Thousands of Games on Sale For Steam Lunar Sale

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Thousands of Games on Sale For Steam Lunar Sale

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1273/1273211.png
This year Steam is celebrating the Year of the Monkey by having one of its signature sales.

If you thought your wallet was safe since we're still a ways out from the Steam Summer and Winter sales, think again! Steam has decided to have a major sale anyway [http://store.steampowered.com/], coinciding with the Lunar New Year. Thousands of games are on sale for deep discounts from now until February 12, 10:00 AM PST.

Among the most noteable deals include the recentely released Tomb Raider [http://store.steampowered.com/sale/fallout/] for 75% off.

There's also a cute little short story [http://store.steampowered.com/] on the Steam homepage, which follows our little friend, the Monkey, as he journeys to discover new games, asking players to make choices for him along the way. For example, the first choice is "Swim" or "Drive", with "Swim" presenting a list of ocean-themed games on sale, and "Drive" giving driving simulators.

There does not seem to be any exclusive Steam cards this time around.

Source: Valve [http://store.steampowered.com/]

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Actually, and I hate to be that guy, but the Steam Sale is actually in honor of my birthday (February fifth). Now, I've already given myself a pretty nice Steam-bath but since my birthday is such a momentous occasion, the sale will continue on for a week.

Seriously though, great sale. I love how my birthday tends to happen in time for Steam sales to happen!

Nov 28, 2007
Shoggoth2588 said:
Actually, and I hate to be that guy, but the Steam Sale is actually in honor of my birthday (February fifth). Now, I've already given myself a pretty nice Steam-bath but since my birthday is such a momentous occasion, the sale will continue on for a week.

Seriously though, great sale. I love how my birthday tends to happen in time for Steam sales to happen!
It's not in honor of your birthday. It's in honor of mine! Get it straight.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
I'm glad to see they came up with something more engaging than what they tried during the christmas sale. It's like going through the recommended queue but now with context.

Too bad payday isn't until next week, otherwise I'd get some stuff I missed out on during the winter sale. :/

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
thebobmaster said:
Shoggoth2588 said:

It's not in honor of your birthday. It's in honor of mine! Get it straight.
It's actually in honor of my country's national poet, J. L. Runeberg.
flying_whimsy said:
Too bad payday isn't until next week, otherwise I'd get some stuff I missed out on during the winter sale. :/
Some people save a buffer for a rainy day or their car breaking down, others do it for Steam sales. How dare you NOT be ready? Do you not realize where we are!? Now they will NEVER release Half-Life 3!

Bindal

May 14, 2012
The only thing that bugs me is that during that "story", it lists games as suggestion that aren't actually on sale.

zidine100

Mar 19, 2009
Jezz is there a steam sale every other week now? I remember when I was actually exited by them, instead of oh its this again.

Nov 28, 2007
Forgot to say, I haven't gotten anything yet. I might with my next paycheck, but this was my first one, and over 3/4ths of it went towards renewing my pharmacy tech license, which I found to be rather more important. :p

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
Managed to get the first "episode" of the Van Helsing ARPG, which allowed me to get the Final Cut for free.
I also got Defense Grid, one of the top-rated/reviewed Tower Defense games.
Then my money ran out. Til' Monday!

NPC009

Don't mind me, I'm just a NPC
Aug 23, 2010
I try limit my spending to the two 'big ones' (the summer and winter sales), but I'll probably buy a few games. I can't help it...

The art for this sale is really cute, by the way. Most appealing thing about the whole sale, if you ask me.

Raidenko

Aug 25, 2010
Argh, I just bought stuff a few weeks back and now the Witcher trilogy is on sale...Welp better wait for that paycheck in a few days.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I've been sleuthing through this sale and there really isn't anything that good going on. Pretty lame price drops across the board, which is really not that enticing since we're basically still off the heels of the holiday sale.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
It's about fucking time they held a steam sale in my honor. (knows its not it in my honor, don't care)

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
JUST in time for folks to get back taxes if they jumped on them as soon as possible. DAMMIT STEAM YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARDS!

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
Jezz is there a steam sale every other week now? I remember when I was actually exited by them, instead of oh its this again.
I suspect that the vacums they use to empty peoples wallets during the Christmas Sales weren't working quite right, so they've gone away tweaked them and are giving it another try. Seriously though this screams desperation I am betting that Christmas Sale numbers were pretty poor because Lunar New Year Sale? Seriously Valve get a fucking grip.

The reality is setting in Steam is no longer the go to Distro service and their sales have become predictable, boring and tedious with sale prices that can be found on many other sites all year round.