The DOOM Open Beta Has Been Extended

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
The DOOM Open Beta Has Been Extended

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1313/1313216.jpgIf you didn't get a chance to try out DOOM's open beta this weekend, you've been granted an extra 24 hours to get it done.

The DOOM open beta was supposed to end last night [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167159-Preloads-Begin-for-DOOM-Open-Beta], but id Software and Bethesda have extended it 24 hours. That means that the open beta will now end at 11:59 PM ET tonight.

If you haven't played it yet, you can download it on Steam [http://store.steampowered.com/app/350470/], on PS4, or on Xbox One.

Opinion on the beta so far appears to be sharply divided, judging from the comments on the Steam announcement [http://steamcommunity.com/games/350470/announcements/detail/622996262202758402] of the open beta extension. They range from positive - "I like this new DOOM! Way better than I expect!" and "Keep Doom coming forward because its better than people realize." - to the negative - "1 month to sort it out, or watch your company fall into disgrace," and "I asked for a old school arena shooter, not Call of Duty set on [sic] Hell."

You've got about 15 hours of beta time left. If you check it out, let us know what you think in the forums.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
played it, and got bored pretty quickly. looks and feels generic with over use of brown filter that made everything look dull. also the mouse felt not so smooth as it should.
so yes, the beta fails and im afraid the campaign may not deliver since they force us some MP crap which of course doom is know for.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Ugh, dammit, I already uninstalled it. I enjoyed it, I think the beta sold me on the game. It felt a bit weird but different enough even though the aesthetics of the marine model really make me think too much of halo, although the animations you unlock give them so much character and inform us that they didn't take it as seriously as something like cod.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Worgen said:
It felt a bit weird but different enough even though the aesthetics of the marine model really make me think too much of halo, although the animations you unlock give them so much character and inform us that they didn't take it as seriously as something like cod.
What do you mean? Blops 3 has a shit ton of such animations (I'm assuming here you mean the emotes that look like they we're ripped straight out of a Skyrim mod).

I mean, just look at this.

<youtube=vUqrLST5VzI>

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Bob_McMillan said:
Worgen said:
It felt a bit weird but different enough even though the aesthetics of the marine model really make me think too much of halo, although the animations you unlock give them so much character and inform us that they didn't take it as seriously as something like cod.
What do you mean? Blops 3 has a shit ton of such animations (I'm assuming here you mean the emotes that look like they we're ripped straight out of a Skyrim mod).

I mean, just look at this.

<youtube=vUqrLST5VzI>
Yeah, but all of those that I've seen are more of the douchbag variety, the ones in doom seem to be having more fun with it. Like one of them is the salute from space balls, and the dances are just silly, plus you have one where you make a heart. Dooms are just more silly, which I respect.

Gutsripper

Aug 23, 2010
ffronw said:
Opinions on the beta so far appears to be sharply divided
Really?

I wouldn't call 4,836 Positive and 7,881 Negative sharply divided, that's pretty much overwhelmingly negative.
Even the positive reviews aren't that great really.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
I played a couple round and didn't enjoy it. It just felt like a big clusterfuck. Run shoot die. Run shoot get a kill die. Run die.

I dunno. Maybe I'm not hardcore enough but I felt like I was just in a big meat grinder with no room for strategy or staying alive for more than a minute.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Meh.

Dispite the multiplayer being outsourced, it doesn't seem to be much diffirent from the campaign.
ID lost my hype a few months ago.

Now excuse me, I'll play the first Doom on my DS.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
"DOOM Beta extended"

Yay.

"PSN down for maintenance"

Boo.

Eh, don't know if I was gonna play it anyway but my right to choose is gone!

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
MHR said:
Why extend this and drag out the suffering?
It is the decree of Hell that those of the physical universe pay the price for their hubris. Through blood and fire, the interlopers that have dared enter our domain shall be punished. Fight, oh warriors of Earth, fight. And know that as the last of you falls, as the last drop of blood consecrates this hallow ground, know that your world shall know the same, a thousand times over.

Look upon your world, all mighty, and despair.

So speaks Baphomet, Lord of Hell.

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
Hawki said:
MHR said:
Why extend this and drag out the suffering?
It is the decree of Hell that those of the physical universe pay the price for their hubris. Through blood and fire, the interlopers that have dared enter our domain shall be punished. Fight, oh warriors of Earth, fight. And know that as the last of you falls, as the last drop of blood consecrates this hallow ground, know that your world shall know the same, a thousand times over.

Look upon your world, all mighty, and despair.

So speaks Baphomet, Lord of Hell.
Well it feels immersive at least.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
JUMBO PALACE said:
I played a couple round and didn't enjoy it. It just felt like a big clusterfuck. Run shoot die. Run shoot get a kill die. Run die.

I dunno. Maybe I'm not hardcore enough but I felt like I was just in a big meat grinder with no room for strategy or staying alive for more than a minute.
Nah, sounds about normal for the classic 90s FPS feel in MP. All reflex shooting. Maybe a tiny bit of strategy and map learning in running for the good guns (though from what I've read, they didn't keep that, and instead spawn a single good gun somewhere to trigger a cluster**** battle over it.