Release Date Announced for Five Nights at Freddy's RPG, FNaF World

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Release Date Announced for Five Nights at Freddy's RPG, FNaF World

Releasing on Steam in February.

In an update [http://steamcommunity.com/games/388090/announcements/detail/92688778890636115] posted to the Five Nights at Freddy's 4 Steam page, series creator Scott Cawthon revealed the official release date for upcoming RPG, FNaF World - February 19 on Steam, and the game will be making its way to "Android and iPhone in the following weeks." Cawthon also said a demo will be released on GameJolt.

"I wanted to use these characters in a new and fun way because they are so near and dear to my heart, and I was excited to work on a type of game that I hadn't made in a long time." Cawthon wrote in September [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/142431-FNAF-World-Will-be-RPG-Not-Horror]. "The new game that I'm working on will be called FNAF World. It will not be a horror game, but a role playing game where you create a party using the huge selection of characters from the FNaF games, including the classic, withered, toy, phantom, and nightmare versions."

The Five Nights at Freddy's franchise has grown swiftly, with four titles releasing in just under one year. Despite the short periods of time between the games' releases, every title in the franchise has The Desolate Hope [http://store.steampowered.com/search/?developer=Scott%20Cawthon], released in 2014 and has 94% positive ratings.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
This video sums up my feelings on this game.

My god, this game isn't just bad at a conceptual level, it's unhealthy and is enabling to a bad mentality of infantilization.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Zontar said:
I agree that this idea is stupid, but to say that it is "unhealthy and is enabling to a bad mentality of infantilization" is taking it a bit too far. People like cute, cartoony crap. Others like ultra grimdark, braindead power fantasies. Who cares?

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
Well, can't say I'm surprised. The guy has spent a year spending all of his creative efforts on making nightmares out of things meant to amuse children; so, yeah, no shock that he'd come out with something happy and fun based on the concept.

Considering how adorable the plushie versions of the animatronics have turned out, I'm kind of happy to see a less heart attack inducing romp.

It looks like he got inspired by the 5 night at f*ckboy's parody rpg series of games that were surprisingly solid (if a bit on the insane grindy side).

Wait, has he finished the story for fnaf 4 yet? Last I checked we were still waiting on an update and something about that stupid chest.

Daelin Dwin

Accidentally Prescient
Feb 3, 2014
Fappy said:
Zontar said:
I agree that this idea is stupid, but to say that it is "unhealthy and is enabling to a bad mentality of infantilization" is taking it a bit too far. People like cute, cartoony crap. Others like ultra grimdark, braindead power fantasies. Who cares?
That's the thing, this was something supposed to be a grim dark horror that people have infantilised into cutesy cartoon romp. Seeing cutesy versions of grim dark things and vice versa is amusing, but it's rare to see such things become the accepted norm of said franchise.

It's as if there was some fan fiction/art movement of Toy Story where Woody strangles kids to death with his pull-string, which gets built upon will all the toys being the trapped souls of murderers or some shit. Then Disney comes out with Toy Story 5 which is some CGI version of Child's Play.

FillerDmon

Jun 6, 2014
I don't have anything against Five Nights at Freddys being popular. I may not be a fan of most horror games, jumpscares annoy me rather than entertain, 90% of the videos on youtube are shit, and the fact that the gameplay can be more or less summed up by (having a friend open 2 browser pages-one with a shock image and one with a kitten-and having you coinflip to decide which one you get; keep going until you get scared or bored) makes me dislike it on a conceptual level, but I'm not actively routing for FNAF to fail. Right now, the only thing in the world I want to fail is Batman vs Superman, because I want an obvious train-wreck to get rekt and not make any money so that maybe people can consider what made the Avengers so good rather than just copy the idea of throwing in as many big names as possible.

That all said as honestly as possible, while each sequel has seemed less and less needed, this seems less needed than the other 3 sequels combined. Good job for him to have a legacy and all, but maybe come up with a new brand when you want to go for the cutesy angle? Maybe include some of the nightmare monsters as bonus bosses who use scares as attacks?

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Zontar said:

My god, this game isn't just bad at a conceptual level, it's unhealthy and is enabling to a bad mentality of infantilization.
That video is pretty unwatchable. As a person who has never even played any of the games nor even watched a single Let's Play of it, I still know way more about the games than these guys. It seems like they played the first game and pretty much jumped on the bandwagon of "whatever this game is stupid." Seriously 10 minutes in and one of the guys repeatedly says the games are about animatronics that are possessed by molested/raped, and murdered children. Which is kind of ironic since they directly reference MatPat and horribly butcher even the most basic premise of the story and yet ***** about it for several minutes.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Rednog said:
If you've never played the games nor watched a Let's Play of it, how do you know that they are wrong about it or that MatPat's theory has or has not been debunked about it?

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
Daelin Dwin said:
Fappy said:
Zontar said:
That's the thing, this was something supposed to be a grim dark horror that people have infantilised into cutesy cartoon romp. Seeing cutesy versions of grim dark things and vice versa is amusing, but it's rare to see such things become the accepted norm of said franchise.

It's as if there was some fan fiction/art movement of Toy Story where Woody strangles kids to death with his pull-string, which gets built upon will all the toys being the trapped souls of murderers or some shit. Then Disney comes out with Toy Story 5 which is some CGI version of Child's Play.
It's a single spin off game, it's a little early to call it the new norm. Also, for anyone that experienced the 80's it's not exactly rare either. Horror movie and R Rated action movie heroes and villains being repackaged as toys or cartoons for kids is something that's happened quite a bit. No, I don't know what exactly the logic is behind making a Rambo cartoon, or a Ripley action figure, or making Robo-cop something sold in kid's toy isles is, but it's hardly new.

To call it infantilization seems like fans trying to justify not liking something with pseudo-intellectual rationalization to make themselves feel better, far more horrific horror movie stars like Jason and Freddy have been marketed to kids in the form of toys and tie-ins despite the public knowing full well that kids shouldn't be seeing those movies. It's not new, it's not indicative of anything greater in the industry, it's a spin off from a developer trying to milk his 15 minutes of fame for all its worth, with 4 games in just over a year, something like this seems hardly surprising.

If anything, this happening to Freddy actually fits in with a long standing tradition with horror movies and cheesy slasher flicks, all we are missing is an FNAF breakfast cereal tie in to properly bring that 80's nostalgia back.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Zontar said:
Rednog said:
If you've never played the games nor watched a Let's Play of it, how do you know that they are wrong about it or that MatPat's theory has or has not been debunked about it?
Considering I know who MatPat is, it would be reasonable to assume that I've watched his videos on the matter. I don't know how familiar you are with MatPat's work, but I believe that hes has had feedback for at least 2 of his FNaF videos from the creator as to how correct the theories are, I believe for his second video he was told something along the lines of him being completely correct.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Rednog said:
Zontar said:
Rednog said:
Considering I know who MatPat is, it would be reasonable to assume that I've watched his videos on the matter. I don't know how familiar you are with MatPat's work, but I believe that hes has had feedback for at least 2 of his FNaF videos from the creator as to how correct the theories are, I believe for his second video he was told something along the lines of him being completely correct.
I watched his work until a while ago, but he'd done videos on the first three games by that point, and you're thinking of his video on the second game that had the creator confirm that his theory was right.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Zontar said:
I've seen that video before, and it just comes off a jealous whining. Like we get, the dudes didn't know that fandoms existed and had never seen fan art. I'd guess if Scott had made the game about molesting and killing children those dudes would say its glorifying violence and desensitizing the audience.
They just come off as bitter they didn't think of FNaF first.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
EternallyBored said:
Agreed. Just seems like people are trying too hard to justify their hatred here. Is it not enough to just "not get it" and think it's dumb? I would get it if you're like a huge FNAF fan and thought this was some kind of betrayal, but from what I have seen most people getting butthurt about it don't even give a damn about the property.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
As someone (and apparently the only one) who was ultimately more invested in the author's story more than the game's story, I for one am pretty delighted.

Looks like Cawthon's willing to go back to the stuff he was making before FNaF, and I can't say this upsets me.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Zontar said:

Basically Bronies.

And now they are going to corrupt this upcoming Disney movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-frtUrlFQs

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Silentpony said:
I've seen that video before, and it just comes off a jealous whining. Like we get, the dudes didn't know that fandoms existed and had never seen fan art. I'd guess if Scott had made the game about molesting and killing children those dudes would say its glorifying violence and desensitizing the audience.
They just come off as bitter they didn't think of FNaF first.
I think you may be unfamiliar with their work if you think they're unfamiliar with the FNaF fandom before making that video, or that they would have a problem with violence in a game.

My vision may be coloured by the fact I follow their work, but I honestly for the life of me cannot see how you got that impression watching the video.

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
Fappy said:
EternallyBored said:
Agreed. Just seems like people are trying too hard to justify their hatred here. Is it not enough to just "not get it" and think it's dumb? I would get it if you're like a huge FNAF fan and thought this was some kind of betrayal, but from what I have seen most people getting butthurt about it don't even give a damn about the property.
I find the infantilization argument especially bizarre, properties have been doing weird marketing of adult properties for kids for decades. I seriously doubt a series of internet games mostly popular among Youtubers is somehow going to be the straw that breaks the camels back on that trend.

Not to mention Fandoms will always try to corrupt innocent properties or make horrifying things cute, it's not new. From crossing over My Little Pony with Fallout, to making Jason a cutesy chibi figure sold at Hot Topic, they'll do it regardless of anything the author or creator does to encourage or discourage them.

It really does just sound like butthurt fans trying to rationalize why everyone should agree with them because, "it's totally a disturbing trend guys!". Also amusing trying to paint the FNAF fandom as different than any other horror fandom, like people haven't been drawing cute Predators and Xenomorphs and writing Jason/Freddy slash fiction for more than 20 years.

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
I don't get what the hate is all about. If you don't like the games, don't buy them. Just because everyone else likes something doesn't mean you have to.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Zontar said:
No, not that they're unfamiliar with FNaF, they seem unfamiliar with the idea of a fan. Just a fan, of literally anything. Like they can't get over the idea people draw cute pictures of the characters in situations not normally present in the games. Truly as if this is literally the first time a fandom has ever done that, ever ever.

People taking characters out of context and writing fics, or drawing them or cosplaying as them is as old as fandoms. But they're not harshing people for drawing Pokemon in non-Pokemon environments. No one is complaining about people drawing chibbi Freddy and/or Jason. No word one when people snuggle with a Pyramid Head plushie.

Granted its a FNaF video, so they may complain about Silent Hill/Resident Evil/Pokemon/Warhammer/Warcraft/Starcraft/Diablo/Anything fans taking that IP and doing goofy, funny, cute things with them in other videos.

I doubt it. But I'll scour their channel for the much needed complaints about other infantilizing fandoms that are out there. Because if its wrong to draw cutie pictures of murdering robot foxes and chickens, its most certainly is wrong to draw cute pictures of genetically engineered mass murdering daemon worshiping super soldiers.
They must think this is a war-crime.

Otherwise its just sour grapes.