Tom Clancy's The Division Review - A Divided Experience

Mitchell Saltzman

Mar 10, 2012
Tom Clancy's The Division Review - A Divided Experience

The Division is a game that is transformative depending on whether you are playing alone or with a squad of friends.

Read Full Article

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
So it's basically an MMORPG where you use cover based 3rd person shooting instead of magic/swords? got it.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
P-89 Scorpion said:
So it's basically an MMORPG where you use cover based 3rd person shooting instead of magic/swords? got it.
Ya, and in those MMORPGs, you have access to a wide range of impactful abilities. The abilities in this game don't really seem all that exciting. Looks incredibly dull.

bificommander

Apr 19, 2010
I've wandered alone between most story-missions, but I'll try to get a PUG for free roaming also. Solo play is a fun little popcorn shooter, but I expect it to wear out it's welcome quick. And yeah, the "elite" enemies that take a few clips to put down are annoying, especially if it's one of the short-ranged powerhouses or snipers. These guys pack a punch, which is normally balanced by their vulnerabily. But the elites are classic examples of what Yahtzee called regular enemies that ate more protein bars. Instead of being a sort-of exam on the game mechanics, these bastards break it by being able to waltz right through your fire and shotgun or flamethrower you in the face.

The enviroment you walk around in is very pretty and atmospheric, it really sells the mood of the game. Too bad the rest of the game storytelling methods aren't that good. There's very little integration of the game mechanics with the supposed setting. The intruiging concept of being a sleeper agent who's turned active when your hometown is in desperate crisis is kind of neglected. Honestly, nothing would've really changed if they'd said you were a Navy SEAL, except that you'd presumably have a smaller selection of outfits to choose from. (Not that it matters, since all the ones I unlocked are pretty dull.) And don't expect the desperate situation to lead to any gameplay effects or moral choices. If it has a red health bar, kill it for great justice and move on.

I kind of bought the game on a whim since I was done with XCOM 2 for a while, and I mildly regret the purchase. I've had fun with it and may have a little more, but I probably wouldn't have bought it if I'd seen the Gothic Armada beta was accesible already.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
RedDeadFred said:
Ya, and in those MMORPGs, you have access to a wide range of impactful abilities. The abilities in this game don't really seem all that exciting. Looks incredibly dull.
Even the game changing ones are pretty...lackluster.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
i have only played the beta and i was bored. i was mainly alone but even then with friends it was boring. also when i was in the dark zone. we didnt do much really. just waiting for some chopper to come, shoot down some over powered bullet sponges enemies, and thats it. interesting principle but poor execution.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
You know a game isn't good when even IGN shits all over it, considering they're bought and paid for by most publishers. Everything I've gathered from reviews suggests that the campaign is just bland cover-based shooting against bullet-sponges and that the Dark Sector is really the only redeeming factor of the game.

So you know what that means, don't you? Because this is an Ubisoft game, we can expect The Division 2 to come out next year and be an online arena shooter built entirely around the Dark Sector combat.

Rewdalf

Usually Sacrastic
Jan 6, 2010
I got this game for free since it was bundled with the 980ti I bought.

I wasn't extremely excited, but I can't say I wasn't curious.
It was cool though, since I had quite a few friends who bought it.

Problem is, I have work and college courses, while the majority of my friends do nothing but spend all day playing this game.

Meaning, I'm stuck at the low levels going solo while they're partied up and already pretty much done with the game.

and let me tell you, this game is a huge snore-fest if you're going it alone...
I'm very glad I didn't pay a dime for it.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
TizzytheTormentor said:
Got it yesterday, played it with a friend and it seems solid so far, game looks stunning (got visuals maxed) and it played pretty well too, you actually have to use cover or you get dead pretty fast, once you go into it expecting an RPG shooter rather than a twitch shooter, you will have a good time, as the review said, much more fun with friends.

It doesn't do anything new, but what it does, it does well, even if the UI is a bit cluttered (albeit with useful information)
The UI is really heavily customisable actually, somewhere in one of the menus, though the menus are a bit clunky.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Oh groovypants, we have to piece together the story from (sing along if you know the words!)...
Random documents and audio logs...

senaji

Sep 28, 2014
The Division has beautiful graphics, a dense content and an immersive atmosphere ... But unfortunately the game is so repetitive, and the scenario is just ridiculous. So there are good and bad thing in this game, that in my opinion does not deserve a good score.