The Worst Companies in The World

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013

From bad to worse to soul-crushingly evil, here are The Escapist's top ten Worst Companies in the World.

Read Full Article

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Y'know, even after seeing the list begin with a fictional company, I held out hope EA would make it on. I was not disappointed.

P.S. Thanks

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
I think you missed out that evil behemoth that secretly controls the world's gaming press, Zenimax media.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
I would pull Sarif out of there. I was surprised and pleased that just for once it turns out your boss doesn't betray you. Sure David Sarif might not have been a perfect human being but he did his best for Adam and amazingly didn't install any killswitches in his Augmentations either!

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Hey now, maybe some of Team Rocket suck, but Jesse and James? They're the best Pokemon trainers ever. They ask Pokemon if they want to be trained by them unlike some who just knock them out and stuff 'em in a Pokeball then download them into a computer and forget they exist except for shiny trades.

Side note: Venture Industries is possibly the least screwed up thing in that universe... that's saying a lot.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Heh, this was a fun article, I like they comments at the bottom. Though if you're putting EA on here despite being a real company, then why not Konami? I shouldn't have to explain why, right?

mavkiel

Apr 28, 2008
CrazyGirl17 said:
Heh, this was a fun article, I like they comments at the bottom. Though if you're putting EA on here despite being a real company, then why not Konami? I shouldn't have to explain why, right?
No, Konami still occasionally does neat things. Like actually allowing assets from mgsv to be modded into fallout 4. EA however, is just evil. I'd rather work for Umbrella and take my chances with the flesh eating zombie hordes. (Opposed to the soul sucking kinds)

Jadedvet

Jul 1, 2013
releasing a weaponized zombie virus vs ruining Sim City; that's a tough call for the first spot there.

JCAll

Oct 12, 2011
Is Team Rocket even a company? I mean, they are basically the Mob or the Yakuza.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Quellist said:
I would pull Sarif out of there. I was surprised and pleased that just for once it turns out your boss doesn't betray you. Sure David Sarif might not have been a perfect human being but he did his best for Adam and amazingly didn't install any killswitches in his Augmentations either!
That's actually a good point. I remember playing Deus Ex and thinking "oh look, super-rich CEO, of course he's going to betray me at some point for profit because billionaires are EVILLLLLL!", but then the game actually had the balls to not only not make him a villain, but actually make him a pretty decent guy.

And c'mon, no Eurocorp? They killed your parents and made you into a living weapon with an installed Killswitch! Bunch of jerks...

monkeymangler

Feb 9, 2016
mavkiel said:
CrazyGirl17 said:
No, Konami still occasionally does neat things. Like actually allowing assets from mgsv to be modded into fallout 4. EA however, is just evil. I'd rather work for Umbrella and take my chances with the flesh eating zombie hordes. (Opposed to the soul sucking kinds)
Why not Bank of America? You know, the company that helped devastate the world economy?

Let's see, on one hand, a banking corporation that helped cause the financial collapse with predatory loans and various shady business practices. On the other... a company that makes video games you don't like.

Tough call there.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
I was expecting this to be about real, non-gaming companies, clicking on the text link going in here. Was bracing for some horrific stories of child labour, genocide and U2 appreciation. Upon seeing game related pictures, the expectation shrank to game publishers/developers and braced for unsettling tales of unpaid labour, dastardly bosses and Duke colonial retribution forever: revelations...but no, it is fictional entities. That's 2 whole degrees of whimsy! I feel there's probably be a safety position i should entering for this, to avoid any permanent damage.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
You knock Wayne Enterprises, but they were apparently able to weather that economic crisis mentioned in Superman/Batman: Public Enemies.

mavkiel

Apr 28, 2008
monkeymangler said:
Why not Bank of America? You know, the company that helped devastate the world economy?

Let's see, on one hand, a banking corporation that helped cause the financial collapse with predatory loans and various shady business practices. On the other... a company that makes video games you don't like.

Tough call there.
Because complaining about banks, would be like complaining about drug cartels putting people in oil drums and setting them on-fire. Nobody expects much good behavior from either group. A game company though? Takes some work to get people to hate you.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
There's a mistake in the Aperture Science one. Caroline was Cave Johnsons Secretary, not his wife(unless there's some audio clip I missed).

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Venture Industries picked up again, with Jonas Venture, Jr. at the helm, with his amazingly popular V-Pad and other commercial electronics, while his last big act of superscience was constructing Gargantua 2. But since Rusty became CEO, well...
And Wayne and Sarif being terrible to work for? Really? Bruce cleaned up Wayne Enterprises after being CEO, and David Sarif breaks the mold of fictional corporate heads by being an alright guy. I was expecting Abstergo Industries on this list, but then again, they're not stupid evil, like Umbrella. They, as a front for the Templar Order, have a PURPOSE.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Dalisclock said:
There's a mistake in the Aperture Science one. Caroline was Cave Johnsons Secretary, not his wife(unless there's some audio clip I missed).
You are correct, good sir. I have amended the article.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
Steven Bogos said:

From bad to worse to soul-crushingly evil, here are The Escapist's top ten Worst Companies in the World.

Read Full Article