#079 - Prologue

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
3rd panel got a good laugh out of me with Erin trying to interject and immediately getting shot down before she can even get a word out.

And yeah...that about sums up every FF game in a nutshell: McGuffins good, evil human organization trying to harness their power will kill the world.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Ah, wizard. Always a good decision, even when it's not, because it is the prettiest and most majestic of the classes.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
Yup, it's a little disappointing how familiar that storyline is. Even the Pokemon games, as much as I love them, often seem to have a variation of this: legendary trio of Pokemon maintains the balance of nature. A team of well-intentioned fanatics tries to interfere with one of those legendary Pokemon and risks destroying the world in the process... if it was not for the intervention of our plucky young hero.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
JoJo said:
Yup, it's a little disappointing how familiar that storyline is. Even the Pokemon games, as much as I love them, often seem to have a variation of this: legendary trio of Pokemon maintains the balance of nature. A team of well-intentioned fanatics tries to interfere with one of those legendary Pokemon and risks destroying the world in the process... if it was not for the intervention of our plucky young hero.
The only Pokemon games that mattered had a much better story: You need to one up your rival, defeat the Elite Four and be the bestest trainer of all times.

iniudan

Apr 27, 2011
Gethsemani said:
JoJo said:
The only Pokemon games that mattered had a much better story: You need to one up your rival, defeat the Elite Four and be the bestest trainer of all times.
You forgot about having to catch'em all.

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
That last panel suits me and my friends so well.

"Okay, so we need this class, and that class. We need a Nova and a Saren... BeerTent, Could you be-"

"I'M GONNA BE A MAG! :D"

"We really don't need a-"

"I'M FUCKING MAG! WE DOING THIS!"

---

"Alright, We got an enforcer, we got a good crook and a ghost, now we need a Technician, Beer, you-

"I'M GONNA BE MY ENFORCER-MASTERMIND BUILD!"

"I was really hoping you'd-"

"MINIGUN TIIIMMMEEEE~"

---

I don't play many conventional RPG's.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
BeerTent said:
That last panel suits me and my friends so well.

"Okay, so we need this class, and that class. We need a Nova and a Saren... BeerTent, Could you be-"

"I'M GONNA BE A MAG! :D"

"We really don't need a-"

"I'M FUCKING MAG! WE DOING THIS!"

---

"Alright, We got an enforcer, we got a good crook and a ghost, now we need a Technician, Beer, you-

"I'M GONNA BE MY ENFORCER-MASTERMIND BUILD!"

"I was really hoping you'd-"

"MINIGUN TIIIMMMEEEE~"

---

I don't play many conventional RPG's.
Question: has BeerTent ever enthusiastically shouted out his name while charging head-long into absolute an certain death for the entire party, a la Leroy Jenkins? From the way you talk about Mr. Tent, it sounds like something he'd (or "she'd", to be fair :p) do.

FillerDmon

Jun 6, 2014
LifeCharacter said:
iniudan said:
Gethsemani said:
JoJo said:
You forgot about having to catch'em all.
Quite the tragic ending that one: not only realizing that it is quite impossible for you to actually catch'em all, but that cartoon catch phrases lied to you. It is a life of unfulfilled promises and broken dreams. Then, after the despair sets in you find a way to rip a tear in the universe so you can throw some of your pets into it and get some new ones out of it. Hopefully that doesn't have any serious repercussions on existence, like continually spawning more and more species of Pokemon.
I dunno; it's usually a few years between sequels, and with the evergrowing community and increased frequency of events, it's become more and more easy to catch 'em all and keep 'em all without needing to play by yourself with a cheat-device.

Honestly, if they took the mytical element out, the stories would still be servicable. Terrorists are being assholes; feel free to use them as target practice while you engage in a country wide cock-fighting competition. .... there needs to be a game in which you join the police force and go around catching criminals on both a micro and macro level.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
If only certain rpg's have this abridge approach to their story telling plot.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Scarim Coral said:
"You are a dream. Your dad is Cthulhu. Walk this tube for 40 hours being all angsty-like and kill him"

or

"The bad guy told us that if we kill him the world will be destroyed. We killed him. The world was(almost)destroyed. Turns out he wasn't lying, deus ex machina notwithstanding".

Feel better now?

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Rogue (Ranger) is the best class. But Wizard works great with Rad's personality!
Totes gonna explore those newfound powers in the most enthusiastic ways possible!
KABLAMMM!!!!

NPC009

Don't mind me, I'm just a NPC
Aug 23, 2010
Hope he likes poking things with a dagger, because that's pretty much the only thing most JRPG wizards do when not fighting bosses.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
NPC009 said:
Hope he likes poking things with a dagger, because that's pretty much the only thing most JRPG wizards do when not fighting bosses.
Well, that and nuking over-sized groups of mobs.

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
Did this strip give anyone else the same kind of vibes you got watching Unskippable?

Man, I miss those guys. :(

NPC009

Don't mind me, I'm just a NPC
Aug 23, 2010
sageoftruth said:
NPC009 said:
Well, that and nuking over-sized groups of mobs.
Only if those mobs actually exist (they often don't) and there's MP to spare before the boss fight, which is also unlikely because not all save points restore MP. MP restoring potions? Heck, we all know the player is going to hoard those just in case.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Dalisclock said:
Scarim Coral said:
"You are a dream. Your dad is Cthulhu. Walk this tube for 40 hours being all angsty-like and kill him"

or

"The bad guy told us that if we kill him the world will be destroyed. We killed him. The world was(almost)destroyed. Turns out he wasn't lying, deus ex machina notwithstanding".

Feel better now?
Ooh! Or maybe:
"Heroes go on quest to save the world/girl/get treasure/whatever. Turns out the bad guy gets the heroes to make them all powerful, thus the world would be perfectly safe if the heroes just stayed home. Heroes then beat bad guy. The end.