Resident Evil 0 HD Remaster Review - Digging Up A Dead Past

MyLifeIsAnRPG

Jan 20, 2011
Resident Evil 0 HD Remaster Review - Digging Up A Dead Past

Resident Evil 0 HD Remaster adds some new content, but it can't hide the flaws of the original.

Read Full Article

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Well this is good. RE0 was the first one I played through all to the end and I actually enjoyed it, so mayhaps I'll pick it up.

I know people are going to jump on me for this, but Resident Evil 2 was only okay. It got really silly, especially in the last fourth or so.

Then again, that's what made RE4 so amazing. Fully embracing the silly, like Leslie Nielsen. In fact Resident Evil 4 really is the Airplane of zombie games, isn't it?

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
No amount of HD-fying can save this game from being a crusted over, bland piece of poo. The only good thing about it is the train, and even that gets partially ruined by the horrid Partner system and lack of item boxes.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Silentpony said:
Well this is good. RE0 was the first one I played through all to the end and I actually enjoyed it, so mayhaps I'll pick it up.

I know people are going to jump on me for this, but Resident Evil 2 was only okay. It got really silly, especially in the last fourth or so.

Then again, that's what made RE4 so amazing. Fully embracing the silly, like Leslie Nielsen. In fact Resident Evil 4 really is the Airplane of zombie games, isn't it?
I like to think of RE as a series of bad, but fun B-movies. The goofiness is part of the package, especially in the original games. There's a reason that even the remakes kept the infamous Jill Sandwich line : D

If I wanted something serious, I'd go play Silent Hill. I haven't played this, but I may give it a look. Rebecca always seemed like one of the more underutilized characters.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
I think RE: 0 is actually quite enjoyable. The complaints in the review seem kinda unfair to me as this is a game from 2002 that is being held to the standard of it's modern contemporaries. The camp and awkward controls have also been a trademark RE feature since the series inception. The reviewer probably didn't play the games when they originally came out which explains the lack of perspective.

RE: 0 didn't have the sinister ambiance of RE Remake which puts the game a few notches back and the introduction of Hideki Kayima nonsense like a ridiculous leech villain in a white robe didn't help things either but otherwise in it's moment-to-moment gameplay it remains very faithful to the original formula. The partner swapping and item management I could do without but it doesn't really detract from the experience. Even the 'anime' influence on the game adds a layer of campy enjoyment that sits well with the overall changes in design.

Not nearly as good as RE Remake but I still look back quite fondly on RE: 0. It might not be the best in the series but it's still miles above uninspired trite like RE5 or RE6. If you enjoyed classic RE games and don't mind an excellent derivative of RE Remake than you'll probably enjoy RE: 0.

Ticklefist

Jul 19, 2010
I had fun with this. It played like a real Resident Evil game, not the post-RE4 mass market compromises. I could have done without the cheesy turn of the millennium style anime villain but oh well, those were the times then.