This Immortal Deer Is Having The Best Grand Theft Auto V Adventure

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
This Immortal Deer Is Having The Best Grand Theft Auto V Adventure

[vimeo=153319249]For the past 48 hours, an immortal autonomous deer has been sowing incredible chaos on a Grand Theft Auto V Twitch stream.

It's not clear where Edgar Allen Doe's journey began, or where it will eventually end. But one thing is clear - it's making for one of the most fantastic animal NPC adventures you've ever seen. Edgar is an immortal, autonomous deer who has been exploring <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/grand%20theft%20auto%20v?os=grand+theft+auto+v>Grand Theft Auto V's Los Santos for the past 48 hours, starting gang wars, causing traffic pile-ups, and escaping police chases. And thank the heavens, someone's been livestreaming it the entire time.

Hosted by Twitch and San Andreas Animal Cams, this stream uses a modded version of Grand Theft Auto V that focuses on a deer NPC that cannot die. This has granted it an ability to explore beyond its natural habitat without caring for the worries of man. In the past ten minutes alone, Edgar has escaped from a gunfight at the airport, walked through the ocean, found hiding spaces at the docks and...

Breaking news, the police are firing rockets at Edgar. I repeat, Edgar is under fire and everything is exploding.

[twitch=bwatanabe]

*Ahem*

The stream constantly veers from moments of quiet introspection as Edgar wanders the beach, to insane action violence, to goofy ragdoll physics when he spontaneously falls off of mountains. And since a script periodically teleports Edgar to prevent him from getting stuck, there's no shortage of exciting moments for audiences to watch. It might be the most compelling thing I've seen in months, and it's hard to look away just to write this post.

San Andreas Animal Cam plans to run the stream until April 20, 2016. Even better, <a href=https://www.crowdrise.com/san-andreas-deer-cam-donations-for-the-humane-society-of-seattleking-county/fundraiser/brentwatanabe>it's inspired donations to the Seattle Humane Society. How can it go wrong? It can't. Because Edgar is amazing.

[gallery=6060]

Source: Games Radar

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
*watches stream for 5 minutes*

He's just faffing about at the bottom of the sea, running back and forth and such...

DO SOMETHING EXCITING, DAMNIT!

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
RJ 17 said:
*watches stream for 5 minutes*

He's just faffing about at the bottom of the sea, running back and forth and such...

DO SOMETHING EXCITING, DAMNIT!
Hope you stuck around, now the police helicopters are in pursuit.

Mar 30, 2010
Seriously, if this had been an unintentional bug it would have been hilarious, but it wasn't unintentional - it was entirely planned and is therefore incredibly dull.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
It's an interesting experiment, to be sure. It's like goat simulator invaded gta, but in classic goat simulator style it wound up with venison goat.

I'm kind of curious to see what the endgame is for this, assuming there is one.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
flying_whimsy said:
It's an interesting experiment, to be sure. It's like goat simulator invaded gta, but in classic goat simulator style it wound up with venison goat.

I'm kind of curious to see what the endgame is for this, assuming there is one.
Goat Sim GTA5 Edition - Deer God Mode.
I know, horrible joke but I still stick with it.

Watching this stream has a similar vibe as watching Twitch Plays Pokemon Red (back in its first run) - nobody knows what's going on, but it somehow is facinating.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
These are the kind of random occurrences in the gaming community I really relish. This brought a smile to my face.

Nuuu

Jan 28, 2011
Of course I get here and find something relaxing enough to motivate me to practice animation... and the deer breaks and disappears 10 minutes later.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
I think I would absolutely love this if he didn't stop moving every 20 yards. Instead, he keeps walking into walls and such which is more frustrating to watch.