New Study Finds That Mass Surveillance Stifles Dissenting Opinions

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
New Study Finds That Mass Surveillance Stifles Dissenting Opinions

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1304/1304112.jpg

A recent study published in Journalism and Mass Communication Quarterly finds that the reminder of mass government surveillance causes people to self-censor minority and dissenting opinions.

Journalism and Mass Communication Quarterly [http://m.jmq.sagepub.com/content/early/2016/02/25/1077699016630255.full.pdf?ijkey=1jxrYu4cQPtA6&keytype=ref&siteid=spjmq], titled "Under Surveillance: Examining Facebook's Spiral of Silence Effects in the Wake of NSA Internet Monitoring," evaluated the impact of subtle reminders of mass surveillance on subjects, and their willingness to voice minority and dissenting opinions about events taking place in the world.

"This study explores how perceptions and justification of surveillance practices may create a chilling effect on democratic discourse by stifling the expression of minority political views," author Elizabeth Stoycheff wrote in the paper. "Using a spiral of silence theoretical framework, knowing one is subject to surveillance and accepting such surveillance as necessary act as moderating agents in the relationship between one's perceived climate of opinion and willingness to voice opinions online."

The "spiral of silence" is a theory that posits that people tend to remain silent when they feel that their views are in opposition to the majority perspective on certain topics out of fear of social isolation. The study incorporates government mass surveillance in order to evaluate how the awareness of its presence impacts the views that people are willing to openly express.

The study's participants were surveyed about their personalities, beliefs, and online activity, and a psychological profile was crafted for each individual. A random sample group was then reminded of government surveillance. When taking part in a discussion regarding fictional US airstrikes on the Islamic State with other participants, the majority of those who were reminded of surveillance were found to be less likely to discuss their dissenting opinions. This included those who were determined to be less likely to self-censor.

"Normatively, these results provide important considerations for policymakers as they seek to renew, revise, and draft additional provisions that continue to allow bulk online data collection and mass surveillance practices," Stoycheff wrote. "Interestingly, the participants in this study who were the most susceptible to conformist behavior were those who supported these controversial surveillance policies. These individuals expressed that surveillance was necessary for maintaining national security and they have nothing to hide. However, when these individuals perceive they are being monitored, they readily conform their behavior-expressing opinions when they are in the majority, and suppressing them when they're not."

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
The title might as well be "Study finds that water is wet!". Silencing dissent is part of the entire reason for wanting surveillance powers to begin with, because even when your not taking action (actual or socially) the threat is always implicit by the knowledge that Big Brother is watching and his attention could fall on you at any time, as unlikely as it may be.

It's a grave we've dug for ourselves though, one piece at a time we've been allowing both the government and corporate establishments to strip away anonymity from mass communications. "Cute" things like Gabe's "Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory" lead people to lose track of what was really important, the ability of people with dissenting opinions to speak freely being more important than any number of "jerks" that might exploit anonymity to troll.

PsychicTaco115

I've Been Having These Weird Dreams Lately...
Legacy
Mar 17, 2012
Country
United States
I have no idea what this article is talking about

The opinions I post are mine alone, the NSA is a benevolent force for good

#KeepFundingNSA

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
PsychicTaco115 said:
I have no idea what this article is talking about

The opinions I post are mine alone, the NSA is a benevolent force for good

#KeepFundingNSA
I agree with this heartfelt opinion authored by the user and only the user without outside influence.

Spy agencies would never use this effect, even if it existed, for greedy self-preservation.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
In other news, water is indeed wet. Did we really need a study to find out that Big Brother can quell freedom of expression? There were books made about this nearly 70 years ago.

gact

May 26, 2014
water is wet, babies come from the stork, and diet coke is good for you

chocolate pickles

Apr 14, 2011
In other news, many ill educated Americans are too egotistical to realise the government doesn't care about their opinions, provided they aren't doing something illegal.

Shocking, i know.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
chocolate pickles said:
In other news, many ill educated Americans are too egotistical to realise the government doesn't care about their opinions, provided they aren't doing something illegal.

Shocking, i know.
That's why everything is made illegal.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Make no mistake, it's not a side effect, it's part of the design.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Fox12 said:
This is one case where saying "it's not a bug, it's a feature" fits perfectly.

chocolate pickles said:
Yeah, like murder! How dare my government make murder illegal! This is oppression.
So, we're totally going to forget that murder is murder and you don't need a government to make it illegal to find it a terrible thing?
Makes me laugh when people moan about things that 'could' be illegal. Basically, you support drugs. Just say it. You're wrong, but be open about it.
Pretty much anything is basically illegal. And unless I'm reading into this differently, yes I support drugs. Do whatever the hell you want with your body, it's not mine.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
In the words of a well respected Watson; No. Shit. Sherlock.

Oh, everybody's already said that. Ok. Yep, it's working as intended then? Good for them. Though I am not sure the more educated citizens will be as overjoyed at this revelation.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Therumancer said:
The title might as well be "Study finds that water is wet!".
Did you have any statistical data that showed this prior to the study? No? This is how science works. You collect data, you analyze it, you determine whether or not it's significant according to your null hypothesis. If it is significant it MIGHT be accurate. I have actually worked with data that seemed compelling. Then after doing the analysis I could determine that it was not significant. Commens like this might make you feel smart, but to me it just makes you look proud over the3 fact that you do not understand the basics of the scientific method. On that note, sometimes what seems obvious is proven to be incorrect. So rather than going "hurr durr, that's obvious" you could go "This doesn't come as a surprise, but it good to finally have a reliable source to back up my belief".

Remus said:
In other news, water is indeed wet. Did we really need a study to find out that Big Brother can quell freedom of expression? There were books made about this nearly 70 years ago.
Do we need data for drug studies? Do we need data to say risk of cancer is increased when you get exposed to ionizing radiation? Does anyone on this site actually understand science at all? Science isn't supposed to be biased. Just because it supports your opinion it doesn't mean that it's correct and it especially doesn't mean it's obvious. The question here is, do you accept the scientific method? If yes, then this study was needed in order to prove that. If no then I claim the earth was created by Santa Claus 100 years ago based on the fact that it sounds compelling.

Dreph

Jun 27, 2015
LegendaryGamer0 said:
Fox12 said:
This is one case where saying "it's not a bug, it's a feature" fits perfectly.

chocolate pickles said:
Yeah, like murder! How dare my government make murder illegal! This is oppression.
So, we're totally going to forget that murder is murder and you don't need a government to make it illegal to find it a terrible thing?
Makes me laugh when people moan about things that 'could' be illegal. Basically, you support drugs. Just say it. You're wrong, but be open about it.
Pretty much anything is basically illegal. And unless I'm reading into this differently, yes I support drugs. Do whatever the hell you want with your body, it's not mine.
I'll throw my support behind this as well. Personally my favorite drugs are antibiotics and a close second being over the counter painkillers. What's yours?

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
Yopaz said:
Therumancer said:
The title might as well be "Study finds that water is wet!".
Did you have any statistical data that showed this prior to the study? No? This is how science works. You collect data, you analyze it, you determine whether or not it's significant according to your null hypothesis. If it is significant it MIGHT be accurate. I have actually worked with data that seemed compelling. Then after doing the analysis I could determine that it was not significant. Commens like this might make you feel smart, but to me it just makes you look proud over the3 fact that you do not understand the basics of the scientific method. On that note, sometimes what seems obvious is proven to be incorrect. So rather than going "hurr durr, that's obvious" you could go "This doesn't come as a surprise, but it good to finally have a reliable source to back up my belief".

Remus said:
Do we need data for drug studies? Do we need data to say risk of cancer is increased when you get exposed to ionizing radiation? Does anyone on this site actually understand science at all? Science isn't supposed to be biased. Just because it supports your opinion it doesn't mean that it's correct and it especially doesn't mean it's obvious. The question here is, do you accept the scientific method? If yes, then this study was needed in order to prove that. If no then I claim the earth was created by Santa Claus 100 years ago based on the fact that it sounds compelling.
Agreed. Questioning the use of basic studies like this is a one-Jimmie ride to Rustle-town for me

Important to the scientific process: common sense is often wrong. So often wrong, that it's more important to check out than anyone would think. Common sense is Freud. Common sense is "scientific" racism. Common sense is that everything is made out of a combination of exactly 4 things. Common sense is that a bowling ball and feather fall at the same rate. Common sense is that a bowling ball and feather fall at different rates.

Why we have studies and data and empiricism.

Fox12

Jun 6, 2013
chocolate pickles said:
LegendaryGamer0 said:
chocolate pickles said:

Shocking, i know.
That's why everything is made illegal.

Why is it, every time someone mentions anything remotely libertarian, the other person has to try and shut it down by bringing it back to drugs? This is much bigger then that. I don't care that the government doesn't care. That's utterly irrelevant. The issue at hand is that they are overstepping their boundaries in matters of civil liberties. What groups like the NSA is doing is highly illegal.

And for the record, sure, why shouldn't drugs be decriminalized, or made legal? Why should I tell others what to do with their own bodies? The drug war has only made the drug problem worse, while guaranteeing that our prisons are overflowing with non-violent crime offenders, most of whom are poor or black. But yes, you're argument of "you're wrong" was so compelling that I may need to reconsider my stance. Never mind that countries that decriminalized drugs, while providing healthcare for addicts, saw a drastic reduction in drug related incidents and an improvement in public health.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
chocolate pickles said:

Shocking, i know.
Here's a fun link for you: COINTELPRO [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COINTELPRO]. The government can care about your opinion, and it has framed, persecuted and murdered people for belonging to the "wrong" group.

thewatergamer

Aug 4, 2012
When people are being watched and constantly have everything they ever say analyzed they tend to be more careful about what they say? What a shock!

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Fox12 said:
Why is it, every time someone mentions anything remotely libertarian, the other person has to try and shut it down by bringing it back to drugs? This is much bigger then that. I don't care that the government doesn't care. That's utterly irrelevant. The issue at hand is that they are overstepping their boundaries in matters of civil liberties. What groups like the NSA is doing is highly illegal.

And for the record, sure, why shouldn't drugs be decriminalized, or made legal? Why should I tell others what to do with their own bodies? The drug war has only made the drug problem worse, while guaranteeing that our prisons are overflowing with non-violent crime offenders, most of whom are poor or black. But yes, you're argument of "you're wrong" was so compelling that I may need to reconsider my stance. Never mind that countries that decriminalized drugs, while providing healthcare for addicts, saw a drastic reduction in drug related incidents and an improvement in public health.
Saw this the other day; http://jezebel.com/nixons-policy-advisor-admits-he-invented-war-on-drugs-t-1766359595
I am unsure on the opinions of the site and such, but certainly thought for food meanwhile.

Edit: Sorry for the crudeness of this link/post, just a little preoccupied currently.

Fox12

Jun 6, 2013
Xsjadoblayde said:
Fox12 said:

Saw this the other day; http://jezebel.com/nixons-policy-advisor-admits-he-invented-war-on-drugs-t-1766359595
I am unsure on the opinions of the site and such, but certainly thought for food meanwhile.

Edit: Sorry for the crudeness of this link/post, just a little preoccupied currently.
This is very interesting. I've never been one for conspiracies, but this wouldn't surprise me in the least. Thanks for sharing.