"MissingNo" Remains in 3DS Release of Pokemon Red/Blue

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
"MissingNo" Remains in 3DS Release of Pokemon Red/Blue

One of video game's most infamous glitches has been faithfully recreated for the virtual console re-release of Pokemon Red and Blue.

MissingNo. Giver of rare candies. Destroyer of saves. This glitch Pokemon from the original Red and Blue games is one of the most infamous in history. By following a very specific set of commands, one could encounter this Pokemon, who would duplicate an item in your inventory. For those who flew too close to the sun and actually attempted to catch the glitched monster, it would mess up the game pretty bad, and in a worst-case scenario, obliterate your save. Purists of the series will be happy to know that the glitch has been recreated in full for Red and Blue's virtual console re-release [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/161418-Pokemon-Red-Blue-and-Yellow-3DS-eShop-Re-release].

YouTuber Epi Demie [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcKQcAffX8o], who snagged an early copy of the game, was able to replicate the glitch by following the exact same steps from the original game.

Meanwhile, another YouTuber [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0vgrXZIo6g], NZCapeKiwi, has confirmed that the "Mew" glitch, that allowed players to catch the infamously "unobtainable" 151st Pokemon, is still present, at least in the Yellow version of the game.

[gallery=5851]

It's great that these glitches have been preserved. They are, after all, an important part of gaming history.

The Pokemon Red, Blue and Yellow re-releases launch tomorrow, on February 27, in the Nintendo eShop for $9.99 each.

Source: YouTube [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcKQcAffX8o]

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Okay, maybe I'm missing something, but wouldn't they be preserved? Like, I thought they pretty much kept the games as-is, including some pretty harmful ones, unless absolutely necessary. Like, I get they changed the way trading works, and even that surprised me a little, but you can break prior VC releases, can't you? I could swear that this was the case.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Great, now I can teach my glitched out Kangaskhan Fly. FEAR ME!

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
So...if I could trade with myself I could rare candy all my Pokemon to level 100 quickly and then trade them to PKMN Moon?

Huh.

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
Damn. Makes me wish I'd kept my 3DS now. I've lost my Pokemon Blue and I even had a Mew.

Dead Metal

Feb 7, 2010
I caught 3 of them, never had one of the problems people keep describing. The only weird thing was that it allowed me to catch Pokemon with ridiculous levels.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Something Amyss said:
Okay, maybe I'm missing something, but wouldn't they be preserved? Like, I thought they pretty much kept the games as-is, including some pretty harmful ones, unless absolutely necessary. Like, I get they changed the way trading works, and even that surprised me a little, but you can break prior VC releases, can't you? I could swear that this was the case.
This in its entirety. They did trading apparently which is a miracle but otherwise, you don't want to be fiddling with code where it isn't needed. It's the exact same game so it wasn't recreated.

Steven Bogos said:
Meanwhile, another YouTuber [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0vgrXZIo6g], NZCapeKiwi, has confirmed that the "Mew" glitch, that allowed players to catch the infamously "unobtainable" 151st Pokemon, is still present, at least in the Yellow version of the game.
Wasn't it only ever available in Yellow only?

Otherwise, I'm happy Nintendo knows when to not fix something that isn't broken in a bad way.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
So...the madness begins anew. Not even the internet can save us now.

The_Darkness

Nov 8, 2010
Ah, the Mew glitch. The curiously specific set of inputs (up to and including flying away just as a trainer sees you, and deliberately avoiding one specific other trainer battle early in the game just to fight them later) that enables Mew to show up in your game.

I know that it's a glitch, I know that it's really just taking advantage of how the code stores memory in order to manipulate wild pokemon attacks... but it almost felt like a Mew-summoning ritual built into the game... :)

DocImpossible452

Feb 19, 2014
Something Amyss said:
RIGHT!?
Came to say the same thing, my understanding is that all they did was write a special emulator that routes link cable data through the wireless and keeps pretty much everything else the same, including how much memory is allocated and how values are assigned and called.

No reason to reinvent the wheel.

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
LegendaryGamer0 said:
Wasn't it only ever available in Yellow only?

Otherwise, I'm happy Nintendo knows when to not fix something that isn't broken in a bad way.
Nope, still have it in my Red version.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Were we somehow expecting them to devote development resources to undo this glitch? I mean, this glitch actually increased sales and made the game one of the stand-out titles. Even now you've got us talking about this game in particular because of that glitch.

Hell, I didn't even play pokemon back in the day and I knew about this one thing. That's a damn fine marketing tool.

Jorpho

Nov 6, 2008
Something Amyss said:
Like, I get they changed the way trading works, and even that surprised me a little, but you can break prior VC releases, can't you? I could swear that this was the case.
For reasons that were never at all clear, the VC release of Kid Icarus lost the use of certain passwords (like ICARUS FIGHTS MEDUSA ANGELS), and I think something similar happened to Metroid.

So, it wouldn't be entirely unheard-of if they tried to fix Missingno. But if they were to start trying to fix bugs in the game, it's hard to say where they would stop. It had more than its share of subtle defects, I understand.

As for me, I actually have two old Game Boys and two old copies of Yellow sitting around (and a copy of Silver for good measure). I don't need no remakes. :D

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
Ukomba said:
So, what would happen if you uploaded missingno to Sun or Moon?
Missingno would corrupt the sun itself and bathe the world in the horrific lights of the netherverse from whence all things are born, twisting the minds and bodies of the inhabitants until they too become Missingno and the cycle continues on the next, doomed world.

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
I love all these Pokemon glitches, and I don't know why. I guess there's just something about all these old style glitches that involve a bizarre set of actions that result in the game reading from the wrong memory address, or the right memory address with the wrong value in it, or some variation of that. The weird things that can be done with it are really fascinating.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Something Amyss said:
Given the compatibility with Pokemon Bank (more specifically, only to Gen 7 games), there was speculation that Nintendo would have, at the very least, paved that tarmac flat in a ten mile radius to prevent the horrible, horrible repercussions of letting that messed up chimera break free from its 20 year prison, but now it seems like they're leaning heavily on their authentication system to prevent that from happening

which may backfire on them when they find out that Pokemon Yellow's code can be rewritten with normal inputs

Tanis said:
So...if I could trade with myself I could rare candy all my Pokemon to level 100 quickly and then trade them to PKMN Moon?

Huh.
wouldn't really be that helpful because you'd still have to input EVs and also have the badges to handle traded pokemon of that level

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
Oh. I guess this means focus energy is still completely useless, huh?

Really, those games are held together with spit and twigs, it wouldn't hurt to fix the odd bug, considering the fact that they're using the game to sell 3DS units in bundles.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
weirdee said:
Given the compatibility with Pokemon Bank (more specifically, only to Gen 7 games), there was speculation that Nintendo would have, at the very least, paved that tarmac flat in a ten mile radius to prevent the horrible, horrible repercussions of letting that messed up chimera break free from its 20 year prison, but now it seems like they're leaning heavily on their authentication system to prevent that from happening

which may backfire on them when they find out that Pokemon Yellow's code can be rewritten with normal inputs
I can see why there'd be speculation, but I couldn't honestly see it happening. It seems like they'd have to redesign a lot for the purpose of an eshop releas, and that seems to go against their current principle of "it prints money!"

Don't get me wrong, I am still a total pokebitch and will shell out for it, but...I expect minimal effort.