New Royal Research Ship Could Be Named Boaty McBoatface

John Keefer

Devilish Rogue
Aug 12, 2013
New Royal Research Ship Could Be Named Boaty McBoatface

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1300/1300003.jpg

When the Natural Environment Research Council called for input on names for its new multi-million dollar research vessel, it probably didn't expect Boaty McBoatface to be leading its competition by a wide margin.

This is when marketing goes wrong. When trying to come up with names for a new state-of-the art polar research vessel, some well-meaning individual at the Natural Environment Research Council probably said "Hey, let's solicit suggestions from the Internet." This is how you get names like Boaty McBoatface.

Yes, that name has more than 16,000 votes. Second place so far? The RRS Henry Worsley with a little more than 2,000 votes. Voting was so intense for the frontrunner that the NERC voting website was knocked offline for awhile from the traffic load.

The new vessel, designed to explore Antarctica and the Arctic polar regions, is expected to be operational in 2019 and will create about 400 jobs, including spots for 90 scientists and 60 apprenticeships, as well as support staff. It cost roughly 200 million British pounds to build.

The name was obviously a tongue-in-cheek suggestion by a school communications manager names James Hand, who later tweeted an apology [https://twitter.com/JamesHand/status/711479521132810241] for the suggestion. But that has not stopped it from beating out other entrants such as RRS David Attenborough, RRS Usain Boat, RRS Pingu, and RRS NotTheTitantic.

Despite the overwhelming nature of the vote, NERC has made it clear that their CEO has the final say so on the naming of the boat. NERC had hoped [http://nameourship.nerc.ac.uk/?id=jqNWiSui] for "an inspirational name that exemplifies the work (the ship) will do."

"The ship could be named after a local historical figure, movement, or landmark - or a famous polar explorer or scientist," the voting page said. "We would like the name to be inspirational and about environmental and polar science, to help us tell everyone about the amazing work the ship does."

Good luck with that. Next time, when getting the Internet involved, they may want to have a pre-selected group of names to choose from. Oh, well, live and learn.

Source: The Independent [http://www.independent.co.uk/news/boaty-mcboatface-could-be-the-name-of-200m-research-vessel-after-public-vote-a6942551.html]

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
Really, they should go with Boaty McBoatface. Yeah, it's not dignified. It will, however, be forever famous.

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
I will be extremely saddened and disappointed if Boaty McBoatface isn't at least the vessel's unofficial nickname to the occupants when it launches.

Also the CEO is, by all appearances, a rather humorless fellow. I'd be taking this in stride if I were him. Riding it for all its worth to promote the important research the vessel is suppose to perform. But no, he has to go the super serious route. What a waste of brand recognition.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Could it be amemded to Floaty McBoatface? I feel it is important to make it clear that this boat can float. Like a face.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
There's pretty much no reason not to go with it, the ship will be way more famous and this might actual result in good publicity and maybe even donation. Just look at horse race where people will bet on terrible horse just cause they have cute name.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
This is almost as good as my ship and captain on Star Trek Online: The USS Beardface, Brian Beardface Blessed commanding, using a characrer model of wild hair and a gigantic beard. However, the McBoatFace can redeem itself in one of two ways:

{1} Either by having a captain as grizzled and such as the one from Jaws.

OR

{2} By having at least one crew member with a David Ryder nickname.

I'll even accept Bob Johnson!

Dominic Crossman

Apr 15, 2013
Reminds me of face mcshooty from borderlands 2
Anyway, I agree with general consensus of it being good publicity if they actually go through with it.

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
Yay if this wins, but I don't think the name went far enough. I'd have went with something more prestigious sounding, like: Lord Boaty Boatsford, of the Boatshire Boatsfords, third of his name, heir to the Boatsford fortune, Supreme Commander of the Boatswanna flotilla, Esquire. (Long may he reign.)

John Keefer

Devilish Rogue
Aug 12, 2013
llamastorm.games said:
John Keefer said:
...RRS Usain Bolt...
The suggestion was actually "RRS Usain Boat" not Bolt which is massively funnier
I checked several sites and only "Bolt" appears, not Boat. And the "name our ship" site is still down. Do you have a link where you saw it as Boat?

Ambitiousmould

Why does it say I'm premium now?
Apr 22, 2012
This is what it means to be British. Take something that other people would celebrate and praise and take the piss. I am so chuffing proud right now.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
ambitiousmould said:
This is what it means to be British. Take something that other people would celebrate and praise and take the piss. I am so chuffing proud right now.
Truly an example of utter Britishness, me breast is swelling with good cheer to know that there are still plenty of sarky buggers ready to take the piss out of anything that moves.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
This would actually make me want to change my career entirely. The chance to be at the helm of such a wonderously named vessel is all but too much.