8 Tabletop Games Inspired by Video Games

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
8 Tabletop Games Inspired by Video Games

8 tabletop games inspired by video games.

Read Full Article

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
XCOM The Boardgame confirmed for being totally awesome, which is the only one from that list I actually played. The app you need with it is actually quite well integrated and doesn't feel slapped on just to make it seem modern and hip. So that's a plus. It's really high-octane for a boardgame and goodness me I definitely can't play more than one game on an evening, but it's a ton of fun once when you finally get the mechanics down. Useful tip; don't skip a practice round with this one. Hell, a tutorial round is even included, so don't skip that one.

I know someone from my boardgame group has the The Witcher game though so maybe I'll play that in the future some time. It looked pretty cool. The World of Warcraft game I've heard middling things about, because apparently turns can take quite a bit and during that time the other player is sort of twiddling their thumbs.

laserwulf

Dec 30, 2007
UFS, seconded. Through some dark magic, that CCG line covered:
-Street Fighter
-Darkstalkers
-Soul Calibur
-Tekken
-Mega Man
-King of Fighters
-Samurai Showdown
-the webcomic Penny Arcade
-Warhammer Online
And... it was a fun card game, to boot. A bit more mechanically complex than Magic, but once you got comfortable with it, the game really felt like a 1-on-1 fight. You could perform combos & other standard fighting game tactics, characters' mechanics led them to function like you'd expect (Nightmare & Siegfried were slow, but packed a wallop), and there was an element of reading your opponent (the decks didn't play themselves). When (presumably) the licencing ran out, the creators even kept the game alive for a while with original characters.

There was also another competing fighting CCG, Epic Battles, that covered Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, and Tekken. That one was a bit easier to learn, but it came & went with little fanfare. On Oahu in 2006, the only place I could find that stocked EB was Blockbuster Video! I eventually knew where every Blockbuster was on the whole island.