MacGyver to Be Rebooted as Television Show, Then Movie

JaredJones

Jun 8, 2015
MacGyver to Be Rebooted as Television Show, Then Movie

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1274/1274165.png

The mullet stays or we riot.

Everyone grab a piece of bubblegum, two toothpicks, and your trusty swiss army knife, because MacGyver is jury-rigging his way back to television.

Deadline [http://deadline.com/2016/02/macgyver-reboot-dr-phil-drama-bull-cbs-pilot-1201695415/] passes along the word that the cult series, which enjoyed a seven season run between 1985 and 1992 and spawned a pair of TV movie sequels in 1994, will be receiving the ever-popular prequel reboot treatment on CBS. Fast and Furious 7 and Saw director James Wan will helm the project, which is being described as a "reimagining" of MacGyver, with original EP Henry Winkler and writer Paul Downs Colaizzo attached as well.

FYI, "reimagining" stands for "prequel," in this case.

The new series features a 10-years younger protagonist. Twentysomething Angus MacGyver gets recruited into the clandestine organization from the original series where he uses his knack for solving problems in unconventional ways to help prevent disasters from happening. The series is expected to chronicle how MacGyver acquired some of his famous skill sets.

And not only that, but CBS will then be teaming up with Lionsgate to produce a MacGyver movie. According to Variety [http://variety.com/2016/film/news/macgyver-movie-reboot-lionsgate-1201698239/], the movie will be produced by series creator Lee David Zlotoff and Neal Moritz, producer of The Fast and the Furious franchise.

Who will be stepping into Richard Dean Anderson's big and probably booby-trapped shoes? Is a mullet Renaissance finally upon us? Will MacGruber somehow be involved in all this? Not much has been revealed as of yet, but we'll let you know as the details are made available.

Source: Deadline [http://deadline.com/2016/02/macgyver-reboot-dr-phil-drama-bull-cbs-pilot-1201695415/]

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
This is either going to be amazing or seriously boring.
Still, if they allow some CSI levels of Bullshit-ery, this could be an interesting idea, even if it's just another victim of the Reboot craze.
And it's nice to know I'm not the only one who saw MacGruber Jared :p

JaredJones

Jun 8, 2015
Diablo1099 said:
Still, if they allow some CSI levels of Bullshit-ery, this could be an interesting idea, even if it's just another victim of the Reboot craze.
Oh I saw it alright, and would argue that the MacGruber movie was better than anything MacGyver ever did.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
JaredJones said:
Diablo1099 said:
Oh I saw it alright, and would argue that the MacGruber movie was better than anything MacGyver ever did.
The "Realistic" Sex Scenes still burn a hole in my mind to this day :'D

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
A new MacGyver series, and the Mythbusters just quit after years of proving Mac wrong. I think this new show is going to get a bit cocky with no one to keep them in check.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Oh come on, Mr. Fix-it Mullet gets a reboot or whatever, but no Airwolf?

American Fox

Le Best Tank
Aug 14, 2012

Sol_HSA

was gaming before you were born
Nov 25, 2008
A new Macgyver would work fine.. as long as the mythbusters team was behind the scenes.

ninja51

Mar 28, 2010
Ehhhhhh... Anything that gets a movie and a TV deal at the same time doesn't speak of anything but desperate marketing to me. This entire project reeks of it. I don't think anything deserves a movie when the TV show hasn't proven itself, and vice versa. I won't be seeing either with how greedy their plans are. I'm thinking of Mighty Number 9 while writing this, you don't get to decide that people will love your shit and "need" to see more before that shits even out, that's just crazy.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
I am not sure how I feel about this. Part of me wants to be excited, because I loved MacGuyver, but part of me is scared they will 'ruin' it.

If this works, what else should come back 're-imagined' or what have you? My vote is for the Pretender.