First Jungle Book Clip Unveils Idris Elba's Terrifying Shere Khan

JaredJones

Jun 8, 2015
First Jungle Book Clip Unveils Idris Elba's Terrifying Shere Khan

The Beasts of No Nation star brings just the right amount of menace to the iconic role.

Jon Favreau's live-action adaptation of the Richard Kipling novel-turned-Disney-classic The Jungle Book is attempting an ambitious feat to put it lightly. Thus far, however, the reaction has been largely positive, thanks in no doubt to both the beautiful visuals on display in the TV spots [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/142425-Jungle-Book-Trailer-Packs-Crazy-Visuals-Ridiculous-Narration] for the upcoming film and the incredible cast of voice talent Disney has been able to assemble.

Ben Kingsley, Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o, BILL FREAKIN' MURRAY AND CHRISTOPHER FREAKIN' WALKEN...The Jungle Book is like a who's-who of Hollywood elite both young and old, and this morning, Disney offered us a first look at yet another one of its spot-on casting choices: Idris Elba as the evil Bengal tiger, Shere Khan.

"I can't help but notice there is a strange odor today," menaces Elba/Khan. "What is it, the scent that I'm on? I almost think it was some kind of...MAN-CUB."

Originally voiced by George Sanders, Elba's take on Khan definitely has a certain Scar-like quality to it, which should serve the role well given how similar the characters are on a base level. It's giving me the willies, in either case, even if those growls that resonante behind "FORBIDDEN!" seem a bit...off.

One would imagine that intros of Bill Murray's Baloo and ScarJo's Kaa (among others) will be soon to follow, so we'll make sure to pass them along when/if they do.

The Jungle Book opens in theatres April 15 in 3D.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I think some things just work better as animated. Live action makes this look really silly.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Idris Elba's voice is all kinds of awesome. Dude is ranged enough to where I could see him being this generation's James Earl Jones.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
While technically impressive, visually I can't help but be struck by how generic it all looks.

Glongpre

Jun 11, 2013
I hope this is near the end, and Khan slowly moves closer while distracting everyone with his speech and tries to devour little Mowgli. Otherwise, that seems very un-Shere Khan to me, to make a speech then retreat.

But then again this is a remake, so they are free to add as many tropes and cliches as they want.

Always impressed at how far animation has come though. Technology grows up so fast!

srpilha

Dec 24, 2008
um.. "Richard" Kipling, really?

RUDYARD Kipling, please. There aren't many with that name, let's at least give him that.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Glongpre said:
I hope this is near the end, and Khan slowly moves closer while distracting everyone with his speech and tries to devour little Mowgli. Otherwise, that seems very un-Shere Khan to me, to make a speech then retreat.

But then again this is a remake, so they are free to add as many tropes and cliches as they want.

Always impressed at how far animation has come though. Technology grows up so fast!
It's almost certainly at the start of the film. Mowgli's with Akeyla's pack (think it was Akeyla?), Shao Khan comes and sniffs him out. My guess is that this is the catalyst for Bagheera trying to get Mowgli to the village. The ending confrontation has been shown to take place at night.

But anyway, looks good. Heck, I've been onboard for this film for awhile now, and so far, hasn't disappointed me in what I've seen.

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
I don't like it. I love Idris Elba in Pacific Rim, Thor and Luthor but his tone didn't alter even though I'm assuming Shere Khan was meant to be angry when he roared.

wulf3n

Mar 12, 2012
karloss01 said:
his tone didn't alter even though I'm assuming Shere Khan was meant to be angry when he roared.
Yeah, it's quite telling given that they had to add an actual roar to emphasize it, but that just made it more distracting.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
This is...interesting.

I already watched a live action Jungle Book (forgot name of the film but it was somewhat succesfull so at least some of ya will know what I'm on about) and I remember quite enjoying it. That adaptation in question wasn't very truthful to the books, or the disney film, so you had Mowgli as an adult getting infatuated with a british governors daughter trying to protect the lost gold of some hidden temple from the clutches of the baddies (who get killed off in gruesome "the mummy" type ways if memory serves), Shere Khan wasn't even an enemy to Mowgli so much as a force of nature. No animals spoke.

So coming from that, I'm actually surprised this live action version seems closer to the disney film, including having talking animals. This somewhat intrigues me, especially after finding out who are some of the voice talents.

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
Eh.
Casual Shinji said:
While technically impressive, visually I can't help but be struck by how generic it all looks.
Agreed everything looks so brown and muddied.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Story said:
Casual Shinji said:
Agreed everything looks so brown and muddied.
Well, it just looks like.. normal nature. You'd think they'd want to take advantage of the fact that it's The Jungle Book and give it that almost primordial jungle look. Sorta like Disney's Tarzan, but in live-action.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Pallindromemordnillap said:
Hawki said:
Shao Khan comes and sniffs him out.
Mortal Kombat/Jungle Book crossover confirmed
So Shere Khan is Shao Khan's animality?

...makes sense I guess. 0_0

Glongpre

Jun 11, 2013
Hawki said:
Glongpre said:

It's almost certainly at the start of the film. Mowgli's with Akeyla's pack (think it was Akeyla?), Shao Khan comes and sniffs him out. My guess is that this is the catalyst for Bagheera trying to get Mowgli to the village. The ending confrontation has been shown to take place at night.
Yeah, that's what I see, but it just doesn't jive with my head canon, you know. Bagheera wants Mowgli to get out way, way, way before Shere can even smell him. Just thinking about Khan makes everyone question his safety. Khan hates humans with a passion, and this is an easy opportunity for him to just rip Mowgli to shreds.

Course, I am talking from a purist perspective, in that they shouldn't deviate from the original movie, cause it is fantastic. But obviously they are going to, which remains to be seen how it will turn out.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Ehh, it's a bit off putting, particularly the line "man is forbidden". The growl effect they added doesn't match the tone of voice.

JSoup

Jun 14, 2012
The tiger growling mixed in with the speech struck me as a little silly, but it was otherwise good.