Man Builds Homemade, Elysium-Style Exoskeleton, Lifts Car

JaredJones

Jun 8, 2015
Man Builds Homemade, Elysium-Style Exoskeleton, Lifts Car

Fixing a flat tire just went from frustrating to...slightly less frustrating.

Earlier this month, 19-year-old Virginian Charlotte Heffelmire made national headlines when she hysterical strength [http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/humankind/2016/01/12/teen-girl-uses-crazy-strength-lift-burning-car-off-dad/78675898/]," or the display of superhuman strength during a life-or-death siutation, and earned Charlotte not only the respect of every man, woman, and bodybuilder on the block, but a "Citizen Life Saving Award" from the Fairfax County Fire department as well.

But for those of us who lack the strength or the courage of a teenage girl, the idea of lifting a car remains a number on a bucket list that may never be crossed off. That was, until earlier today, when Youtuber/engineer the Hacksmith [https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjgpFI5dU-D1-kh9H1muoxQ] unleashed his latest creation on the world, which will forever change the world of competitive and/or under-duress vehicle-lifting.

That's right: Robot legs.

Last year, the Hacksmith successfully built an Elysium-inspired, powered exoskeleton capable of a 16-part Youtube series [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQsAHhRxwvw], but after being called out by the Internet's experts for being a big fat phony (or something to that effect), he decided to quit his job, devote himself full time to building exoskeletons, and patiently wait until 2016 to unveil, you guessed it, robot legs capable of lifting cars.

Well, a MINI Cooper, but still!

Using a completely self-designed, self-powered legs-oskeleton (copyright The Escapist 2016), the Hacksmith was able to lift the 2,524 pound car off the ground with the ease of a Ferrigno or a Heffelmire, making his transformation from man into machine nearly complete.

"The next big step is building an upper body to match this," said the Hacktivist in the video above, clearly having missed the message of The Terminator...and Jurassic Park, for that matter.

In any case, someone should probably tell [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ltORkYAdVk#t=00m21s] that he can finally get that surgery.

truckspond

Oct 26, 2013
The fact that this is even possible today is awesome - the fact that it was built out of a guy's garage is even more awesome. Sure, it's not in a cave with a box of scraps but it's still damn awesome

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
I... I find it hard to believe that that girl lifted a truck. I'd like to know more about the story, but I can't seem to find anything more out about it.

EDIT: After looking into some examples of hysterical strength, and some really messed up videos of feats of strength, like kids lifting trucks and stuff, I guess that I can see how this could happen after all... though I still have some doubts.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
I. Am. Iron. Man. *Meaty riff kicks in*

Excellent work there. He hasn't saved anyone like that supergirl has yet though i'm sure given enough time hanging around accident prone roads will soon bear fruit of heroic deeds. By which time i will have finished "the device" and become his super-villain that knows his weakness. Water pistols, buckets of water and good ole' fashioned supersonic lead.

Oct 15, 2015
Er. its just a battery powered pneumatic jack he just mounted to a vest. You can buy them for 100-250. Its neat that he thought to mount it to something he can wear, but its not anything extraordinary.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
the December King said:
I... I find it hard to believe that that girl lifted a truck. I'd like to know more about the story, but I can't seem to find anything more out about it.

EDIT: After looking into some examples of hysterical strength, and some really messed up videos of feats of strength, like kids lifting trucks and stuff, I guess that I can see how this could happen after all... though I still have some doubts.
Where are the doubts? Incidents of hysterical strength have been going on forever. How is this the first you've heard of it?

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
Thyunda said:
the December King said:

Where are the doubts? Incidents of hysterical strength have been going on forever. How is this the first you've heard of it?
Well, I've never actually seen someone lift a burning car and drag out a full grown man from underneath it, that's all. It does seem hard to believe, doesn't it?

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
truckspond said:
Sure, it's not in a cave with a box of scraps but...
That reference gets me every time. XD

OP: Why didn't he have accompanying mechanical arms? 0/10

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
the December King said:
Thyunda said:
the December King said:

Well, I've never actually seen someone lift a burning car and drag out a full grown man from underneath it, that's all. It does seem hard to believe, doesn't it?
It's too well-documented. Your skepticism was too late. They were already here.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
Thyunda said:
the December King said:
Thyunda said:
the December King said:

It's too well-documented. Your skepticism was too late. They were already here.
It seems to just be a lot of anecdotal evidence, though... I think I'll wait till I see it to believe it, if you don't mind.