Pokken Tournament is Coming to Wii Us Globally This March

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Pokken Tournament is Coming to Wii Us Globally This March

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/Pokemon/status/688014397051170818]
Upcoming Pokemon fighting games Pokken Tournament will be getting a western release.

worldwide on the Wii U [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/pokken%20tournament?os=%20pokken%20tournament], and now, the Pokemon Company has confirmed the game's official release date. Pokken Tournament will release on Wii U globally, on March 18, 2016.

Pokken Tournament is being developed by Bandai Namco - the guys behind the Tekken series. There are currently 16 playable characters in the game, with plans for more to be added over time. We're not sure how many characters the Wii U version will launch with, and how post-launch DLC will be handled, but we do know that Garchomp, Braxian, and Mewtwo will be exclusive to Wii U.

Additionally, first-print Wii U copies of the game will be packaged with a Shadow Mewtwo amiibo card, that will unlock the character in-game.

Source: Twitter [https://twitter.com/Pokemon/status/688014397051170818]

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Shadow Mewtwo?!? Whaaat.

Brb, preordering from Amazon.

Also yes! That's not long after my birthday. I get Twilight Princess, Pokken Tournament, and Zootopia all within a few weeks of each other. My life is great.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Well, its neat that this exists but I would rather it be made by Arc System Works. They made Guilty Gear and Blazblu.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
16 characters out of 749 seems a little too shabby, even if you double the roster with Amiibos.

Millky95

Nov 19, 2009
Johnny Novgorod said:
16 characters out of 749 seems a little too shabby, even if you double the roster with Amiibos.
721* and not all would be appropriate for this game. As much as we would love to see Metapod vs Kakuna harden wars, I doubt they'll be made. Also, there are 20 support Mons so at least 35 are being shown (Pikachu and LibreChu are the same)

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
Johnny Novgorod said:
For a fighting game though? That's actually fairly standard. I mean, Street Fighter V has 16 and I think 6 DLC characters at launch. Besides, they've been announcing characters every few weeks so we might get some more before launch. I mean, the announced that we can play as a freaking chandelier so at least we're getting variety.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
xaszatm said:
For a fighting game though? That's actually fairly standard. I mean, Street Fighter V has 16 and I think 6 DLC characters at launch. Besides, they've been announcing characters every few weeks so we might get some more before launch. I mean, the announced that we can play as a freaking chandelier so at least we're getting variety.
Especially since it's a first iteration fighter. For better context, Street Fighter II and the original Mortal Kombat had 8 apiece, Tekken's original arcade release had 8, Soul Edge had 9, Virtua Fighter had 9, Smash Bros 64 had 12, Guilty Gear had 13, and Blazblue had 12. If anything Pokken Tournament is above average in that regard (though the original arcade had 13), especially since there are probably more fighters to unveil.

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see how this goes over. Nintendo experimenting with its franchises by juxtaposing them against vastly different genres has worked out pretty well so far. Adding a ghost chandelier to the roster has cemented that all bets are off for the game so I fully expect more wacky additions to the roster in the future.

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
Steven Bogos said:
Braixen*.

That's good to hear. Hoping they're release at least four other playable Pokemon, and hopefully at least one of which will be Scrafty, Hitmonlee or something so unexpected I'll have to like it. In the vein of Chandelure!

That said, I don't own a Wii U and don't plan to, so I probably won't even play it.

Urgh76

May 27, 2009
>Braixen
>BRAIXEN

Where were you when Nintendo finally realized that a lot of their mid evolution pokemon have vastly better designs than their final forms?

This is amazing, and I didn't expect it to be coming to us this quick. Just give me Bayleef and I'm completely set

Chriss_m

Sep 22, 2014
You also need to understand that every single character added to the game totally fucks the balance, so needs to be intricately designed. You can't just fling in hundreds of characters and have an in depth, balanced fighting game. Just like at the later Naruto games. Shallow and lacklustre.