Miracles from Heaven - Heaven is Totally for Real, Too

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Miracles from Heaven - Heaven is Totally for Real, Too

Miracles from Heaven is Heaven is for Real, but with a sick child for 75% of its running time.

Read Full Article

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Now...i don't want to force anybody to reveal their sources for their miracles, but don't they all allegedly come from heaven? Isn't heaven the sole provider of miracles? Or does hell get in on the action too?

Nevertheless, these "based on true story" paranormal films are more like officially vouching for Gary's drunken stories down the local pub. I know many people who buy into the "but it totally happened, so that makes this film automatically better 'cos i LOVE watching reality as it realistically unfolds in real-time really!" I get strong urges to slap the stupid out of them. The fact that i don't is a miracle in itself! Thanks, God! Or...whoever gots my back.

Affirm productions/films brought a chortle...that is almost self-satire. The fact that it isn't, only makes it all the more hilairious. Though really...believe in God or your children will die?? Bloody hell (pun originally not intended), that's a bit heavy, isn't it? Though, i guess if you're already christian, it doesn't matter so much since they're going to have a much happier time in that city in the sky. Father Comstock will look after them, unless they happen to not be white/American.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Ahh so preachiness is ok as long as it's against evil stock brokers in the big short but not when its Christians. This film is a genre film that is not designed for you in just the same way the the big short is genre film designed for you.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
The problem with these films is that they confirm the existance of God, but only people who already believed in God watches them. As a result, intentional or not, it comes off as a circle jerk.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
erttheking said:
The problem with these films is that they confirm the existance of God, but only people who already believed in God watches them. As a result, intentional or not, it comes off as a circle jerk.
Preaching to the choir makes enough money to keep the yearly cycle going, sadly. The upside is that these films tend to be so incompetently shot and/or directed and/or written and/or acted that there's occasionally a fantastically bad one to look forward to on Midnight Screenings - along with the often entertaining anecdotes about who else was present in the theatre.

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
It always seem hypocritical to me that these kinds of religious folk want to talk constantly about having faith- but at the same time, welcome any and all "proof" to "affirm" their faith. Doesn't that defeat the whole point of having faith?

From a theological perspective, if someone "goes to heaven" and "talks to God and/or Jesus", they are prophets, which is a pretty big freaking deal. If a child had a fever dream in the middle ages and say they talked to God, their parents would tell them to shut the hell up about that, as claiming to be a prophet and being unable to prove it came with extremely serious consequences.

I suppose you could chalk it up to new-world willy-nilly fantastic Christianity, but it seems like these movies do less to actually inspire or "affirm" genuine faith, and do more to provide what they see as "evidence" of God and the Bible in the face of a lot of counter-evidence.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
One day, there's going to be a faith movie that my Mom and I can watch that we'll both like.

Not this day, though.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
See, Christians pretty much have frikkin' Terrence Malick making films from their corner, so the rest of them should really up their game. Or sit in the corner with a dunce's hat on, thinking long and hard about what they've done.

And yeah, as has been mentioned, the title's a bit of a head scratcher. Miracles from heaven? As opposed to all the other miracles? And if there are other miracles, what makes one deity's better than the next? Do they have sizzle reels for their miracles? 'Cause I want to make an informed decision about this...

rcs619

Mar 26, 2011
It kills the sick child of a non-believer, while saving the one from a believer, and then the father of the kid who died instantly believes the family's story and is now, himself, a believer - and his change of faith means that there's no way that anyone should question this story.
See, this sort of thing happens *all* the time in these Christian affirmation movies, and it bothers me far more than the preachiness, or cheesiness.

Really, it begs a very serious question of "Is this the kind of God that you want to follow?" One that kills the child of a non-believer to make some kind of petty point? How can anyone look at that as anything but abominable? It happened in "God's Not Real" too. The atheist professor (who was both a terrible philosophy professor *and* a major dick, to be fair) has his wife leave him at the end and *then* get fatally run over by a hit-and-run driver, leaving him to slowly die in the middle of the street, in the rain.

I dunno, using the God-induced deaths of unbelievers/people the Christians this movie is targeted at don't like as some kind of cheap prop just speaks to a very worrying worldview.

Also, as a side-note, why the hell does God only ever reveal miracles and visions of heaven to families who are already super-Christian? That's the most bass-ackwards way possible to do this sort of thing. God should be actively seeking out non-believers to perform miracles on to make them believers. All punishing unbelievers does is reaffirm the faith of those who already believes in you. It's the spiritual equivalent of a circlejerk. It doesn't actually convince anyone new to give your message any meaningful consideration.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
erttheking said:
The problem with religion or atheism in movies and tv is that there is a god in movies and tv, its the director.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
hentropy said:
It always seem hypocritical to me that these kinds of religious folk want to talk constantly about having faith- but at the same time, welcome any and all "proof" to "affirm" their faith. Doesn't that defeat the whole point of having faith?

From a theological perspective, if someone "goes to heaven" and "talks to God and/or Jesus", they are prophets, which is a pretty big freaking deal. If a child had a fever dream in the middle ages and say they talked to God, their parents would tell them to shut the hell up about that, as claiming to be a prophet and being unable to prove it came with extremely serious consequences.

I suppose you could chalk it up to new-world willy-nilly fantastic Christianity, but it seems like these movies do less to actually inspire or "affirm" genuine faith, and do more to provide what they see as "evidence" of God and the Bible in the face of a lot of counter-evidence.
It's especially funny because the era of prophecy has ended according to Christian tradition. Oh, and Islam as well but that's beside the point. There was even an added bonus of 'and if anyone says otherwise, they're an asshat'.

Which makes me head-desk whenever someone either takes Revelations literally or, like here, say that they talked to god and have commandments from them. Which, you have noted is a BIG FREAKING DEAL. It's part of a weird strain of modern evangelism that seeks justifications instead of actually paying attention to the lessons.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Xsjadoblayde said:
Now...i don't want to force anybody to reveal their sources for their miracles, but don't they all allegedly come from heaven? Isn't heaven the sole provider of miracles? Or does hell get in on the action.
I always figured Satan was like a second rate loan shark. You can get a miracle from heaven if your a decent Christian, and then pay it back with a lifetime of faith and proscelatizing. If your a filthy sodomite, however, and your soul-credit sucks, then you'll have to get a back alley loan from old Lucy. Which is all well and good, but I heard the interest is soul crushing.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
rcs619 said:
I dunno, using the God-induced deaths of unbelievers/people the Christians this movie is targeted at don't like as some kind of cheap prop just speaks to a very worrying worldview.
No one finds it more worrying than the average Christian. Even people I know who liked God's Not Dead were irritated by "offing the atheist".

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
lacktheknack said:
No one finds it more worrying than the average Christian. Even people I know who liked God's Not Dead were irritated by "offing the atheist".
Just wait until the sequel, when an evil atheist takes the good Christian woman to court over her saying the "Golden Rule" in answer to a student's question.

TWO WEEKS, LACK. TWO WEEKS!

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Heaven is for Real was confirmed by the kid himself to be a hoax. He says he did it in the first place because he wanted to give people hope, even if he wasn't telling the truth. Sounds like some Life of Pi bullcrap.

And this is coming a very firm Christian too. lol

lacktheknack said:
One day, there's going to be a faith movie that my Mom and I can watch that we'll both like.

Not this day, though.

For you, man. :D

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
Albino Boo said:
Ahh so preachiness is ok as long as it's against evil stock brokers in the big short but not when its Christians. This film is a genre film that is not designed for you in just the same way the the big short is genre film designed for you.
I feel like Christian genre films that encourage Christians is missing the point of a powerful tool of evangelicism.
It's a chance for Christianity to be accessible to people from outside The Church. But if the film is merely patting the back of existing believers, it's just going to alienate Agnostic or Atheist people. It will push them further away.

I think it risks exploiting people's faith to provide something that can be supplied in another way.

Why is it so hard to produce a good film that portrays what it is to be a Christian to the masses?

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
Worgen said:
erttheking said:
The problem with religion or atheism in movies and tv is that there is a god in movies and tv, it's the director.
It is true. You're watching the work of the creator. But unlike The Creator in The Bible and Christian, Jewish and Islamic belief, this creator is a flawed human who will communicate a biased world view.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
scw55 said:
Albino Boo said:
I feel like Christian genre films that encourage Christians is missing the point of a powerful tool of evangelicism.
It's a chance for Christianity to be accessible to people from outside The Church. But if the film is merely patting the back of existing believers, it's just going to alienate Agnostic or Atheist people. It will push them further away.

I think it risks exploiting people's faith to provide something that can be supplied in another way.

Why is it so hard to produce a good film that portrays what it is to be a Christian to the masses?
A film is there to make money by appealing to a target audience. Christian films are genre films in the same way western or kung fu films are. Each have their own conventions which the audience want to see.