See The Warcraft Movie, Get the Game and All Expansions - Maybe

John Keefer

Devilish Rogue
Aug 12, 2013
See The Warcraft Movie, Get the Game and All Expansions - Maybe

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1276/1276105.jpg

A thread on Reddit has revealed that Blizzard is considering giving away World of Warcraft and all the expansions to anyone who goes to see the Warcraft movie in June.

You should always be skeptical of emails coming to you supposedly from game companies asking for things from you - especially ones that have a typographical error in them. But apparently, the possibility of a World of Warcraft Ultimate Movie Edition is real, despite the typo.

A Reddit user the upcoming Warcraft movie [https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/44344q/just_got_a_survey_from_blizzard_this_is_a_great/] when it is released on June 10. All you have to do is answer a couple of feedback questions. The package would include:

World of Warcraft
The Burning Crusade
Wrath of the Litch King
Cataclysm
Mists of Pandaria
Warlords of Draenor
One month of free game time
An exclusive in-game item

Here's the catch: Wrath of the Litch King. Yes, I spelled it exactly the way it was in the email. How could Blizzard make a silly mistake like that on one of it's core expansions? It has to be a phishing scam, right? Apparently not. Blizzard Customer Support member Araxom showed up in the Reddit thread to confirm that the email was indeed legit, and that the typo had been fixed for future mailings.

We've reached out to Blizzard to see if we can get some more details, such as what the in-game item might be (mount or pet?) and when we would know for certain if this was actually going to happen. We'll update if we hear back from them.

Personally, it seems like a great idea. With WoW's dwindling subscriber base, it seems like a great way to bring some people back and maybe even get a few new users prior to the launch of later this year [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/141902-World-of-Warcraft-Legion-Expansion-Revealed-By-Blizzard-Entertainment]. And I could always use another pet for my collection.

Source: Warcraft Reddit [https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/44344q/just_got_a_survey_from_blizzard_this_is_a_great/]

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
John Keefer said:
You should always (be) skeptical of emails coming to you supposedly from game companies asking for things from you - especially ones that have a typographical error in them. But apparently, the possibility of a World of Warcraft Ultimate Movie Edition is real, despite the typo.
You mean kinda like the suspicious lack of the word "be" in the above paragraph? :p

OT: "To thank you for coming to see our first major motion picture release, we'd like to give you a potential addiction! The first taste is free, after that you pay far out the ass to play in our magical world of elves and trolls!"

Gee, thanks Blizzard. Can't say I'm very keen on receiving a commitment bordering on a 2nd job as a thank you gift. >.>

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
SirSullymore said:
Shouldn't they give away the first game as that's what the movie is loosely based on?
Holy Sargeras no! If they remade it and released it as a special bonus for moviegoers, I'd say yeah... but its kind of a mess and not something that would interest people. I mean yeah there are people who'd be happy to get a retro copy, but the game itself has not held up well and would be a kind of let down. Plus its marketing, they want more people to feed the mmo machine, WC1 would probably turn newbies off and wouldn't bring in the older players who've quit.

John Keefer

Devilish Rogue
Aug 12, 2013
RJ 17 said:
John Keefer said:
You should always (be) skeptical of emails coming to you supposedly from game companies asking for things from you - especially ones that have a typographical error in them. But apparently, the possibility of a World of Warcraft Ultimate Movie Edition is real, despite the typo.
You mean kinda like the suspicious lack of the word "be" in the above paragraph? :p
uh ... yeah ... exactly like that. The typo has been fixed in all future versions of this story. And can I get you account name and password? ;)

SirSullymore

Mar 26, 2009
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
SirSullymore said:
Shouldn't they give away the first game as that's what the movie is loosely based on?
Holy Sargeras no! If they remade it and released it as a special bonus for moviegoers, I'd say yeah... but its kind of a mess and not something that would interest people. I mean yeah there are people who'd be happy to get a retro copy, but the game itself has not held up well and would be a kind of let down. Plus its marketing, they want more people to feed the mmo machine, WC1 would probably turn newbies off and wouldn't bring in the older players who've quit.
Fair enough, I just want Blizzard to make more Warcraft RTS's.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
SirSullymore said:
Not to mention that back then Blizzard's way of balancing was simply to have both factions have identical stats for each equivalent unit. Literally the only difference between factions back then were what spells the casters used.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
SirSullymore said:
SirSullymore said:
Fair enough, I just want Blizzard to make more Warcraft RTS's.
I'd love to see a Warcraft Trilogy Revamp, so they can clean up the lore a bit, modernize the games (but keep it more like WC3 with updated graphics engine and such). And of course another WC RTS. It'd be nice.

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
If this real they are desperate. They're still pushing Warlords alone for at least double the price of a ticket.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
RJ 17 said:
SirSullymore said:
Not to mention that back then Blizzard's way of balancing was simply to have both factions have identical stats for each equivalent unit. Literally the only difference between factions back then were what spells the casters used.
Wich made the Alliance so much more powerfull since they would get the healing spells and the Orcs would get a bunch of useless crap like a mine spell, a bloodlust spell that damaged your own units and in warcraft 2 you could summon useless skeletons that had decaying HP if you actually bothered to micromanage death knights.

But hey... back then it was still an awesome game... just gaming itselfe has come a long way since then.

As for this promotion... if its true its simply genius... not only do they get people to try out WoW when they havent (since you need a new account aparantly) they dont actually give out this years expansion. Since they dont make money of off old expansions anyways its a win win situation for them to do this.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Karadalis said:
RJ 17 said:
SirSullymore said:
Wich made the Alliance so much more powerfull since they would get the healing spells and the Orcs would get a bunch of useless crap like a mine spell, a bloodlust spell that damaged your own units and in warcraft 2 you could summon useless skeletons that had decaying HP if you actually bothered to micromanage death knights.
Yeah, the only thing that The Horde had going for them were Tornado and Death and Decay...and Tornadoes were just as likely to blow back and kill your own units as they were to go where you actually wanted them to.

Death and Decay was nice...it's just too bad Paladins get Exorcism which one-shots Death Knights. :p

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Their subs must be writhing in the gutter right now if they're willing to do something like this. Damn.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Yeah that seen rather desperate from their part. Normally it would be go see it and get an exclusive ingame item in WOW or some crap like that?

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
SirSullymore said:
SHHHHHHH. Don't ruin it for the rest of us.

Dimitriov

The end is nigh.
May 24, 2010
RJ 17 said:
Karadalis said:
RJ 17 said:
SirSullymore said:
Yeah, the only thing that The Horde had going for them were Tornado and Death and Decay...and Tornadoes were just as likely to blow back and kill your own units as they were to go where you actually wanted them to.

Death and Decay was nice...it's just too bad Paladins get Exorcism which one-shots Death Knights. :p
Forget that, it was mages' polymorph that was the real fucker. It was an effective instant kill that turned your unit into a critter.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Dimitriov said:
RJ 17 said:
Karadalis said:
RJ 17 said:
SirSullymore said:

Forget that, it was mages' polymorph that was the real fucker. It was an effective instant kill that turned your unit into a critter.
And as I recall it was a permanent "debuff" and back then there was no dispel ability to get your unit back.

That's the problem with trying to just say "all units are the exact same except for casters!" This "balance" inherently creates an imbalance because it just becomes a question of "Ok, which faction's are the most OP?"

Buckets

May 1, 2014
Blizzard emails always had the official header and certainly never had spelling mistakes. Account Hijacking usually used the 'free mount' tactic. I am sure if such a thing existed it would be highly publicised on their official site anyway.

Nilanius

Apr 6, 2009
Heh honestly seeing this, what I am really seeing is:

Our game is dying! We need to keep this cash cow going somehow. But everyone is hating the game now. Lets try bribing customers back? Yeah that has bound to work. I mean... EA tricks their customers back to them constantly.

sonicneedslovetoo

Jul 6, 2015
Now the real clever thing about this is they're still charging for their next expansion, you know the one with the demon hunters, so pretty much all they are giving you is "world of farmville"(garrisons) except you have to pay a subscription to play it. I honestly can't think of a worse way to introduce people who might not play Wow to your brand as Draenor had a fantastic start but an absolutely ABYSMAL endgame.

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
Nilanius said:
Heh honestly seeing this, what I am really seeing is:

Our game is dying! We need to keep this cash cow going somehow. But everyone is hating the game now. Lets try bribing customers back? Yeah that has bound to work. I mean... EA tricks their customers back to them constantly.
How long have people been saying that the game is dying? 3 years? 4 years? Since BC?
I guess it is dying, just like each and every one of us is slowly creeping towards death. I actually resubbed and played WoD for a whole 4 weeks before quitting again. I suspect that WoW will last many more years before they close it down. I wouldn't be surprised if it was going well past 2020.