The Original Star Wars Trilogy Returns to Select Theaters This Summer

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
The Original Star Wars Trilogy Returns to Select Theaters This Summer

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1311/1311582.jpg

The original trilogy will be shown in select Alamo Drafthouse theaters, spanning across 20 cities, this summer.

A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi will be returning to the big screen this summer. As reported by Entertainment Weekly [http://www.ew.com/article/2016/04/12/star-wars-original-trilogy-alamo?xid=entertainment-weekly_socialflow_twitter], Star Wars Episodes IV-VI will be making their way back to theaters this August. Across 20 cities, the original trilogy will be shown in select Alamo Drafthouse theaters.

"Travel with us back to a galaxy far, far away... For the first time in over a decade Alamo Drafthouse is bringing the original Star Wars trilogy roaring back to big screens at movie palaces and performing arts centers across the country this August," a post on ReturnOfTheTrilogy.com [https://drafthouse.com/event/the-return-of-the-trilogy] reads.

"Not only that, but each "Return of the Trilogy" screening will be its own one-of-a-kind event," it continues. "Some will be galactic-sized triple feature marathons, while others will even take place beneath the actual stars! All shows will feature specially curated videos & clips between films, contests (Jedi mind tricks, anyone?), props to bring the power of the Force to life, and loads of other Star Wars insanity."

Tickets will go on sale on Star Wars day, May 4th - May the 4th be with you - here [https://drafthouse.com/event/the-return-of-the-trilogy].

Wondering if you'll have a chance to see, or re-see, the films on the big screen? Check out the dates and locations below:

August 6 - San Francisco, CA / The Warfield
August 6 - Kansas City, MO / The Midland Theatre
August 6 - Washington, D.C. / Warner Theatre
August 6 - Los Angeles, CA / The Theatre at the Ace Hotel
August 6 - New York, NY / The Town Hall
August 6 - Miami, FL / Olympia Theatre
August 6 - San Antonio, TX Majestic Theatre
August 7 - New York, NY / Kings Theatre
August 7 - Dallas, TX / Majestic Theatre
August 11 - 13 - Austin, TX / The Long Center for the Performing Arts
August 13 - Philadelphia, PA / The Keswick Theatre
August 13 - Louisville, KY / Brown Theatre
August 20 - Oakland, CA / Paramount Theatre
August 27 - Boston, MA / The Boston Opera House
Date TBD - Houston, TX / Venue TBD
Date TBD - Denver, CO / Venue TBD

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
Lizzy Finnegan said:
The original trilogy
The ORIGINAL original trilogy? Or, the remastered original trilogy.

I saw the remastered trilogy back prior to prequels, and I don't have any desire to see them again.
But, if it's the non-remastered version, I'd be interested in going.

Danbo Jambo

Sep 26, 2014
madwarper said:
Lizzy Finnegan said:
The original trilogy
The ORIGINAL original trilogy? Or, the remastered original trilogy.

I saw the remastered trilogy back prior to prequels, and I don't have any desire to see them again.
But, if it's the non-remastered version, I'd be interested in going.
Exactly THIS^

I'm from the UK so screwed anyway, but if they get a release over here I'll be praying it's the original version, not the God-awful butchered remastered ones.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I have the original trilogy on both VHS and DVD, but man I would love to see these movies in theaters. I wasn't alive when they were released, and I never got a chance to even see the "Remastered" editions when they came out because I was in grade school and going to the movies wasn't frequent.

But of course, Nevada is never on these lists, and when it is, it's always Vegas. Reno exists too, you guys!

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Milk that cow Disney, milk it HARD. Don't worry about the blood I'm sure it'll be fine. Besides, you can always sell off the meat when you finally milk it dry.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
I hope it's the original version which includes scenes like Garvin Dreis telling Luke he flew with his father and if he is half as decent as him he will do fine :3

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Ah the only important question in Star Wars.

Are we watching the theatrical release... or are we watching the George Lucas Must Die release?

Truly the nineties have a lot to answer for.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
No showings near me? Come on, Atlanta isn't a small market! I'd have to go to Miami to see this. That's a good 9 hour drive. Not counting stops for gas and food, so probably closer to 10 hours. I'd love to see the original (real original) trilogy in theaters as I was born after the initial showings. I'd probably get tickets for my parents, too.

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
Soviet Heavy said:
But what edition of the films will they be?
The article says the films will be presented in their 1997 re-release format about half-way down.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
twistedmic said:
The article says the films will be presented in their 1997 re-release format about half-way down.
Killed it. Only going just to see the last 5-10 minutes of Empire.
You had one job, guys.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
I could not give less of a damn which version of the films they are showing - I would go to one of these regardless. That being said, I do much prefer the 1997 versions over the ones released on Blu-Ray... or the originals, for that matter.

thewatergamer

Aug 4, 2012
Yeah which version are we talking about here? I don't think the special editions were as bad as alot of people say, but they were certainly worse...so are they showing the Digitally Enhanced Originals that are no longer available, or the CGI-Barf special edition?

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
You know, if they had showings anywhere near the actual midwest I'd probably consider going, but it's like they completely ignored the center of the country.

Also, blah blah what version blah. Yeah, I'm not paying to see that awful blu ray version ever, but especially not in theaters.

I can't help but feel disney missed the idea of putting the trilogy in theaters again: let us all see it. Maybe they are just testing the waters for the 40th anniversary next year. Between this theatrical release and how awful the toys turned out, I'm not sure disney quite knows what to do with the franchise that would be different from everything else they own.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I saw the remastered versions when they came out here in Australia, the one I saw didn't have Whiny Anakin as the Force Ghost.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Can I just say I never got the hate for the remasters? Plot points aren't altered, nothing substantial changes as far as the narrative is concerned - are people honestly frothing mad about a couple CGI Dewbacks and Han talking to a retroactively-upgraded Jabba the Hutt?

Granted, he's plastered Hayden Christensen's face over the ending scenes for Return of the Jedi, but there's honestly worse out there.

If anything, the only detail that's irked me is in The Force Awakens - it being C3P0's red arm. I'm guessing we'll never see it again, and that it was included solely for merchandising purposes. Kind of the same way the entire fandom got convinced Boba Fett was some kind of big deal thanks to strategic toy sales and the old Expanded Universe's use of Jango Fett.

Petromir

Apr 10, 2010
IamLEAM1983 said:
Can I just say I never got the hate for the remasters? Plot points aren't altered, nothing substantial changes as far as the narrative is concerned - are people honestly frothing mad about a couple CGI Dewbacks and Han talking to a retroactively-upgraded Jabba the Hutt?

Granted, he's plastered Hayden Christensen's face over the ending scenes for Return of the Jedi, but there's honestly worse out there.

If anything, the only detail that's irked me is in The Force Awakens - it being C3P0's red arm. I'm guessing we'll never see it again, and that it was included solely for merchandising purposes. Kind of the same way the entire fandom got convinced Boba Fett was some kind of big deal thanks to strategic toy sales and the old Expanded Universe's use of Jango Fett.
There's only one bit I give the slightest bit of time to people who complain about and thats the change in who shot first, as that's the only meaningful change.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
IamLEAM1983 said:

It mostly just boils down to wanting to see the original movies as you saw. If you take anything you like and then someone insists on showing you one that they've gone and made changes to to make it 'better'. It sort of takes away from it for you.

That and I think it really irked some people that it became increasingly impossible to get solid copies of the original unaltered films.

Personally, I can watch the original special editions without tearing out my eyes. Even though I consider them vastly inferior to the originals. However, I can't watch the Blu-Ray changes because some of them actually infuriate me. Darth Vader's Nooooo! for example. It actually ruins a scene for me. So I'd take a blurry VHS copy of the originals any day. I don't rage about it, just my preference.

OT: If these WERE the originals and unaltered. I might have to endure the lines to see them.