Mark Hamill's Joker Returns In New Justice League Cartoon

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Mark Hamill's Joker Returns In New Justice League Cartoon

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1264/1264926.jpgKevin Conroy and Mark Hamill will reprise their roles as Batman and Joker for the Cartoon Network's Justice League Action.

We've seen <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/joker>many great Joker performances over the years, but few as memorable as Mark Hamill's. For over twenty years, his chilling laugh and dark sense of humor graced Batman: The Animated Series, Justice League, Arkham Asylum, and <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/142813-Joker-Animated-Film-The-Killing-Joke-Might-Get-R-Rating>might even be featured in The Killing Joke. Now Hamill and Batman alumn Kevin Conroy are reuniting for a new DC animated series: The Cartoon Network's Justice League Action.

Justice League Action follows Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, and a rotating cast of heroes who defend Earth from supervillains and alien invaders. As the title implies, action scenes are primary focus - each episode is only eleven minutes long, forcing the creative team to stick with tightly-paced adventures. Justice League Action will be the second ongoing DC Animated Series to debut on the Cartoon Network after Teen Titans Go!, but no launch date has been confirmed.

[gallery=5583]

Outside of Conroy and Hamill, several other DC Animation veterans will return to the series. For example, the press release confirms that James Woods is Lex Luthor, while Diedrich Bader will play Booster Gold. But for many fans, simply putting Conroy and Hamill together sells the entire project. As far as I'm concerned, this pair are the definitive Batman and Joker voice actors, and I can't wait to what they produce. At least <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100959-Mark-Hamills-Days-as-Arkham-Asylum-Joker-Numbered>until Mark Hamill retires again.

Source: GamesRadar

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
This is great news. Mark Hamill is the animated joker for a lot of people and it's great to see him play the character again.

As for the show I hope it either goes for the Justice League cartoon or Batman brave and the bold in terms of tone. Please don't let this be another teen Titans go.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
I don't care what it's about, this will be the greatest thing since the last time Kevin Conroy, and Mark Hamill were both on TV at the same time. The greatest Batman, and the greatest Joker have returned!

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I knew you couldn't stay away, Mr. Hamill. You got the Joker blood in you, and it will always call you back.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Well, it's not exactly bringing back Young Justice, but it'll suffice. But 11-minute episodes? That's what Teen Tians GO! is, and I hope it doesn't get that goofy.

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Darth_Payn said:
Well, it's not exactly bringing back Young Justice, but it'll suffice. But 11-minute episodes? That's what Teen Tians GO! is, and I hope it doesn't get that goofy.
It's also the formula Adult Swim used for most of its cartoons. It'll probably be a lean more towards kid-friendly than BTaS did, but length isn't an indicator of quality.

I mean, Bruce Timm did a complete Batman short film that was just under three minutes:

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Fanghawk said:
It's also the formula Adult Swim used for most of its cartoons. It'll probably be a lean more towards kid-friendly than BTaS did, but length isn't an indicator of quality.
Goodness me I hate that phrase, I was six when Batman: The Animated Series hit British shores and I adored it. That, Sonic Sat AM and Exo Squad. The ones that told actual stories with consequence are the ones that stick with you.

It seems to be one of those ironies that in trying to be 'kid friendly' shows usually end up boring and forgettable, most of all to the kids.

Misterian

Elite Member
Oct 3, 2009
Country
United States
Wow, as if going back to being Luke Skywalker isn't keeping Mark Hamil busy enough, now he's going back to being Joker?

He's almost like the Santa Claus of actors; always busy spreading joy in the entertainment industry.

What's next? he goes back to voicing StickyBeard in a KND sequel?

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
Misterian said:
Wow, as if going back to being Luke Skywalker isn't keeping Mark Hamil busy enough, now he's going back to being Joker?

He's almost like the Santa Claus of actors; always busy spreading joy in the entertainment industry.

What's next? he goes back to voicing StickyBeard in a KND sequel?
Do NOT give me false hope like that. That teaser for a KND sequel was bad enough.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
fix-the-spade said:
Fanghawk said:
Goodness me I hate that phrase, I was six when Batman: The Animated Series hit British shores and I adored it. That, Sonic Sat AM and Exo Squad. The ones that told actual stories with consequence are the ones that stick with you.

It seems to be one of those ironies that in trying to be 'kid friendly' shows usually end up boring and forgettable, most of all to the kids.
Back in the day, "kid friendly" was pretty much a death sentence on the series being anything with depth. There were a few stand outs. Sonic SatAM, Batman: TAS, and Gargoyles are all stand out "kid friendly" shows.

However, being kid friendly doesn't mean that as much today. The kid shows with substance are actually a large part of offerings these days. This is likely due to those shows that broke the mold. The kids that grew up with Batman went into the industry and tried to create something similar. In many cases they succeeded. They may have even surpassed those shows of yesteryear, in some cases.

bigfatcarp93

Mar 26, 2012
Saltyk said:
fix-the-spade said:
Fanghawk said:

Back in the day, "kid friendly" was pretty much a death sentence on the series being anything with depth. There were a few stand outs. Sonic SatAM, Batman: TAS, and Gargoyles are all stand out "kid friendly" shows.

However, being kid friendly doesn't mean that as much today. The kid shows with substance are actually a large part of offerings these days. This is likely due to those shows that broke the mold. The kids that grew up with Batman went into the industry and tried to create something similar. In many cases they succeeded. They may have even surpassed those shows of yesteryear, in some cases.
Agreed. Looking at what is considered "kid's entertainment" these days gives me a lot of hope for the future of television.

OT: Looking forward to this. So, the focus is solely on the Trinity? I actually dig that. Especially because it will give Wondy more of a chance to shine. Having Hamill back is always a treat, and I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with some of the other villains, too. Mongul as Big Bad plz.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
What happened to the whole "this is the last time I voice Joker" thing? Not that I'm complaining.

WarpedMind

Nov 8, 2014
Oh please please please be good.
I have to say I'm a bit disappointed that they didn't get Clancy Brown for Lex Luthor, his performance is every bit as definitive to the character of Lex as Mark Hamill's performance is to the character of The Joker, at least in my opinion.
Who's directing/producing for this show anyway? Timm?

MiskWisk

Mar 17, 2012
Fanghawk said:
Darth_Payn said:
snip
Oh man, that reminds me of this:

Pure fanservice, but in a good way.

OT: Anyway, my hopes and internal hype have reached the point where I'm currently having a nostalgia-boner. Probably won't be as good as we're hoping but it's certainly looking to be a lot better than what we've got at the moment for DC offerings.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Johnny Novgorod said:
What happened to the whole "this is the last time I voice Joker" thing? Not that I'm complaining.
A paycheck is a paycheck, one shouldn't be too picky...not even famous celebrities. :p

WolvDragon said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Nor me, but he's been doing this since Arkham City which I thought it would be a nice send off to him being as the Joker because

Joker pretty much dies at the end, and Mark said he wouldn't return to the role after that.
But no he came back for Arkham Knight when no said anything about it, but now this and the Killing Joke. I'm guessing he had a change of heart?

But yeah I'm not complaining either, Mark is the definite voice of Joker to me, I'm glad he's staying on.
You might wanna fix the spoiler box in your post...it seems to be broken. :p

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Johnny Novgorod said:
Same. I suppose the only time we will see Mark stop voicing Joker competely is when he passed away.

Nov 28, 2007
Johnny Novgorod said:
Apparently, Mark Hamill clarified his comments later, saying that he just meant that it would be hard to top Arkham City.

Source [http://www.comicbookmovie.com/batman/mark-hamill-not-retiring-as-the-joker-after-batman-arkham-city-after-all-a39606]

crimsonspear4D

Sep 26, 2009
In my opinon, just as there can be only one voice for Optimus Prime, there can be only one voice for Joker and Batman. There is just no comparison to the quality of depth and majesty they bring to the characters by their voices alone.