All of Quentin Tarantino's Movies Take Place in The Same Universe

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
All of Quentin Tarantino's Movies Take Place in The Same Universe

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/667/667127.jpg
Quentin Tarantino has confirmed something his fans have speculated for decades: all his movies are in the same universe.

Vic Vega from Quentin Tarantino's Reservoir Dogs and Vincent Vega from Pulp Fiction just so happen to be brothers. True Romance's Lee Donowtiz, is the son of Inglorious Basterd's Donnie Donowitz. These subtle little connections have led many fans to believe that all of the famous director's movies are within the same universe. Now, in an interview with The Project [http://tenplay.com.au/channel-ten/the-project] Tarantino has confirmed it to be true.

However, it's not quite as simple as that. He says that there are actually, technically, two universes for his movies. There is the base universe and then a "movie" universe which contains the movies that people in Tarantinoverse watch.

"So From Dusk Till Dawn, Kill Bill, they all take place in this special movie universe," Tarantino said. "So when all the characters of Reservoir Dogs or Pulp Fiction, when they go to the movies, Kill Bill is what they go to see. From Dusk Till Dawn is what they see."

Interesting, considering that Pulp Fiction's Mia Wallace is an aspiring actress... perhaps Kill Bill is the big acting break she finally got after the failed Fox Force Five.

Tarantino also confirmed that after The Hateful Eight, he will only make two more movies.

Source: Polygon [http://tenplay.com.au/channel-ten/the-project]

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Well I'm upset he's only gonna direct two more movies, I'm curious if this means Inglourious Basterds is in the "movies", or if the world his characters inhabit is actually in the fucked up alternate history put forth by that film's conclusion.

Death Proof is pretty obviously in the movie universe, because it shares so much with Planet Terror.

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
Soviet Heavy said:
Well I'm upset he's only gonna direct two more movies, I'm curious if this means Inglourious Basterds is in the "movies", or if the world his characters inhabit is actually in the fucked up alternate history put forth by that film's conclusion.

Death Proof is pretty obviously in the movie universe, because it shares so much with Planet Terror.
This has been a popular fan theory for a while, and said theory states that Inglourious Basterds is part of the real universe, not the film one. The fact that the Third Reich was basically destroyed in a mass assassination in a movie theatre is the reason people in this universe talk about films and relate things to film tropes so often; film (and violence related to film) is an integral part of this universe's history and cultural consciousness.
But hey, that's just a theory.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Isn't this something people have known about for a pretty long time now given the fact it's never been particularly well hidden, or the fact he's practically spelt it out for us for years with things like ideas for crossover movies that only never happened due to the actors simply being too old?

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Too bad the quality wasn't in the same universe. From incredibly funny or somewhat subtle comedy in his earlier works to outright goofy. Ugh

Well it's an interesting thought, so does that mean that in his last film is he going to show how they all tie together or something?

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
I'm just hoping he'll tackle the Sci-Fi genre before he hangs his hat. He's done Crime Dramas, he's done referential nods to Spaghetti Westerns and Wuxia flicks and sixties' Martial Arts series, he's tackled Horror with Robert Rodriguez and From Dusk Till Dawn... He's done plenty of action material, too.

All that's missing is a good Sci-Fi piece. I'd love to see Tarantino direct a smart Space Opera or something along the lines of Blade Runner.

enginieri

Apr 1, 2015
Something like Space Mutiny but with a better budget, gore, high violence and witty dialog?... Does not compute... does not compute...

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
have to say its a damn shame if he only directs two more. he is one of the few film makers that i actually love every single thing hes released

stormtrooper9091

Jun 2, 2010
Welcome to 10 years ago innit.

Also, he can't make any more movies because his typecast are all getting quite old, I reckon Sam probably only has a few more "angry guy with a chip on his shoulder" years

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Steven Bogos said:
Interesting, considering that Pulp Fiction's Mia Farrow is an aspiring actress... perhaps Kill Bill is the big acting break she finally got after the failed Fox Force Five.
I assume you meant to say Mia Wallace there, because Mia Farrow is an actual actress. Though it would've been interesting seeing her in the overdose scene.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Now can you make a movie that takes place in the "Real Universe" Taratino. Please?

Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction are my absolute favorites of your list. Django Unchained was the closest thing to being the more "grounded in reality" movie you have made in awhile.

Please make another modern gangster movie. With a collection of 60s - 70s pop tracks.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
The universe has not been kind to Samuel Jackson and his Prestige clones.

While it saddens me to hear he only has two left in him, I think it's probably better to do the Bill Waterson thing and end while the material is still good. It would break my heart if I had to leave the theater after a Tarintino film saying "Well, that movie sucked."

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
enginieri said:
Something like Space Mutiny but with a better budget, gore, high violence and witty dialog?... Does not compute... does not compute...
But it's gotta have as many railings as Space Mutiny. Anything "like" Space Mutiny has to have hundreds of railings and balustrades. Oh and people riding around on sci-fi looking golf carts.

Actually I'd expect a Tarantino sci-fi movie to be more like a mix of Serenity and Space Truckers. And it would be awesome.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
1) We know Vic Vega from Reservoir Dogs and Vincent Vega from Pulp Fiction are brothers.
2) And that Vic's parole officer is Scagnetti, possibly the same Scagnetti (or relative) from Natural Born Killers.
3) Also, Kill Bill is a "movie" in the universe of Pulp Fiction, apparently.
4) The presence of Sheriff Earl McGraw confirms this. He appears in Kill Bill and From Dusk Till Dawn, said to be "movies" in Tarantino's universe. He also appears in Death Proof (which shares another character with Kill Bill: Jasper the rapist) and Grindhouse. So these are all "movies" in the Reservoir Dogs/Pulp Fiction/Natural Born Killers universe.

On the other hand, we know Django Unchained takes place in the same universe as The Hateful Eight; that Hateful Eight's Pete Hickox is an ancestor of Inglorious Basterd's Archie Hickox, and that Inglorious Basterd's Donnie Donowitz is an ancestor to True Romance's Lee Donowitz. Now if there was a way of connecting this chain to any of the other movies...

The only movie I can't figure out is Jackie Brown, I guess because it's technically an adaptation of a novel that wasn't written by Tarantino, and therefore wasn't "configured" to take place in the same universe as all of his other movies.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
IamLEAM1983 said:
All that's missing is a good Sci-Fi piece.
Or a court room drama. He sure loves characters building up arguments. And besides we'd be treated to Hon. Judge Sam Jackson.

"Your honor..."
"WHAT. WHAT THE FLYING FUCK."