Watch: The First Gears of War 4 Trailer

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Watch: The First Gears of War 4 Trailer

Hello darkness, my old friend...

Earlier this month Gears of War 4 got a release date, and we got a look at the game's cover art [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167104-Gears-of-War-4-Release-Date-Cover-Art]. Today, we've got a trailer, titled 'Tomorrow.'

In the new trailer we get a look at Marcus' son, JD Fenix, flashing between a happy childhood with his parents and the current not-so-happy warring at his childhood home. All of this is punctuated by Disturbed's cover of the Simon and Garfunkel song "The Sound of Silence."

"At the conclusion of Gears of War 3, Marcus Fenix wondered what tomorrow would bring," a post on Xbox Wire [http://news.xbox.com/2016/04/10/gears-of-war-4-tomorrow-trailer-debut/] reads. "What a world without war would look like. This is the story of two tomorrows - the one Marcus envisioned, and the one 25 years later, where all hope is shattered as a new nightmare is reborn."

This isn't the first time this month that a video game has used "The Sound of Silence" in its marketing, although the Dark Souls usage [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167123-Sad-Affleck-Meme-Used-to-Promote-Dark-Souls-3] was a little less serious...

Gears of War 4 launches on October 11 for Xbox One. The multiplayer beta [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/166856-Gears-of-War-4-Open-Beta-Details-Announced] will open in early access from April 18-April 24 for gamers who have logged into Xbox Live and played Gears of War: Ultimate Edition on either Xbox One or Windows 10 prior to 11pm PDT on April 11. On April 25 everyone else will be able to hop in, assuming they are a qualifying Xbox Live Gold member. The beta will then run through May 1.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Marcus Fenix's head looks weird on a thinner, armor less body.

Anyway, wow, we are getting less than a minute CGI trailers now? If you're going to have cinematic trailers, at least make them interesting to watch.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Hopefully this means Marcus Fenix a.k.a the man responsible for the ending of "Gears of War 3", is dead. I can only hope, and pray, and beg.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
Maybe this time the locust will learn not to leave their base in precisely timed intervals so that when you clear a room and go through the doors you had just seen the locust come from the next room isn't empty until you see them enter from a new room which will also mysteriously be empty when you first enter it.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Evonisia said:
Hopefully this means Marcus Fenix a.k.a the man responsible for the ending of "Gears of War 3", is dead. I can only hope, and pray, and beg.
Depending how you read the trailer, he's either dead or REALLY old now. As I would say the soldier running throught the forest is the young boy Marcus is hugging are the same at two different ages and the tree is without a doubt the same one.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
So good 'ole Marcus got married to that army chick who's name I can't remember. Maybe Tanya? And had a kid. You play as said kid. Joy.

I'm not going to say my interest in this game was that high or anything, but I was hoping that we would get a completely new cast with no relation to the former. But considering I don't even own and Xbox One, I doubt my opinion matters less than anyone else.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Nitpick:

A new nightmare cannot be reborn. In order for something to be reborn, it has to have been born--and therefore existed--beforehand. If that is the case, then it can't be new. So it's either a new nightmare is born, or just a nightmare is reborn. Can't have both. Silly Xbox Wire people.

Anyway, I liked the Gears of War series. Dumb fun and great co op. This may be the game that finally makes me pick up an Xbox One, because by the time it comes out there should be enough exclusives for me to justify it. I'm curious if they're going to try and tie up all the loose ends from the first series, or if they'll just go, "Screw it, it's online, go read it yourself."

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Evonisia said:
Um...what was wrong with Marcus at the end of GoW 3? Myrrah dead, Locust and Lambent dead, humanity can rebuild. Doesn't sound like a FUBAR to me.

Anyway, trailer is cliche, but I kind of like it, and for one key reason. An early GoW 1 trailer showed Marcus running through a ruined city before diving into a building, only to be confronted by a Corpser, to which he began firing. Here, we have JD running, coming to his ruined form, only to be confronted by a Swarm creature. If it's a callback to the original trailer, it's a nice touch.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Hawki said:
Marcus grows increasingly unlikeable throughout the third game and the ending gives him a heroic, congratulatory cutscene. The trying-to-be-badass quote he gives Myrrah about Dom rots my brain because of that leap of logic[footnote]Myrrah is definitely partially to blame, but A)Dom's death was dumb and unnecessary and B)Marcus shares none of the blame - putting it all on Myrrah when the Humans and the Lambent could also share responsibility by his insane logic.[/footnote].Hell, it gives him two if you include the scene where he's brooding and Anya comforts him after the Imulsion Machine thing.

Plus he's responsible for setting the Imulsion Machine off - said machine and the circumstances that set it off being a huge part of why I hate the ending in general. It's not just Marcus that makes it FUBAR, admittedly, but he's just another aspect of the game that just utterly falls apart by the end.