Can Your Computer Run SteamVR? Find Out With Portal-Themed Testing

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Can Your Computer Run SteamVR? Find Out With Portal-Themed Testing

The Enrichment Center reminds you that SteamVR testers below 90fps will be baked, and then there will be cake.

With the news that <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/166526-800-Price-Tag-for-HTC-Vive>Valve and HTC's Vive VR headset will cost $800, you might assume cost is the biggest barrier to virtual reality. The truth is you'll also need a solid gaming PC, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/columns/experienced-points/11250-Why-the-Oculus-Rift-is-a-Big-Deal>one capable of rendering two high-resolution displays at 90 FPS simultaneously. Thankfully, there's an easy way to tell if your computer's up to speed: Downloading the Portal-themed SteamVR Performance Test.

After downloading the Performance Test via the Steam client, it runs a two-minute demo of an Aperture Science robot undergoing repairs. After collecting data on how much of the data ran at 90 FPS or higher, it generates a report of whether your system is ready for SteamVR. If your system fails the test, it summarizes whether your CPU, video card, or both need to be upgraded for SteamVR to work.

Sadly, since PCs running Steam historically are a touch behind the technology curve, most systems will probably fail and be consigned to Android Hell. Oh well. Continue testing.

[gallery=5821]

Source: <a href=http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-02-22-valve-releases-portal-themed-steamvr-performance-test>Eurogamer

insanelich

Reportable Offender
Sep 3, 2008
You might assume cost is the biggest barrier to virtual reality... and you'd be entirely right?

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Decided to run it, apparently my CPU and GPU are fine for VR, scoring in the green (high) range. At least according to Valve I can run just fine, were I to want to pay $800 for niche technology...

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
And nowhere in this article explains how to download it....Software>Utilities.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
This is really a luxury item, more then your typical console or even just owning a high end PC. Its a twofold investment and I doubt there is going to be high demand for it. Because of it, there probably won't be a lot of games developed. Even now I'd need to invest in a new graphics card just to be "ready". I've got a pair of 770s and it's not good enough. So I don't see myself putting in 1000 dollars into VR. 1000 bucks could get me on my way to building almost a whole new PC.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Not even a question. The real question is even if you have a PC that can run it, is it worth the cost of entry?

Meximagician

Elite Member
Apr 5, 2014
Country
United States
I've got such a clunker of a PC, I think Steam would just laugh at me rather than allow a download of the test. Still, something I did do with the test footage, which I always like doing with stereoscopic video:

1 - download the video off of YouTube (after watching the content supporting ads!)
2 - play the video in a legacy version of VLC player (ver 2.0.0)
3 - select Tools > Effects and Filters
4 - go to the Video Effects tab, then the Geometry tab
5 - check 'Puzzle game', with two rows and columns, and 'Blank slot' unchecked
6 - manipulate the puzzle so that the left side of the video is on the right and vice versa
7 - cross my eyes and wonder why anyone who doesn't suffer motion sickness would pay hundreds of dollars for this

So far the only reason I can come up with is that the aspect ratio goes a bid odd using this trick. But unless 3D TVs drop in price soon, buying two same-sized TVs and placing them next to each offers more features and is about the same price.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I really wish I could watch 3D and use VR. But I am one of the many people who become physically ill from the experience. It doesn't really bother me in this instance since I'd never spend over $1000 (Australian) on something with such limited potential.

Sol_HSA

was gaming before you were born
Nov 25, 2008
Didn't expect it to be. It isn't. What surprised me is that my 6 year old core i7 is apparently still "good enough". Graphics card less so.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
I got to play around with the Vive VR a few weeks ago, it's really amazing technology and much better than Oculus IMO[footnote]With Oculus you use a controller, Vive gives you a play area and hand sensors for more natural movement, less chance of getting sick[/footnote], but there's no way I'll be personally investing in VR anytime soon, it's just too high a price of entry for me.

It will be a shame if many others feel the same way and the tech dies in the water, but the game dev who let me play with it doesn't believe a lack of early adoption will kill it, too many big companies throwing in too much money[footnote]Sony, Valve, Facebook, Samsung to name a few[/footnote].

Though it's kind of amusing one of the companies not investing in VR seems to be Nintendo. For as much as they love gimmicks, Virtual Boy isn't due for a comeback.

Strelok

Dec 22, 2012
Looks like I am ready...

But am I ready to drop $800 or more on it... We'll see what looks good when the time comes.