EA Unveils Star Wars: Battlefront's 2016 DLC Plans

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
EA Unveils Star Wars: Battlefront's 2016 DLC Plans

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1261/1261958.jpg
Star Wars: Battlefront will receive free and paid DLC updates in 2016 adding new maps based on Bespin, the Death Star and more.

<a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/star%20wars%20battlefront?os=star+wars+battlefront>Star Wars: Battlefront is a fun game. Fun as it is however, there are few who would deny that it's not without its problems. The biggest of these is, easily, its <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/165323-Battlefront-May-Lack-Depth-For-Hardcore-Players>lack of content. Launched with only a handful of maps and worthwhile play modes, there are many who look at it as a significant step down from previous entries in the series. That being the case, Electronic Arts and DICE, in an announcement released today, have detailed <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/165166-Star-Wars-Battlefront-to-Get-More-Free-Maps-After-Jakku>their plans to flesh out the current game and satisfy those fans looking for a little more.

According to the announcement, the first round of updates will be free and launch tomorrow (1/27). The update will include:
Blast, Droid Run, Drop Zone, Hero Hunt and Heroes vs Villains support for the Tatooine Survival map (now called the "Raider Camp").
New Hoth outfits for Luke Skywalker and Han Solo.
Private matches.
New Daily Challenges and immunity events aimed at "giving players the chance to earn credits and unlocks" faster than normal.
Balance "tweaks" to "both weapons and multiplayer modes.

The game will receive more free updates in February, including a new multiplayer map for Hoth that will be compatible with game's Walker Assault, Supremacy, Fighter Squadron and Turning Point modes. The February update will also add a new Hoth Survival mission and expand the Turning Point mode to all maps that can support Supremacy and Walker Assault. In March, the game will also add another new Tatooine Survival level along with another new Endor map that will support its major modes.

In addition to the free content, EA also unveiled its plans for paid DLC in the months ahead. In 2016, Battlefront fans will be able to purchase expansion packs adding maps based in Jabba the Hutt's palace (March 2016), Bespin and Cloud City (Summer 2016) and the Death Star (Fall 2016). A fourth package is also in the works for "early 2017."

In other words, if you enjoy Battlefront the next few months will be adding a lot to love. Just speaking personally, I think the expansion of the Turning Point mode will be a big boost to the game's value. The only other thing I really want is a more substantial fighter combat mode. Who knows, maybe we'll see that in the 2017 DLC.

Source: <a href=http://starwars.ea.com/starwars/battlefront/news/star-wars-battlefront-the-road-ahead>Star Wars Battlefront

MiskWisk

Mar 17, 2012
Ukomba said:
Incoming player base fragmentation and population problems.
To be fair, the main update this talks about is free. Although of course they are putting Bespin maps behind a paywall.

OT: And nothing of value is added at the moment. Well, except for private modes but since that wasn't in the game when it was shipped, well, you won't get praise for doing something late from me.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
MiskWisk said:
Ukomba said:
To be fair, the main update this talks about is free. Although of course they are putting Bespin maps behind a paywall.

OT: And nothing of value is added at the moment. Well, except for private modes but since that wasn't in the game when it was shipped, well, you won't get praise for doing something late from me.
Not just Bespin, Jabba the Hutt's palace and the Death Star too.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Does anyone know if they're still on pace for their expected 13 million sales by the end of March?

No one wants less content for more money than they got a decade ago in Battlefront II.

The rest of my opinion is available by purchasing Expansion number 1, FoolKiller's Battlefront Opinion. It also the first of several opinions in 2016 avaiable in FoolKiller's Opinion Season Pass.

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
I had such high hopes for new heroes, vehicles, game modes....but we get super lame map DLC? We're still doing that?

The game is pretty much half of what it should have been and it seems like the 4 paid pieces of DLC will do nothing to fix that.

No thanks. I might as well wait for Battlefront II. I suspect the release will be timed with the movie anyway.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Finally, some scraps for the fanboys to chomp on. Seriously, EA is just pathetic, and anyone who thinks this is enough either hasn't been gaming very long or has very low standards.

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
I'm surprised they have DLC planned as far as into the next year. Isn't the game pretty much close to dead on PC, anyway? I doubt it will survive 4 paid DLC addons.

Even though consoles have higher numbers of players, I still can't see the community doing well with this much paid DLC content.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
The paid DLC is pretty dumb, but the free update is a step forward I suppose. I don't know... There's just so much missing still that it's truly like, too little too late, EA.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
I don't hate Battlefront. I've had quite a bit of fun with it. But I don't think I'll be buying those maps. If one of the expansions added Galactic Conquest with all those additional maps, I'd probably be interested. But map packs have never been something I was interested in with any game. Not even games I love.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Saltyk said:
I don't hate Battlefront. I've had quite a bit of fun with it. But I don't think I'll be buying those maps. If one of the expansions added Galactic Conquest with all those additional maps, I'd probably be interested. But map packs have never been something I was interested in with any game. Not even games I love.
I agree. I enjoyed Battlefront, and when the new maps come out, I'll start playing it again just for kicks, but I won't be paying for new maps to play on. Free ones, sure, but not paid ones--not unless I have nothing else to spend my money on, and even then, it better be more than just one map per DLC (which it doesn't sound like, according to this article).

In other news, please, for the love of all things Star Wars and holy, tell me, with this new update tomorrow, THAT THE DAMN "PLAYING THE OBJECTIVE" TROPHY WILL BE FIXED! This is the last trophy I need, outside of reaching level 50 and two training mission ones, and it's driving me insane. Getting the most kills is hard enough, but I've pulled it of twice. Both times, NOTHING! Reading the online forums, it appears you need to have the most kills when time runs out in a match. That. Is. Crap. If this isn't fixed with this new update, "pissed" isn't even going to begin to describe my mood.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
UsefulPlayer 1 said:
I had such high hopes for new heroes, vehicles, game modes....but we get super lame map DLC? We're still doing that?

The game is pretty much half of what it should have been and it seems like the 4 paid pieces of DLC will do nothing to fix that.

No thanks. I might as well wait for Battlefront II. I suspect the release will be timed with the movie anyway.
If we go off Battlefield and Hardline's Premium system, map packs always come with new vehicles, weapons, and modes. DICE has already announced that there will be 4 new heroes by the time the season pass ends. Their announcement is oddly worded.

OT: I am genuinely confused by this announcement.

Exactly how many maps are being added that can be played online? Or are they universal maps? Really unclear. Still, free DLC. Hopefully the proper skins for Leia come out too, as well as her cool pistol from Episode 4. I love that version of her. The golden bikini? ... Well i wouldnt say no to it. But itll never happen.

I am also really hoping that they nerf the jetpack and bowcaster, as well as aim assist. The "bowcaster slam dunk" is literally all i get killed by when I play Battlefront.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
MiskWisk said:
Ukomba said:

You say maps like there will be more than one. There will be Bespin, and multiple game modes on it.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
StewShearer said:
According to the announcement, the first round of updates will be free and launch tomorrow (1/27). The update will include:
Blast, Droid Run, Drop Zone, Hero Hunt and Heroes vs Villains support for the Tatooine Survival map (now called the "Raider Camp").
New Hoth outfits for Luke Skywalker and Han Solo.
Private matches.
New Daily Challenges and immunity events aimed at "giving players the chance to earn credits and unlocks" faster than normal.
Balance "tweaks" to "both weapons and multiplayer modes.
Can I just check I have this right? The first "DLC" will include:
Letting you play the game in a map you already have;
Letting you change how a couple of the characters you already have look;
Letting you play the game you already have;
Not having to play the game you already have quite as much;
Some minor changes to how the game you already have is balanced.

That's not DLC, it's a patch, and an extremely minor one at that.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
FoolKiller said:
Does anyone know if they're still on pace for their expected 13 million sales by the end of March?

No one wants less content for more money than they got a decade ago in Battlefront II.

The rest of my opinion is available by purchasing Expansion number 1, FoolKiller's Battlefront Opinion. It also the first of several opinions in 2016 avaiable in FoolKiller's Opinion Season Pass.
According to VG Chartz, they've cleared 9 million in physical sales. Given the prominence of the digital marketplace these days, it's not inconceivable that they actually are on-track for 13 million.

...hell, with 9.88 million units sold, they may have already met it once you factor in digital.

Oh, and this constitutes almost half of Battlefront sales, making it the best seller in the franchise. It seems that either people do want less content for more money, or Battlefront fans have been replaced and are irrelevant.