The Moon Causes Earth's Atmosphere to "Bulge", Influences Rainfall

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
The Moon Causes Earth's Atmosphere to "Bulge", Influences Rainfall

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/707/707620.jpgThe Moon's gravitational forces don't just influence Earth's tides, but the atmosphere and rainfall as well.

Science is well aware <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/moon>the Moon has a significant influence on Earth, specifically our ocean tides. But now a study claims the Moon's power goes beyond that, altering our atmosphere to the point that it reduces rainfall.

"As far as I know, this is the first study to convincingly connect the tidal force of the Moon with rainfall," doctoral student at the University of Washington Tsubasa Kohyama explained.

The study continues previous work of its authors, which detailed how the Moon influences our atmosphere. Whenever the Moon is overhead, its gravity creates a "bulge" in the atmosphere. This latest study suggests such bulges lead to an increase in air pressure, raising the temperature of air parcels below. These changes expand the parcels' moisture capacity, making precipitation less likely.

In short: The Moon existence leads to Earth having less rain.

Now before anyone suggests blowing up the Moon to solve California's water crisis, the change is remarkably small, impacting one percent of total rainfall variation. That said, the research can be applied to climate models to make sure the Moon's gravitational force is account for in our atmosphere. The full study itself can be found in the Geophysical Research Letters journal.

[gallery=5567]

Source: <a href=http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/science/phases-of-moon-affect-rainfall-on-earth-study/articleshow/50792959.cms>Economic Times

Morti

Aug 19, 2008
Fanghawk said:
...reducing the temperature of air parcels below...
That should be increasing the temperature.

That asside, this seems like one of those discoveries that seems kind of obvious in hindsight, but anything that could lead to more accurate climate/weather modules is great.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Someone fetch me that Austin Powers quote. You know the one.

OT: Ummm, we in Pittsburgh remain thoroughly moist, if I do say so myself. The moon has not done any more or less than it has ever done to the Earth. Its weight and rotation will not alter significantly enough to cause real disaster unless a REAL DISASTER happens already.

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Morti said:
Fanghawk said:
...reducing the temperature of air parcels below...
That should be increasing the temperature.

That asside, this seems like one of those discoveries that seems kind of obvious in hindsight, but anything that could lead to more accurate climate/weather modules is great.
Yup, "reducing" got in there somehow instead of "raising". Thanks!

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
So we should blow up California to help the moon make it rain elsewhere in the world? Yep, that's what I got out of this.

Jokes aside, ....the moon is EVIL!. Blowing it up would certainly help with the tidal erosion of the coastlines as well as stop the no-rain bulges in the atmosphere.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
That's no moon, that's a battle...oh, never mind.

This is pretty cool news, though. Not all that surprising, when you think about it.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
So the Moon gives the Earth a Bulge?

Moon, stop flirting with Earth and stop making her wet ffs! xD

Dirkie

Feb 3, 2009
It doesn't really surprise me at all actually, after all, the atmosphere has mass, so it has to react to some gravtational influences, it's just easier to see with water in large amounts.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
That seems like something that should have been really obvious before now. Oh well, learn something new every day I suppose.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
So nothing to do with global warming causing an increase in water evaporating and becoming clouds. It is the moon... Okay