.E. Awards, I am especially impressed by the broad range of titles catering to gamers' increasingly sophisticated and diverse tastes," Martin Rae, president, Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences, said in the press release. "It is always gratifying to watch our industry and its many artists and craftsmen grow and continue to challenge and thrill audiences."

The winners will be announced on Thursday, February 18, at the conclusion of the 2016 D.I.C.E. Summit in Las Vegas. The full list of nominees can be viewed here [http://www.interactive.org/images/pdfs/19th-Annual-DICE-Awards-Finalists.pdf].

In addition, the D.I.C.E. Awards ceremony will honor Satoru Iwata as its Lifetime Achievement Award recipient. And, as previously announced [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/165735-Hideo-Kojima-AIAS-Hall-of-Fame], Hideo Kojima will be honored as the newest member of the AIAS Hall of Fame during the ceremony.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Always nice to know the game everyone, including the company that developed and published it, forgot about is apparently GOTY material...

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
SlumlordThanatos said:
What game is this again?

I don't remember hearing about it, I was too busy playing Fallout 4.
*just returned from a three hour binge*

Whenever I hear Fallout 4 being called derivative I look at Rise of the Tomb Raider and I'm like: "Naw, 's good son."

The Purple Grape

Jun 5, 2015
Outstanding Achievement in Game Direction for Rise of the Generic Title. Yes, forgetting the whole franchise that based on puzzle solving and turning it into a bland action clone game. That's precious. I'll be back playing with Keeley Hawes- that came out wrong. Well at least she has charm and a personality and that makes me give a shit about her.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
I think wee need to start having rules about titles that are eligible for GotY e.g. not games that are timed exclusives that also don't release on multiple platforms on the same year, just seems a little ridiculous. And remind me why The Order 1886 deserves awards of any kind, unless we're giving them out to games that are a shining example of mediocrity.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
Well...that should indicate to everyone just how much respect they should have for the DICE awards.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
MercurySteam said:
I think wee need to start having rules about titles that are eligible for GotY e.g. not games that are timed exclusives that also don't release on multiple platforms on the same year, just seems a little ridiculous.
Your arbitrary reasoning has little relevance to whether a game deserves to be called "of the year" or not.

Frustrating as it may be that publishers can essentially ransom their titles, games are not made better or worse based on the system they are or are not released upon.

And remind me why The Order 1886 deserves awards of any kind, unless we're giving them out to games that are a shiny example of mediocrity.
If anything, this is the more damning example of why this award event should be laughed off.

JayRPG

Oct 25, 2012
So how much did Microsoft pay to get "rise of the standard action game" even on the list?

Timed exclusive, paid for out the ass by Microsoft, I've barely heard a thing about it, and rarely anything other than it being fairly mediocre, yet i've seen it crop up a few times in talks in reports that put it out as some huge title and goty contender.. like.. is MS paying for these stories or what?

Did it even sell well?

[edit] Just looked it up and apparently it's sales "tanked". Mixed reviews, even the positive ones say that it isn't even a tomb raider game.

Definitely game of the year material.

[edit2] Though any game winning goty that isn't Offline-MMO courier simulator 3.. I mean Witcher 3 would be quite refreshing.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
For what it is worth, the D.I.C.E Awards are all decided (both the nominees and the winners) by industry professionals (developers as opposed to outlets and consumers) and contains awards for animation, sound design, technical achievement and such like.

Fallout 4 - to use an example - may well be a great game (I hope to get round to it soon) - but a lot of what it does technically is derivative of Bethesda's last gen games.

Cryselle

Soulless Fire-Haired Demon Girl
Nov 20, 2009
The D.I.C.E Awards are more about technical achievements than they are about how 'fun' a game is or how well it sells. While I admittedly have not played Rise of the Tomb Raider, I did play the first game in the new reboot, and it was a very technically nice game. It just wasn't very Tomb Raider-y, if that makes any sense.

You see this even moreso by the fact that Order 1886 is up for awards. That's a game is practically the poster child for a game that has a bunch of really nice pieces, but fails to put them together in a manner that makes the game actually any good.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Really? Even on a technical level the game isn't very interesting. It's functional, but functional is not excellence.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Cryselle said:
The D.I.C.E Awards are more about technical achievements than they are about how 'fun' a game is or how well it sells.
Yeah, it's like winning an award for publishing the book with the neatest binding and typesetting.