Satoru Iwata Was Honored at GDC Awards With a Moving Animated Short

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Satoru Iwata Was Honored at GDC Awards With a Moving Animated Short

"In my heart, I am a gamer."

Late Nintendo President Satoru Iwata [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/141536-Nintendo-President-Satoru-Iwata-Dies] was honored with a touching 3-minute-long animated video at the Game Developers Choice Awards in San Francisco.

The video, created by Raber Umphenour, Shawne Benson, David Hellman, and Chris Kohler, gives a brief glimpse into Iwata's career, ideas, and impact on the industry. The video closes with a quote from Iwata's GDC 2005 speech: "...in my heart, I am a gamer."

I won't say too much, because words simply don't do it justice. Just maybe have some tissues handy.

Jeteye

Escapist +
Feb 7, 2011
Country
United States of America
That was beautiful. A very nice tribute to a great man.

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
Probably the only good part of that award show and quite a lot more tasteful than the hastily thrown together segment at the VGAs.

hamsterkilla

Battlefield veteran
Aug 11, 2009
This was a moving tribute to a man who did a lot of great things, while remaining true to himself. At least from what I could see from my perspective half a world away. I'm glad I watched it and got teary eyed near the end.

I think it's also fantastic that after so long his memory can still have such a profound impact upon gamers. And to think, he was a CEO which usually brings to mind corruption and greed, while an image of Iwata brings up neither.