Warcraft Movie's First TV Short Unites Humans And Orcs

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Warcraft Movie's First TV Short Unites Humans And Orcs

Warcraft's new trailer shows off a bit of new footage.

We got our first peek at Duncan Jones' upcoming Warcraft movie adaptation back in November [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/161342-First-Look-at-the-Warcraft-Movie-Trailer-from-Blizzcon#&gid=gallery_4996&pid=1], but haven't really heard too much about it since. Now, the film has received its first official TV spot, and while clocking in at a mere 30 seconds, does have a little bit of new footage.

The film has had a substantially lengthy production process, and the original release date of December 2015 has shifted twice, to the current date of June 10, 2016 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130062-Warcraft-Film-Pushed-Into-2016].

Blizzard is working very closely with producer Legendary Pictures and director Duncan Jones to ensure that the film matches its vision of the Warcraft universe.

Jones also posted a couple of behind the scenes shots of the movie in progress to accompany the trailer's release:

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/ManMadeMoon/status/690951749247459328]
[tweet t=https://twitter.com/ManMadeMoon/status/690951812111699968]

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
I have a feeling this will bomb. Sorry to derail the hype train but we've seen so little of this so close to its release (relative to release). I think its taken way too long to get this movie made and its time has passed as well. Video game movies just don't do well in theatres.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
AzrealMaximillion said:
I have a feeling this will bomb. Sorry to derail the hype train but we've seen so little of this so close to its release (relative to release). I think its taken way too long to get this movie made and its time has passed as well. Video game movies just don't do well in theatres.
Maybe if they upped it from PG13...

Every time I see a trailer for this movie, I get the same vibe from the 2001 D&D movie. I hope that they make a direct to DVD movie made entirely by the cinematic department.

ron1n

Jan 28, 2013
Looking at those set photos... Makes me wish there was a World of Warcraft Disney style theme park. Would be awesome.

Combustion Kevin

Nov 17, 2011
I've said it before and I'll say it again, when we asked for a warcraft movie, we wanted a feature-length blizzard cinematic, not this!

Halyah said:
Not particularly excited about the movie itself for numerous reason, but I am highly curious as to how much money it'll earn. Given its blizzard, likely a fair bit if I had to guess.

That said I do look forward to see how the writers intend to whitewash the orcish invasion of a kingdom that had no contact with them, never did anything wrong to them and never would've done anything to them in the first place due to the fact that the orcs live on a completely different planet altogether and opened a portal for the sole reason of invading a completely new world because they were bloodthirsty warmongers binging on demonblood(ie drugs basically) and were told to do so by their bosses.
I smell retcon in the air, probably something about orcs being mislead into believing this war is necessary for them to survive, or the first expedition of orcs running into the most contrived asshole of a human commander (I'm looking at you, Frozen Throne!).

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Huh. The orc guy actually sounds like he's trying to talk past a pair of massive tasks.

Points for verisimilitude I guess, but it makes him sound a bit goofy.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Zhukov said:
Huh. The orc guy actually sounds like he's trying to talk past a pair of massive tasks.

Points for verisimilitude I guess, but it makes him sound a bit goofy.
That's just that one Orc. I heard another that sounded more clear in the official trailer.

The one that said "You side with the Humans against your own kind?"

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
008Zulu said:
AzrealMaximillion said:

Every time I see a trailer for this movie, I get the same vibe from the 2001 D&D movie. I hope that they make a direct to DVD movie made entirely by the cinematic department.
Granted, if Jeremy Irons shows up and eats all the scenery, I'll be throwing money at the studio.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Did this trailer actually show anything new? It just seemed like a shortened version of the first trailer.

Anyway, despite my liking of Duncan Jones as a director, I have zero optimism for this movie.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Mangod said:
008Zulu said:
AzrealMaximillion said:

Granted, if Jeremy Irons shows up and eats all the scenery, I'll be throwing money at the studio.

Oh yes, god that would be lovely. Damn, now I need to watch Nostalgia Critics review of that movie again for his redubbing of Jeremy Iron's dialogue.

OT: I'm very meh, on this. Fell out of love with WoW back during Burning Crusade, so this isn't really hitting my buttons. Plus, like someone said above, we wanted Blizzard to do a full animated film, not live action. So again, meh.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
I think it will make a fairly good swan song to a franchise that has been quickly dwindling in popularity. They just spent so much time working on the lore there isn't anything left to move forward on in Warcraft. The only thing left is a repeated dishwasher cycle on old themes done over and over again (and often done better in a previous iteration).

But lets be frank, we played the Blizzard games based on the gameplay and setting/theme way more than any story reason. The guys making (made at this point) the movie have their work cut out for them, that is for sure.

Turmoill

May 9, 2010
Guys, lets try to be a bit more optimistic and take off the "past game movies sucked" shades off.

There's an easy way to make a good game movie:

"Developers have to give a flying faq about the property."

And I do belive, from what I've see that Duncan Jones and his crew have given it.
I dunno what people that are complaining about "bad CGI" are looking at. I mean compare organic CGI from Avatar to the one of Warcraft and you'll see how realistic the orcs look.
But in the end, everybody, we have to accept that a movie won't be just judged just on the visuals, but also on the story.

I mean good movies are able to get away with bad CGI. But if the story sucks, than you can expect the whole thing to go downhill, no matter how kickass the visuals are. Did you all forget about Transformers movies?

Now I have an extensive knowledge of Warcraft lore so I'm not gonna spoil the story that's based on (it's drawing source material from The Last Guardian book), but ask yourself:
If the story that the trailer seems to show had happened, do you think we'd still have Alliance vs Horde thing going on in the game after all these years?

Synigma

Dec 24, 2014
Frankly it's Blizzard at the helm, they have always taken their time and made sure to release the most worthwhile product they can so I don't see that this will be any different. This will be a combat heavy movie and I don't know how good Duncan is at directing that... so I have my doubts but I think it'll be at least a fun movie to watch.

I'm hoping for a grand success so we can eventually get the Lich King up on screen... if just to show the fall of Arthas (because it was handled a hell of a lot better than Anakin's)

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
I don't really like the whole, "These Orcs are working with the Humans to save everybody!" angle. That... that never happened.

I suppose I'll just have to consider the movies as a separate canon, what with flying Dalaran and all that.

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
Alar said:
I don't really like the whole, "These Orcs are working with the Humans to save everybody!" angle. That... that never happened.

I suppose I'll just have to consider the movies as a separate canon, what with flying Dalaran and all that.
Honestly, if there's anything that bothers me about this movie, it's the assertion that this is how the story of WarCraft I was meant to be told; it just smacks of a George Lucasian inability to leave anything the f*** alone.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Mangod said:
Alar said:

Honestly, if there's anything that bothers me about this movie, it's the assertion that this is how the story of WarCraft I was meant to be told; it just smacks of a George Lucasian inability to leave anything the f*** alone.
It's been stated multiple times that the movie isn't in the same continuity as the games. Flying Dalaran is one such example.

And let's be honest, WC1 barely had a story. WC2 barely had a story either for that matter. Frankly, I'm fine with the movie doing its own thing. It doesn't affect the game's continuity, but allows a more nuanced tale than "orcs bad, humans good, fight."