Aliens: Colonial Marines is Finally Fixed - Thanks to a Modder

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Aliens: Colonial Marines is Finally Fixed - Thanks to a Modder

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1308/1308565.jpgIt's amazing what mods can do for a game. They can add content, extend games, and even make something completely new for gamers to enjoy. They can also fix problems that developers don't have the time, budget, or inclination to address

That's what this mod is all about. Titled "TemplarGFX's ACM Overhaul," it introduces a host of fixes to the gameplay of Gearbox's poorly-received shooter. Not only does it make the Xenomorphs faster and more aggressive, it re-balances a number of other systems as well. Changes have been made to weapons, ballistics, lighting, decals, and more.

The mod's description on ModDB [http://www.moddb.com/mods/templargfxs-acm-overhaul] says,

"Experience Aliens: Colonial Marines how it should have been when it came out. Heavily Balanced and Play-Tested for exciting, suspenseful and most importantly, FUN game play."

If you've always wanted A:CM to be more than it was at release, this mod may be the answer for you. Check it out at ModDB [http://www.moddb.com/mods/templargfxs-acm-overhaul].

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
A:CM always had a "what could have been..." vibe when I saw gameplay of it. I'm actually a little curious now. Who knows, if the game is ever on sale for like ?2 I might pick it up to see the work these guys did.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
After reading the changes towards gameplay, I instantly lost interest - if you're changing gameplay, you're not fixing anything, you're making stuff up from scratch.

TehAardvark

Apr 4, 2011
Bindal said:
After reading the changes towards gameplay, I instantly lost interest - if you're changing gameplay, you're not fixing anything, you're making stuff up from scratch.
.... you realize that's what a mod DOES right? If it doesn't change gameplay than it's a reskin....

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Cowabungaa said:
A:CM always had a "what could have been..." vibe when I saw gameplay of it. I'm actually a little curious now. Who knows, if the game is ever on sale for like ?2 I might pick it up to see the work these guys did.
Yeah, I figure if I could spend $20 on ARMA 2 to play that piece of crap Day Z, I can invest $2.99 to try this out.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
TehAardvark said:
Bindal said:
.... you realize that's what a mod DOES right? If it doesn't change gameplay than it's a reskin....
No, it's a gameplay change, turning the thing into something different - a fix does just does what it's called: Fixes issues and potentially re-enable disabled or removed graphical features or AI behavior that were removed for technical issues or lack of time.

A fix does NOT turn the rare armor pickup into YOUR ONLY CHANCE TO SURVIVE MORE THAN ONE BULLET BECAUSE THE MODDER THOUGHT THAT IS HOW THINGS SHOULD BE!

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
ffronw said:
Yeah, I figure if I could spend $20 on ARMA 2 to play that piece of crap Day Z, I can invest $2.99 to try this out.
Day Z isn't a pile of crap, it's a ratty old car that you pulled out a scrap heap with a friend. Doesn't always work, rough and rattly, but loads and loads of fun to do stupid things in.

Rather like a ratmobile Day Z will never truly run properly... and then you get a real car and I'm losing track of this analogy.

I think what I'm trying to say is that Day Z is a fundamentally entertaining game under the smoke and loose bolts, whilst Colonial Marines was just a pile of loose bolts.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
fix-the-spade said:
ffronw said:
Day Z isn't a pile of crap, it's a ratty old car that you pulled out a scrap heap with a friend. Doesn't always work, rough and rattly, but loads and loads of fun to do stupid things in.

Rather like a ratmobile Day Z will never truly run properly... and then you get a real car and I'm losing track of this analogy.

I think what I'm trying to say is that Day Z is a fundamentally entertaining game under the smoke and loose bolts, whilst Colonial Marines was just a pile of loose bolts.
And in worst case, you ended up paying for Arma 2, which is a great experience in itself.
OT: Noticed the game on steam today for about 10$, but I'm trying to not buy any more games atm seeing as I'm dangerously close to 500 games now and still haven't touched half of it. Alien Isolation has been waiting patiently in my steam library for a long time now as well.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I keep getting killed right at the start of that game. Pity.

They really need a true easy mode for this stuff or cheats like infinite ammo, no reload and invincibility.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
To this day I still do not know why people were so hyped and then angry at this game?

I knew this was gonna suck with the common sense that movie licensed games in this day and age are crap.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Samtemdo8 said:
To this day I still do not know why people were so hyped and then angry at this game?

I knew this was gonna suck with the common sense that movie licensed games in this day and age are crap.
It's because people felt they were straight up lied to. There's shining up your trailer, and then there's what happened here. The trailer was basically for a completely different game. What was shipped was a half-hearted effort at best and felt like a betrayal to a lot of people. Especially considering that the gameplay trailer looked like it was actually capturing the feeling of Aliens.

It would be like if PT ended up coming out, but instead of that horrifying atmosphere in the small hallway, we got a muscle head hacking things to death in that hallway. It might have the same basic design, but it's a completely different game, and experience, from what was advertised.

Cether

Mar 29, 2011
Samtemdo8 said:

The live "gameplay trailer" which was fake as all hell, used a completely custom built version of the game that shared almost nothing in common with the release game outside of art assets. It wasn't just a disappointment, it was a straight up fabrication. I can't think of a single time that a publisher and developer (Sega/Gearbox in this case) have lied harder to the public about their product.

KenAri

Jan 13, 2013
Pretty interesting game to mod. I thought this one was on the 'Didn't happen' list from fans.

Be interested to see how much is actually changed, but imo the original developers do not deserve a penny for it.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Bindal said:
No, it's a gameplay change, turning the thing into something different - a fix does just does what it's called: Fixes issues and potentially re-enable disabled or removed graphical features or AI behavior that were removed for technical issues or lack of time.

A fix does NOT turn the rare armor pickup into YOUR ONLY CHANCE TO SURVIVE MORE THAN ONE BULLET BECAUSE THE MODDER THOUGHT THAT IS HOW THINGS SHOULD BE!
i think a "fix" is used here in the context of the modder fixing mistakes developers did in the gameplay mechanics rather than technical bugs.

fix-the-spade said:
ffronw said:
except in this analogy the Junker was sold to you for the price of ferrari and you were promised that it will run as well, and after 3 years when every service visit seems to make it even worse you were just told "tough, your a sucker for buying it" or "Were still working on that engine, honest guys"