DOOM Multiplayer Video Brings Destruction; Closed Beta Dates Unveiled

John Keefer

Devilish Rogue
Aug 12, 2013
DOOM Multiplayer Video Brings Destruction; Closed Beta Dates Unveiled

A new multiplayer trailer for DOOM is out just in time for Bethesda to reveal the closed beta dates for the game.

We are about two months away [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/166265-DOOM-Finally-Gets-a-Release-Date-of-May-13] from the long-awaited release of DOOM, so that must mean it is time to ramp up promotion of the game. Bethesda has obliged with a new multiplayer trailer, as well as the announcement of the dates for the closed beta.

If you were one of the lucky ones who redeemed official DOOM site [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132336-Wolfenstein-The-New-Order-Pre-Orders-Get-DOOM-Beta-Access].

DOOM recently got won by a large margin [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/166703-iD-Software-Reveals-Better-Doom-Cover-Art].

The game will release world wide on all platforms on May 13.

[gallery=5924]

Magmarock

Sep 1, 2011
It looks like they've taken tropes from other games and put it into Doom 4. Games like Halo, Left 4 Dead, Evolve. To be honest it doesn't look that interesting to me. It just looks like a whole lot of seen it, done it.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Magmarock said:
It looks like they've taken tropes from other games and put it into Doom 4. Games like Halo, Left 4 Dead, Evolve. To be honest it doesn't look that interesting to me. It just looks like a whole lot of seen it, done it.
And what did they take? All I see is Doom, except with A LOT more verticality added. And jumping. So basically Q3 with a Doom Skin. The only new feature is being able to become a demon, which is still a bit like Quad-Damage (which we got), but different how it puts that out by instead just plain quad-damage, you get new weapons and abilites instead.

F-I-D-O

I miss my avatar
Feb 18, 2010
Pretty familiar stuff from what I've seen of alpha play. New powerups look cool. I'll be interested in seeing if they keep the two weapon spawn + only special weapon pickups moving forward.
Cacodemon should also be playable, because cacodemon.

Still ridiculously excited for Doom and snapmap.

Magmarock

Sep 1, 2011
Bindal said:
Magmarock said:
And what did they take? All I see is Doom, except with A LOT more verticality added. And jumping. So basically Q3 with a Doom Skin. The only new feature is being able to become a demon, which is still a bit like Quad-Damage (which we got), but different how it puts that out by instead just plain quad-damage, you get new weapons and abilites instead.
It just reminded me of those other games more so then Quake or Unreal.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Magmarock said:
Given that Combat Evolved was basically Quake style multiplayer slowed down to console friendlier speeds that shouldn't be hugely surprising.

It looks like they're splitting the difference somewhat and going a speed between Quake 3's nosebleed inducing pace and Halo's more laid back movement. Nice to see a return of Demon modes from the old Quake mods, although it's not the same without spawning as the MIGHTY SHAMBLER!

I hope it's fun, arena shooters have been far too po-faced lately, TF2 and Overwatch aside.

Magmarock

Sep 1, 2011
fix-the-spade said:
Magmarock said:
Given that Combat Evolved was basically Quake style multiplayer slowed down to console friendlier speeds that shouldn't be hugely surprising.

It looks like they're splitting the difference somewhat and going a speed between Quake 3's nosebleed inducing pace and Halo's more laid back movement. Nice to see a return of Demon modes from the old Quake mods, although it's not the same without spawning as the MIGHTY SHAMBLER!

I hope it's fun, arena shooters have been far too po-faced lately, TF2 and Overwatch aside.
Maybe, the shield grenade defiantly made me think of Halo.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
It seems you can be also an Imp and a Mancubus in MP games.
I would LOVE to see some Cameos or some classic Skins in a form of a Summon, like a classic Revenant skin.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Looks awesome. Now all they need to do is slap a hefty amount of multiplayer options onto this, add in plenty of configurable gametypes with a decent amount of varied maps, and we got a potential Halo killer.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I suppose this is a chicken and the egg scenario, but I got a large Halo vibe watching this, or at least parts of it. There's the armour colour and schemes, the emphasis on movement, map layout, abilities, etc.

On the other hand, still looks fun, especially with the ability to control demons.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Is it valid to be worried that this video has the same sound effect that the Ghostbusters trailer? Or it's just a coincidence? Anyways, I find that sound really obnoxious.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
So...Quake 3 Team Arena meets Halo with a healthy smattering of Doom aesthetics and violence?

I can live with this, I guess. Could be fun. Might enjoy it for a short time.

Truth be told, this is what I was hoping for. I miss this style of arena shooter. So glad to see the team at id seems to get what made Doom and Quake so classic. Think I'll jump on that pre-order.[footnote]If only because, with my Amazon Prime sub, I get a 20% discount. Meaning I pay $47 instead of $60.[/footnote]

[edit]
I'm also really digging the underlying sense of humor amidst all the ultra-violence and carnage. It shows the team behind the game understands when NOT to take this sort of thing too seriously.

I mean, come on....one of the kill awards is called "Criticism". And the kill award for when that player punched the heart out of the Hell Knight was called "Glorious".

I was afraid the game would end up too serious for it's own good. It seems my fears were unwarranted.

Vern

Sep 19, 2008
Oh for shits sake. I pre-ordered Wolfenstein hoping the Doom 4 beta would include a single-player demo, not multiplayer. I would've bought Wolfenstein anyway, but by pre-ordering I got something like 20% off from GMG and the Doom beta. Still, I was really hoping for something single-player, since I haven't played online multiplayer since... Team Fortress Classic and Counter-Strike... in 2000. Oh well, maybe I'll just jump on and see if my computer can handle it. Feck.

F-I-D-O

I miss my avatar
Feb 18, 2010
Arnoxthe1 said:
Looks awesome. Now all they need to do is slap a hefty amount of multiplayer options onto this, add in plenty of configurable gametypes with a decent amount of varied maps, and we got a potential Halo killer.

Don't think they've announced game modes yet, but even if the inital options are sparse Snapmap (forge meets littlebigplanet with game logic modifications) should fix that. They've already revealed you can make entire new game types using that.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
That looks AWESOME.
I normally don't care for multiplayer, I really don't, but I just want to chew on this game any way I can.
I was in the Alpha for this sucker and now I'm madly jealous of the Beat players, they're getting a bunch of stuff that we didn't. That's to be expected, really, but still, I wanna play it already!

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Huh, the only reason I watched this video was because I thought you meant actual in game destruction.