Naughty Dog Apologizes For Stolen Artwork in Uncharted 4 Trailer

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1288/1288223.jpg

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
"In our eagerness to get the story trailer out we made a regrettable mistake and didn't thoroughly vet the art work used for an in game painting,"
I don't understand.
How does the concept art for another game end up in your game, are they using Google image search for all their texturing needs?

This is the second time they've run into art issues (See The Last of Us, subway map incident), I know it's an easy mistake to make but maybe Naughty Dog should start using or making an image library or something so this doesn't keep happening.

I hope Ubisoft has a sense of humor about it and we can get some kind of Assasin's Creed easter egg in the game.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
C'mon... they MUST have known it was concept art from AC4 because they cropped out the pirate in the image. Best case scenario was that someone working on the game got really fucking lazy and decided just to take art from somewhere else instead of making their own.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Naughty Naughty dog. Or...bad Naughty Dog? Ok, sorry, it was just bouncing on the end of the tongue and if i do not fulfill these simple urges, people start to go mysteriously missing overnight in my local area. Totally not original.

Sep 14, 2009
this just seems really...odd to do. out of all the pictures in the world that you could have fair use on, you use this. Just grab a picture of george washington or some shit and post it on there, no one is going to jizz over/insta-hate the game based on some random fucking background art.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Looks like something that got put in as a temp asset during the initial scene build then forgotten about. They definitely need to track their asset use better.

NiPah

May 8, 2009
Would have been a cool little nod to AC if they'd worked it out before hand, shame this is just a screw up.

Chaosian

Mar 26, 2011
Fucking nice.
Why is this so common at Naughty Dog? Anyone else remember the subway map from the Last of Us?

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Pffft. And this is why I was worried about Crash coming back. ND is not the same team it was when they made Jak. Both founders left, one destroyed THQ and was a mostly useless asset while the other built the GOAL game engine and then settled down to pursue personal interests, basically carried ND in the early days.
Now I don't know who they are.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Its good that he owned up to the mistake and everything.. but I don't think this is their first offense.
Chaosian said:
Fucking nice.
Why is this so common at Naughty Dog? Anyone else remember the subway map from the Last of Us?
Yes.
Gethsemani said:
Chaosian said:
Fucking nice.
What about the subway map?
Incase you haven't googled it already...
http://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/blog/2013/06/25/mbta-map-last-of-us-transit-map/

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Eclipse Dragon said:
I don't understand.
How does the concept art for another game end up in your game, are they using Google image search for all their texturing needs?
Yes.

Seriously, the in game assets and textures will be painstakingly sweated over, but when the trailer guys come out and go 'we need a picture of a beach for a background painting' some poor sap will have to find them a picture of a beach to paint over pronto. You'd think companies like this would have accounts with multiple stock image companies, but in my experience they never do.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I'm sure they're missing Nate Wells right about now.

Anyway, seems more like an honest mistake, than them intentionally trying to rip off artwork. There's so many art assets in games like this it's not unusual for one or two to slip through the cracks. Just really unfortunate that this one happend to be prominently featured in the game.