I Did Ask For This: The Walking Dead Miniatures Game is Real and Frightening

PatrickJS

Jun 8, 2015
I Did Ask For This: The Walking Dead Miniatures Game is Real and Frightening

Mantic Games' The Walking Dead: All Out War Miniatures Game takes the gritty graphic novel and brings it to your table in all its gory glory.

Fans of Robert Kirkman's graphic novel series The Walking Dead are in for a treat: the post-apocalyptic masterpiece is becoming a miniatures war game, putting the final fate of a band of survivors in your hands.

The game won't exactly be you versus the zombified hordes, however - that just wouldn't be "Walking Dead." No, in this game, you pit your ragged gang against another group of survivors. There's no room for diplomacy: you and your friend fight over the scarce resources left in the world, all the while trying not to alert the walkers to your presence.

Of course, the walkers will be alerted, no matter how hard you try - you just have to hope you can "alert" them to your opponent's side of the slaying field instead of yours.

The minis are looking excellent, and you can check them out below. I just have one thing to ask of the talented painters looking to pick this game up: you have to paint your figures in stark blacks and whites. Please.

[gallery=5565]

For their part, Mantic Games [http://www.manticgames.com/] is committed to getting the details right. Each walker figure, for example, is exhumed right from the pages of TWD, and long-time readers might recognize quite a few of them.

The Walking Dead: All Out War is shambling to Kickstarter on the first of February, and taking aim at retail later this year. Each "core set" of the game comes with seven survivors, including Carl "CARL [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqAe6A7s5iY]" Grimes and his dad, a dozen walkers, and all the dice, rulers, equipment, and reference cards needed for you and a friend to play. Well, maybe "play" isn't the right word...

Alright, Escapists, I'm curious - do we have a solid contingent of miniatures gamers here? Anyone willing to show off their fig-painting abilities to the unskilled rest of us?

Source: The Walking Dead [http://www.thewalkingdead.com/intro-tabletop-gaming-with-mantic/]

cleric of the order

Sep 13, 2010
I know a number of folks who are really angry about that.
They delayed shipping out our kickstarter stuff to work on these scupts

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
This game looks pretty neat. I've never played with miniatures of any kind but I'd be willing to give this a shot.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Good god, the way they painted Carl's face is just what the fuck.

Rick is at least tolerable but damn Carl looks like a grown-ass man experiencing the joys of hemorrhoids.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
I'd have thought the headline "I Did Ask For This" was about something Deus Ex related.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
Might be interested in this, but I'd like to see how the game plays out first. I'm not exactly the most talented painter though I have friends (and a wife) who would be absolutely down to add some color. Still have quite a few Zombicide pieces to get around to. I love that game, and the nature of it, where it's all cooperative survival. Curious to see how this works, I'm assuming it's a bit similar in a sense that zombies are just attracted to whoever's making the most noise, if nobody is controlling them per se.

But yeah what the hell is up with Carl man looks like he came down with a condition. And the figs look a bit too "thick" compared to the comic illustrations.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
scotth266 said:
Good god, the way they painted Carl's face is just what the fuck.

Rick is at least tolerable but damn Carl looks like a grown-ass man experiencing the joys of hemorrhoids.
It's because of one of the pitfalls of miniature painting; making the shading too deep, resulting in your miniature having a face like a 50 year old lighthouse keeper.