5 Other Movies That Should Have Won DiCaprio an Oscar

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
5 Other Movies That Should Have Won DiCaprio an Oscar

This past Sunday, Leonardo DiCaprio was awarded his first Academy Award, shattering the dreams of meme creators everywhere. Today, we'll take a look at five performances for which he should have been awarded an Oscar.

Read Full Article

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
A meme has died. Press "e" to pay respects.

I think in the case of Django, he should have been nominated for best supporting at the very least while Waltz should have been nominated for best actor. His role was hardly supporting. I'm pretty sure he had more dialogue than any other character.

While I liked Leo in the Departed (it's one of my favourite movies), I think that if anyone were to get an acting nod for that movie, it should have been Nicholson.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Blood Diamond? Really?

I couldn't stand him in that. His accent was annoyingly fake, along with all the dialogue with the romance which felt flat and forced. Djimon Hounsou deserved everything from that movie.

It's a shame Leonardo's performance in The Beach is not brought up more. I thought he perfectly fitted into that role.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
I like him, I know his performance is going to be solid...
But my problem is the movie he actually won it for.
Plot spoilers, not that there's any twists but just in case.
Probably not a bad film on a technical standpoint. The acting is fine, the action (What little there is) is fine, the effects are fine, the fighting is brutal and it is, on occasion, fun to see what method of survival Hugh Glass uses sometimes. The part where he carves up a horse to sleep inside it for warmth was interesting.

The problem comes when the film just doesn?t DO much. I found myself mentally screaming ?DO SOMETHING? at the movie. Not at the actors or characters, just at the movie itself.
It once lingered on a shot of a waterfall. Not a far shot, mind you. A very, very close one. After a brief shot signifying that the explorers are moving on from a wounded Hugh Glass, the movie pans over to some water. It holds for about ten seconds before cutting to some snow and foliage for another ten straight seconds.
After Hugh recovers slightly it cuts to a sky shot for twenty agonizing seconds while you hear DiCaprio breathing into a mic.
The shot itself is wonderful but it?s so goddamn slow, nothing is happening, and there?s no real point. Nothing. Is. Happening.
DO SOMETHING, MOVIE.

To compare: Matt Damon?s Bourne series. At one point he is shot at, rushes through a store, bandages himself up during a car chase, and then gets hit by another car. He then trudges off.
It?s a fair point to note that The Revenant is going for a more realistic approach (Despite Hugh Glass?s legendary badass status) and Bourne is a literal super-soldier, but I?m just making the point of how the movie flows. The Revenant has no flow. The beginning is great, and the finale is actually quite awesome during the final confrontation. However the road is one screeching halt after another.
It mostly comes in the form of some Native Americans looking for a lost daughter. So they?re shown to be a sort of ?storm? that the hero has to avoid from time to time, and that?s what keeps him moving. So we get about one minute of pure action (A horse chase where he shoots some dudes) only to fall off yet another cliff, suffer some more wounds, and then hide inside a horse for some new slow mountain views and maybe the odd hallucination here and there.
It?s like the movie doesn?t trust its own competency when there?s actual fighting going on. It just wants to get it out of the way to show more closeups of Hugh?s wounded body.

It had a few charming moments (I liked the part where he and another wanderer were catching snowflakes with their tongues) but ultimately I was bored throughout most of the movie. I just wanted it to move on.

I?m perfectly willing to admit that this is a personal discovery: Apparently I simply do not like survival movies. I?ll make a permanent note of this whenever I plan on going out to the movies in the future.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
RedDeadFred said:

I think in the case of Django, he should have been nominated for best supporting at the very least while Waltz should have been nominated for best actor. His role was hardly supporting. I'm pretty sure he had more dialogue than any other character.

While I liked Leo in the Departed (it's one of my favourite movies), I think that if anyone were to get an acting nod for that movie, it should have been Nicholson.
Agreed. His performance in Django was out of this world.

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
Blood Diamond was the movie where I noticed what a talented actor Leo really is.
Great performance in a great movie.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Wolf of Wall Street, seriously? It's not exactly difficult to pull off that role.

RedDeadFred said:

Waltz was supporting actor in Django, there's no question about it. And DiCaprio in The Departed was amazing. Everyone in that movie was incredible. I believed every second of their performance. For the longest time I couldn't stand DiCaprio, mostly because to his role in Titanic. The Departed turned me around and I love the guy ever since.

And he should have won for Blood Diamond. Forest Whitaker is a bad actor. Every one of his performances is the same. Same facial expression, same heavy breathing, same energy and yelling. The only thing that changes is the dialogue and a bit of accent. He's just not believable in anything. He's very much like Nick Cage in that regard. He's overacting.

Cryselle

Soulless Fire-Haired Demon Girl
Nov 20, 2009
I have to agree that his performance in Django was above and beyond his best. I didn't really like the movie much. I /hated/ his character. But I won't forget the performance, any time he was on screen he commanded attention. And the fact that the scene where he breaks the glass and bloodies his hand was unintentional and partially ad-libbed makes what was already probably the most intense scene in the movie even more impressive.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
Congratulations on actually managing to have wrong opinions. That is a feat.

If you want to talk strength of performance rather than politics you'd give him one for What's Eating Gilbert Grape and skip the years of Leo not getting the Oscar.

K12

Dec 28, 2012
I only really agree with two of these. Wolf of Wall Street was no brainer and I never really understood why Waltz got the best supporting actor nomination rather than Di Caprio (maybe because his role was about less than half the film?).

He was very good in "The Departed" and in "Blood Diamond" but they were the same year so he couldn't win both. Plus Forest Whittaker in last "King of Scotland" was better than year.

Never seen Revolutionary Road but I'm totally going to now.

YodaUnleashed

Jun 11, 2010
I've seen 14 of his 28 movies and I've thought he was great in every one. My favourite performances would have to be Blood Diamond, Inception and Catch me if you Can.

Mike Fang

Mar 20, 2008
I definitely enjoyed his performance in "The Departed", but if ever there was any movie that was Oscar-worthy (and contained an Oscar-worthy performance from DiCaprio) I would have to pick Gangs of New York.