Ray Tomlinson, The Inventor of Email, Passes Away

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Ray Tomlinson, The Inventor of Email, Passes Away

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1292/1292775.jpg
Tomlinson popularized the user@host format that has become the global standard for email addresses.

Email, or "Electronic Mail" really changed the way we communicated. Messages that could take days, weeks, or even months to be delivered could suddenly arrive in seconds. Today, we regret to report that Ray Tomlinson, the man credited with email's invention, has passed away of a suspected heart attack aged 74.

In 1971 Tomlinson, working on internet ancestor ARPANET, established the very first networked "email" system. What was particularly significant about Tomlinson's email is that he decided to use the @ symbol in his format, with emails being sent as "user@host". At the time, the @ symbol was a rather obscure mark, and didn't really have a lot of use.

During the early days of the internet, emails were sent in various different formats, but Tomlinson's eventually reigned victorious. His popularization of the @ symbol led to its use in today's social media - can you imagine Twitter without its ubiquitous @ mentions?

Tomlinson has been honored in the Internet hall of fame [http://www.internethalloffame.org/official-biography-raymond-tomlinson], and has received various awards for his service in the tech industry.

So let's all pour one out for Tomlinson, who has made it so most people never have to deal with the post office to send letters ever again.

Source: Engadget [http://www.engadget.com/2016/03/06/email-inventor-ray-tomlinson-dies/]

Chaosian

Mar 26, 2011
From the image, I can't say I'm terribly surprised- he wasn't particularly fit.
Still though, that doesn't change the fact that this is a tragedy for the entire technological landscape.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Chaosian said:
From the image, I can't say I'm terribly surprised- he wasn't particularly fit.
....When you're 74 years old, something is bound to kill you. At that age the common cold can be somewhat of a major heath problem.

Still, we're sadly going to see the pioneers of the World Wide Web fall victim to life this generation or the next at the very least.

Ambitiousmould

Why does it say I'm premium now?
Apr 22, 2012
A great man. The post office has always been slow and unreliable, and this guy made a much better way to achieve the same goal. RIP.

And I can understand that that may have seemed like sarcasm, but I promise it isn't.