Pixel Art Fighting Game Science Kombat Pits Tesla Against Einstein

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Pixel Art Fighting Game Science Kombat Pits Tesla Against Einstein

Science Kombat pits some of history's greatest scientists against one another in a no-holds-bared fighting tournament.

Who would win in a fight between Nikola Tesla and Albert Einstein? Sadly, now that both of these scientists have passed on, we may never truly know, but now, thanks to upcoming pixel art fighter from Superinteressante magazine: Science Kombat [http://super.abril.com.br/jogo-science-kombat], we can have the next best thing. As you may have gathered, Science Kombat pits some of history's greatest scientists against one another, in a Street Fighter II/Mortal Kombat-esque tribute.

The pixel art in this game, provided by artist Diego Sanches [http://www.diegosanches.com/201177/portfolio] is absolutely unreal. First, check out the basic fighting animations of the game's seven fighters; Albert Einstein, Nikola Tesla, Pythagoras, Marie Curie, Charles Darwin, Stephen Hawking and Isaac Newton:

[gallery=5895]

Next, check out some of the game's "special moves". Just like in most fighting games, all of our scientists have special attacks drawing inspiration from their area of expertise. Darwin has an "Evolution" combo attack, for example, while Stephen Hawking can teleport across the stage with his "Wormhole" ability, and Pythagoras can use his "Pythagorean Therom" to dish out a helping of right-angled pain.

[gallery=5896]

Lastly, who do you feature as the "final boss" for a group of scientists? Religion, of course! The game's final boss is named "The Divinity", and takes the forms of various different religious icons in battle:

[gallery=5897]

"The special powers of each scientist represent their major theories. Each scenario is a representative place of the scientist's life (eg. Darwin is in Galapagos and Marie Curie in her lab). And the final boss will be God, that morphs into various God's representations - like in Mortal Kombat, with Shang Tsung. We thought it would be a good metaphor for the battle of science against faith/superstition," developer Fred Di Giacomo told us.

The game will be released "in the next 3-4 weeks", so until then, please enjoy this sneak peek of its amazing artwork. Alternatively, you can check out Filosopfighters [http://super.abril.com.br/multimidia/filosofighters-631063.shtml] - Superinteressante's previous effort which pits famous philosophers against one another in the wresting wring.

Source: Superinteressante Magazine [http://super.abril.com.br/jogo-science-kombat]

All images used with permission.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
Shame there's no Thomas Edison. I'd love to see him in the game just so Nikola Tesla could go lightning on his ass.

Seishisha

By the power of greyskull.
Aug 22, 2011
Ldude893 said:
Shame there's no Thomas Edison. I'd love to see him in the game just so Nikola Tesla could go lightning on his ass.
Edison is clearly the DLC character.

In all seriousness though what a neat concept that is equal parts amusing and stupid, im not a huge fan of fighting games but this has peaked my interest on the concept alone.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Are you fucking kidding me? I just pitched this a few days ago after seeing a thing on Reddit. I didn't even know it was from a game that was basically 100% what I wanted.

Except for the promotional picture of Tesla suplexing Edison through a table. Though should also call it Breakthrough instead of Science Kombat because the latter sounds pretty lame.

mtarzaim02

Jan 23, 2014
Cowabungaa said:
Except for the promotional picture of Tesla suplexing Edison through a table. Though should also call it Breakthrough instead of Science Kombat because the latter sounds pretty lame.
Epic Rap Battles of History has already done most of those, through rhymes battles mind you.
I find it disappointing that god is represented as a woman, while he should be formless. Probably to make up for a lack of boobs in the playable roster. But still, "it's all woman's fault" religious crap, which clashes with the core message.

TheSYLOH

Feb 5, 2010
Oh man, I can see it now. Newton has an act 2 betrayal of the group looking for a code in the bible. He has a throwdown with Robert Hooke(special move: spring loaded left Hooke), spends act 3 on a redemption arc.
Of course Dmitri Mendeleev can bend all the elements, so he fights the Avatar.
Also, it's too bad Zeno of Elea's supermove never fully charges, at least not until Gottfried Leibniz joins the group.

Grumpy Ginger

Jul 9, 2012
The whole final boss being religion personified hits me as bit too angsty 14 year just discovering atheism for me though. Having pseudoscience personified would be a better final boss with stuff like weoponising a giraffes neck lamarck style or energy across the ether or something.

Chessrook44

Legacy
Feb 11, 2009
Country
United States
mtarzaim02 said:
I find it disappointing that god is represented as a woman, while he should be formless. Probably to make up for a lack of boobs in the playable roster. But still, "it's all woman's fault" religious crap, which clashes with the core message.
Uh... how can you tell that's a woman? All you can see of it is two feet and two arms (With one arm white and one black... nice touch, I approve.).

Boris Goodenough

Jul 15, 2009
Chessrook44 said:
mtarzaim02 said:
Uh... how can you tell that's a woman? All you can see of it is two feet and two arms (With one arm white and one black... nice touch, I approve.).
Waist and glueteus? But honestly it's all women's fault is a bit harsh message to take away from it, seeing as there are male gods represented aswell, who are far more violent.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Ok I feel bad for laughing at the Steven Hawking attack aniamtion XD!

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Grumpy Ginger said:
The whole final boss being religion personified hits me as bit too angsty 14 year just discovering atheism for me though. Having pseudoscience personified would be a better final boss with stuff like weoponising a giraffes neck lamarck style or energy across the ether or something.
I'd have to agree. Science's real enemies are poor research and fallacious claims. Plenty of researchers and scientists can still maintain a relationship with something of the order of the divine - as long as it doesn't color their conclusions and tarnishes the discipline's requirement of impartiality.

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
IamLEAM1983 said:
Grumpy Ginger said:
I'd have to agree. Science's real enemies are poor research and fallacious claims. Plenty of researchers and scientists can still maintain a relationship with something of the order of the divine - as long as it doesn't color their conclusions and tarnishes the discipline's requirement of impartiality.
I have to agree as well.

The final boss should be L. Ron Hubbard, representing all the worst aspects of religion and pseudoscience, rather than just attacking the very concept of faith itself.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Lots of scientists were very religious people. "God doesn't play dice with the universe" - Albert Einstein
Religion shouldn't necessarily be the final boss.
I want to see Neil DeGrasse Tyson as a character. He was a wrestler in college. (Google image NDT wrestler to see what I'm talking aboot) He could be a copy-paste of Taeger from BlazBlue. Using gravity instead of magnetism to pull people into grapple range.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
I guess Religion's ultimate attack could be Flat Earth Theory, where the view zooms out to an untilted Earthcentric universe, then a giant fist from the top of the screen comes screaming down and crushes Earth into the equator.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
This...is brilliant! Can't wait wait for the homeopathy challenge DLC, followed by the professors-in-the-pocket-of-oil-companies DLC. Let's take this all the way, shall we?

MeatMachine

Dr. Stan Gray
May 31, 2011
Hawking with a wheelchair gundam fighting machine?

Yes, I approve of this game concept.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Grumpy Ginger said:
It gives me the feeling that this is for the "fuck yeah, science!" crowd. The people who think having Telsa on a t-shirt makes them look smarter, see themselves as objective (unlike those religious sheeple) and are in love with the idea of being scientific when that means bite sized facts and finding articles that kinda validate things they already believe.

Chessrook44

Legacy
Feb 11, 2009
Country
United States
Boris Goodenough said:
Chessrook44 said:
mtarzaim02 said:
Waist and glueteus? But honestly it's all women's fault is a bit harsh message to take away from it, seeing as there are male gods represented aswell, who are far more violent.
What about the upper part of the torso or such? I mean, ideally God would look neither male nor female. Or BOTH Male and Female. Kinda like the both white and black comment I made. Granted I'm not the best at identifying via body shapes, but still...

Also you kinda just admitted to staring at God's ass. Which I just feel is a funny statement to make and am only putting here to make people laugh.

mtarzaim02

Jan 23, 2014
Chessrook44 said:
What about the upper part of the torso or such? I mean, ideally God would look neither male nor female. Or BOTH Male and Female. Kinda like the both white and black comment I made. Granted I'm not the best at identifying via body shapes, but still...

Also you kinda just admitted to staring at God's ass. Which I just feel is a funny statement to make and am only putting here to make people laugh.
Small feet, small hands, graceful stance, small waist, large belt, general female body-type, and the left shoulder could be seen as part of breasts, partially hidden by the left arm.

A female god makes sense historically (most first divinities were goddess of fertility) and biologically (males are failed females which happened to have some usefulness) speaking. Yet, I can't help myself to see another version of the original sin in it, with the game saying "let's beat the crap out of religion, which is of course a woman, because we males are smarter and educated.".

Oh yes, I stared at god's ass, because that's how god made my brain works: identify if it's dangerous, nutritious or doable, and act accordlingly. You don't suppress 1 billion years of evolution like that.

Boris Goodenough

Jul 15, 2009
Chessrook44 said:

I see a pointy breast on "her" torso, I don't think we can apply anything ideal to a god.