Diablo 2 Gets First Patch in 4 Years

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Diablo 2 Gets First Patch in 4 Years

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/119/119437.jpg
Blizzard has teased that the "journey does not end" with this incremental Diablo 2 patch.

Well here's a bit of interesting news: Diablo 2, which was last updated back in 2011, has just received a new update. Patch 1.14a is now available to download, focusing on system glitches introduced by modern operating system.

The update also includes a new installer for OSX, and improvements to cheat-detection and hack-prevention capabilities. In case you were wondering: yes, Battle.net servers for Diablo 2 are still up and running to this day, and there is still a somewhat active community for the decades-old title.

While this update itself was rather small and signifigant, at the very end of the announcement post [http://us.battle.net/en/forum/topic/20742864181], Blizzard hinted that "There is still a large Diablo 2 community around the world, and we thank you for continuing to play and slay with us. This journey starts by making Diablo 2 run on modern platforms, but it does not end there. See you in Sanctuary, adventurers."

Fans have been speculating on exactly what this means. At the very least, we can probably expect Diablo 2, as well as other legacy Blizzard titles like WarCraft 3, being integrated into the modern Battle.net client. At most, we will see actual new content added to the game. Fingers crossed!

Source: Blizzard [http://us.battle.net/en/forum/topic/20742864181]

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
That's awesome. I'd think the natural next step would be to improve compatibility with modern tech across the board. I'd love to run D2 at a modern resolution.

Pirate Of PC Master race

Rambles about half of the time
Jun 14, 2013
If they cared, they would give us fricking resolution patch that allows 1920x1080.(800x600 LOL)

There was a mod that did this in 1.12, except it was considered cheating program because more sight = cheating...

P.S: blizz is renown for running server for their old games... I enjoyed SC:BW online play for more than a a decade after the release.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I think it was hinted, if not outright confirmed awhile ago that WC1 and 2 would be getting re-releases or remakes, and that SC1, D2, and WC3 would get b.net integration.

So, D2, yeah, lovely...integrate WC3 and then we'll talk.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
That's a good thing. Good on 'em. Hopefully what they're teasing isn't going to change the game in a stupid way.

monkeymangler

Feb 9, 2016
Last played D2 about a year and a half ago when I installed the Total Destruction mod. That mod was freaking awesome.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Pirate Of PC Master race said:
If they cared, they would give us fricking resolution patch that allows 1920x1080.(800x600 LOL)

There was a mod that did this in 1.12, except it was considered cheating program because more sight = cheating...

P.S: blizz is renown for running server for their old games... I enjoyed SC:BW online play for more than a a decade after the release.
It'll most likely happen because no game could consider itself to be ready for the modern environment if it still runs at resolutions of the earlier decades.

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
Whatever Blizz. Keep releasing patches for D2. Just hurry up and release Diablo 3!
Oh...wait...

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Wait, didn't they patch the game a few months ago? I clearly remember this happening a few months ago.

KayeFaye

Jul 28, 2015
Y'know, any developer that is willing to continue supporting and patching their games well over a decade later deserves kudos. Double for patching it to work on modern operating systems. That shows they truly care about the quality of their products past, present, and future.

runic knight

Mar 26, 2011
Zontar said:
Wait, didn't they patch the game a few months ago? I clearly remember this happening a few months ago.
You might be thinking of Diablo 3, which got a season's update and a lot of new stuff and had an article or two talking about it. Diablo 2 patch is what they are talking about here, which as far as I can recall, they are right, nothing new there in a while.

kekkres

Jun 5, 2013
Fappy said:
That's awesome. I'd think the natural next step would be to improve compatibility with modern tech across the board. I'd love to run D2 at a modern resolution.
it breaks the game balance because at a higher resolution you can see enemies far before they can see you, at least that was their reasoning

Glongpre

Jun 11, 2013
Zontar said:
Are you thinking of 1.13d? It feels like it was only released a year or so ago for me, but I guess they released it in 2011?! Time flies when you are obliterating demons!

I think they should just do a big balance patch for the fans, keep all current viable builds the same, but just buff the generally unusable and tedious skills. Diablo fans would rejoice!

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/now-warcraft-3-is-getting-a-new-update/1100-6435608/

Huh. Seems like I didn't have to wait long on the "update your other old games" front.

InflatableHippo

Feb 13, 2016
Country
usa
Hawki said:
Huh. Seems like I didn't have to wait long on the "update your other old games" front.
honestly if they dont do some balancing with heros and units its going to be such a bore to see the same archmage to sorc and blademaster raider that are in the top 1v1 for well.... ever since it became the meta. blizzard will need to have constant updates like with hots and hearthstone if this will see any value to new players.

Wilco86

Oct 5, 2011
Great news, but I'd be more hyped if Blizzard would make the first Diablo available for digital purchase. I own the CD for the original, but getting the game work with my current computer is somewhat impossible. If that game doesn't belong in Classics section of the Battle.net store I don't know what does.

Edit: And of the Diablo games it still probably has the best Hell levels in the series.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
(continuing to beat the dead horse skeleton until it is powder)

you know what would be great? an offline patch for D3, then I would actually buy it