Mario and Sonic Return to the Olympics

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Mario and Sonic Return to the Olympics

Not content with the piles of gold medals they got at the Summer Olympics, Mario and Sonic are taking their medal race to the Winter Olympics later this year, Sega and Nintendo announced today.

Developed by Sega of Japan "under the guidance of Shigeru Miyamoto" to coincide with the Vancouver games next year, Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games will be another set of minigames based on Olympic events. While the Summer Olympics had events like the high jump and gymnastics, the Winter Games will feature Alpine Skiing and Speed Skating among a whole other slew of events to be announced. Being on the Wii and DS, you can expect the game to have copious waggle waving and stylus scratching. There'll also be new characters from both the Sonic and Mario franchises. Let's all hope for a playable version of Big the Cat [http://www.mariowiki.com/Big_the_Cat], who was only an NPC in the first game. I could see him playing Olympic hockey.

"Sega has been a valued publishing partner of Nintendo for many years and Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games is the ultimate representation of that relationship," Nintendo's Reggie Fils-Aime said. "We look for this game to continue the tradition its predecessor started by bringing new events, new characters, and new gameplay experiences to fans worldwide."

The Wii version will notably feature Balance Board support, which probably means we'll get a snowboarding event in the vein of Shaun White Snowboarding and, I hope, a bobsled event where you lie down on the board and shift your weight around as you ride. If there is bobsledding, don't doubt that I'll buy this game, make Miis out of every Cool Runnings [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106611/] cast member (John Candy included) and have them compete in the event.

grinklehi

Sep 10, 2008
Sheesh, that's the third report about franchise milking I've seen in the last 10 minutes, is the recession so bad that they needed to cut back on the amount of work in between games all of a sudden?

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
grinklehi said:
Sheesh, that's the third report about franchise milking I've seen in the last 10 minutes, is the recession so bad that they needed to cut back on the amount of work in between games all of a sudden?
I'm sure they had the milking of this franchise in the books way before the recession hit.

On that note, I actually liked the first game a lot...I bought it as a joke but then it ended up being a staple with me and my roommates. Though that was mostly cause you can stick whatever Miis you want in and it'll slap their faces onto some generic Olympic athlete's body, so we would just make ridiculous looking dudes like Gabe Newell with a gymnast body.

Jabbawocky

Sep 3, 2008
So I guess this to be followed by Mario and Sonic at the 2012 games? I really hoped that this wasn't one route Nintendo and Sega took, but in the end why not? Just cause I didn't like it doesn't mean that others didn't right?

Nexus424

Master Of All That Is Frosty
Dec 26, 2008
Games like these can always be remade. They aren't that bad on a casual standpoint so why not. While most people aren't tired of it there shouldn't be too much a prob.

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
Why are Nintendo and Sega adopting the "EA Strategy" of sports titles?
Sure, these guys are more marketable than grizzly football players, but it's still crap.

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Wouldukindly said:
Will there be a game against a Jamaican bobsled team? And how come the summer games version had a big logo of the city it's in, but one of my favourite cities, Vancouver, doesn't get such an honour?
It does, I just cropped it out. Cause I hate Vancouver.

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
You cannot be serious, another piece of crap game that fanboys will buy, I guess mario and sonic must have millions.