Report: Zelda: Twilight Princess HD Will Have "Amiibo Exclusive" New Dungeon

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Report: Zelda: Twilight Princess HD Will Have "Amiibo Exclusive" New Dungeon

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1002/1002095.png
According to a listing on Amazon France, Zelda: Twilight Princess HD will have a new dungeon accessed via the new Wolf Amiibo.

Love 'em or hate 'em, it's become clear that HD remake of Twilight Princess [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/amiibo] will also have an amiibo-gated level.

"Unlock bonuses with The Legend of Zelda amiibos: Tap all the amiibos for the Zelda series to unlock bonuses in the game, such as regenerating your life, or getting arrows for your bow. The new Wolf Link amiibo even allows you to get into a new dungeon: 'The Twilight Cave'. The data recorded on this amiibo can even be transferred to the next episode on Wii U," claims the listing.

At this point, we can't tell how substantial the dungeon will be, or if it will be available via any other means (such as an eShop purchase). For comparison, the additional levels granted by Splatoon amiibo are as of now not available any other way.

Other information revealed the the Amazon France listing is a new "Hero Mode" which will immediately be unlocked right from the get-go, and the fact that the game's inventory screen has been moved down to the Wii U's gamepad.

We've reached out to Nintendo for confirmation.

Source: NeoGAF [http://www.amazon.fr/gp/aw/d/B017XX1HO4/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1452759340&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX118_SY170_QL70&keywords=twilight+princess+hd&dpPl=1&dpID=51mO4B9rPGL&ref=plSrch#productDescription_secondary_view_div_1452759352156]

loa

Jan 28, 2012
I wonder how many of those thing will they produce? 10?
Must be awesome to have content gated behind that.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Create limited DLC in the shape of a cute toy and people won't hate you for it, cuz look, a cute toy.

Nintendo truly is the only company that's still all about games... and bullshit DLC. And worse yet, people are celebrating this practice, showing off their dumb amiibo collections.

jamail77

May 21, 2011
erttheking said:
One way or another, this is what we call a "dick move."

Sorry, on Rick and Morty withdrawal fitting as it may be. Nintendo is really abusing this whole amiibo thing. It's almost like-
Casual Shinji said:
Create limited DLC in the shape of a cute toy and people won't hate you for it, cuz look, a cute toy.
Yeah. Like that.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
edit: forgot the error in "translation error." I think it's bed time now.

If the "Twilight Cave" just another one of those small caves spread throughout Hyrule with the only difference being it's slightly larger than the next largest and has some unique art assets, or it has less "character" than the Ice Cavern in Ocarina of Time, big whoop.

If the new dungeon is rather large and/or has some nifty item inside, locking it behind an Amiibo (especially one that may be hard to find within a few weeks of release) is a total dick move, worthy of nomination for the annual Dick Move Awards.

I hope this is a mistake on Amazon France's listing or a translation error. The possibility of a decently sized new dungeon does sound great, but it is piss poor when Amiibo literally become keys to unlock on disc DLC.[footnote]Granted, I've read about some Nintendo games that do use Amiibo in interesting, non-cosmetic ways.[/footnote]

Seriously, if any game pulls this again, it needs a reasonable in-game way to unlock what the Amiibo can. I wouldn't care if you had to do the typical Zelda trading sequence to get into this hypothetical dungeon, but having to get a high score in some annoying and/or hard minigame to do the same would be as bad as not having the option.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Casual Shinji said:

Nintendo truly is the only company that's still all about games... and bullshit DLC. And worse yet, people are celebrating this practice, showing off their dumb amiibo collections.
Well, many, if not most, of the people who spent several months worth of rent and groceries on their collections don't ever use them. Nintendo just thinks "derp, we sold tons of Amiibos, it's totes okay to pull this kind of crap," since the numbers are high.

If this rumor is really true, maybe it's time for another tsunami of tweets, Facebook posts, angry emails, and stupidly arrogant petitions. Those messages seemed to somewhat give Big N a kick in the ass to make more Amiibos of the characters they thought wouldn't sell well. Then again, Nintendo is the pinnacle of stubbornness, when it comes to game companies.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
I will buy the Amiibo for the extra dungeon.

Edit: I have pre-ordered the limited edition of the game.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Sure Nintendo might be over a decade behind on persistent multi console online accounts, but you gotta give them some credit for developing the worst microtransaction system I have ever seen. Oops, did I say credit? I meant endless well earned mockery.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
HD as in more stupid over-done lighting? Now with locked away cheats and content? They are just going to get worse now.

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
Eh, despite my gut reaction, I'm inclined to wait and see how large this "dungeon" really is before casting judgement. Not that it really matters to me as anything other than something to potentially shake my fist angrily at, since I don't own a Wii U anyway, nor have I really cared about Zelda since the N64.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
I'm kind of reflexively angry at this, but if I'm honest, my heart isn't in it. Twilight Princess is not a fun game; it's slow and ponderous, like a dimwitted giant trying to remember if he left the keys to his castle up the beanstalk. The dungeons are exercises in tedium without anything new or interesting to make the formula less monotonous (explore dungeon; find area you can't get to; find dungeon item; go back and use it to get to area you couldn't get to; use item on boss so you can hit boss with sword; hit boss with sword), so being promised another dungeon to be bored by doesn't do much for me.

I do like the sword combat, though. Unlocking the moves is dumb, but using them is great. I love the mortal draw and the helm splitter.

sonicneedslovetoo

Jul 6, 2015
WolvDragon said:
So uh you basically have to buy a 10 dollar toy, just to unlock an extra dungeon? -slow clap- Brilliant move Nintendo! You truly know how to suck money out like a vampire! No doubt some fans and non fans will buy the amiibo for the extra dungeon.
Sadly the wolf link Amiibo is about 50-60$ but you know there isn't a Scalper that isn't going to at least jack that up to 100$.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I remember when people praised Nintendo for not being dumb with DLC, sadly some are saying the same freaking thing these days when they're charging way too much for DLC or stuffing it in rare ass toys. I mean, be far it from me to call Nintendo out on on-disc DLC but ...it's on Disc DLC and they deserve as much crap as Ubisoft, Capcom, EA or whoever else swings this crap.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
I'm just sitting here and smiling while looking at Nintendo fans being angry. This is the company you were defending all this time, people.

And it's only going to go downhill from there. Marvelous.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
JimB said:
I'm kind of reflexively angry at this, but if I'm honest, my heart isn't in it. Twilight Princess is not a fun game; it's slow and ponderous, like a dimwitted giant trying to remember if he left the keys to his castle up the beanstalk. The dungeons are exercises in tedium without anything new or interesting to make the formula less monotonous (explore dungeon; find area you can't get to; find dungeon item; go back and use it to get to area you couldn't get to; use item on boss so you can hit boss with sword; hit boss with sword), so being promised another dungeon to be bored by doesn't do much for me.
I guess it makes sense then that the game actually has a dungeon with a dimwitted giant that forgets the location of the key item.
RealRT said:
I'm just sitting here and smiling while looking at Nintendo fans being angry. This is the company you were defending all this time, people.

And it's only going to go downhill from there. Marvelous.
Hardcore Nintendo fans never get angry (except at Sony and Microsoft), they get creative with excuses as to why whatever bullshit Nintendo pulls is actually them setting a new, positive trend. That or it's the evil third-party Illuminati.